Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jdg Quote
What color space do you set in your camera's? And which is the best to use sRGB or adobe RGB?
I've just read though the thread and I can see why there is so much confusion regarding colour spaces (though there were some very good practical responses too, which?).

In order to implement an Adobe RGB work-flow (or any other colour space) in contrast to many recommendations you do not need a monitor capable of displaying a full Adobe RBG gamut, you just need it to be correctly profiled and to be using it in conjunction with a colour space aware operating system and applications.

Whether there would be any advantage in working in a colour space with a wider gamut than sRGB really depends on the capabilities of the output device that you are sending your files to. For screens generally sRGB is the preference, for external print services generally sRGB is the preference unless they specifically indicate otherwise. Some personal ink jet printers have ink sets that can print a wider gamut than sRGB so in these cases the use of Adobe RGB colour space may result in more colourful prints (though not necessarily matched to the printers capabilities).

In any case the overall consideration when working in colour space other than sRGB is that colour management is in place and most preferably the system has a hardware calibrated monitor.

Cheers,

03-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Exactly why I never use sRGB and only Adobe RGB 1998. A much wider colour gamut. It is what is demanded by the magazines and in TIFF or PSD format.
I'm curious, Ben, if you're willing to share.... Do you have one of those fancy monitors, or do you do your color work mostly by printing proofs? The latter method just seems so tedious to me. (I don't mean that as a negative against anyone who does put in the extra work for good results, of course!)
03-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

personally i shoot adobe rgb1998, monitor is calibrated to argb1998, and all profiles in adobe software are set to argb, my printer is calibrated as near to it as possible. ( re' printing i once learned that the printers optimum output level should be used in printing (?) as i was taking a course when i was told this, i took it as said and called epson to find out the OOL for their printer, amazingly, no one could tell me and after three calls with no results a friend told me its around 240-300dpi....or is it ppi?....anyway after making all those adjustments, prints still yeilded a slight shift to magenta combine that with a slight hi-sat to red in camera, and well, you get the idea......The major problem i've had in outsourcing print jobs, is that often they color enhance, and if not informed that it was done in pp'g, it adds gamut to the print and does some amazing color shifts to the negative.......all that made me wonder why i became a digital junkie, but i do love shooting and producing good images......as for the srgb vs. argb space you may wanna do some research.....here's a link to the Cambridge color web site and explanation of the difference in the color spaces....have a great day and good luck.

Working Space Comparison: sRGB vs. Adobe RGB 1998
03-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jdg Quote
What color space do you set in your camera's? And which is the best to use sRGB or adobe RGB?
Most decent printers will print more colours than are visible on an average monitor. The sRGB space was really invented for monitors although that was a while ago and these days quite a few higher end displays and adapters can show wider gamuts.

However if you dont want to use colour management and you have a regular monitor, sRGB files will display more or less OK without adjustment or conversion. Similarly if you want to publish on the web you should use sRGB or convert to sRGB for the output files so they will look OK on other peoples monitors.

If you have a decent printer and want to develop your files in the aRGB space, then you should edit them in an editor that is "colour space aware" ie. one that can interpret the input colour space (aRGB, sRGB, colourmatchRGB etc) and map it to your monitor's colour space so as to maintain contrast and not distort the colours. Of course if your monitor has a smaller colour space you may not actually see all the hues you get in the final print and over zealous editing may lead to some clipping when it is converted into the larger printer colour space.

Similarly your printer has its own colour space, and it can map aRGB or sRGB onto that space. As most printers can print a wider range of blues and greens than sRGB allows, using aRGB will provide slightly better colour in these ranges. However there are other colour spaces as well, and your RAW file can generate any that your RAW converter supports.

So if you are serious about printing art-quality prints or submitting to major publications, I would suggest you buy a decent monitor and printer and use a wide gamut colour space like aRGB, though a book on how to work with colour management enabled in photoshop is not a bad idea. It can get a bit confusing!!!

03-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
I've just read though the thread and I can see why there is so much confusion regarding colour spaces (though there were some very good practical responses too, which?).

In order to implement an Adobe RGB work-flow (or any other colour space) in contrast to many recommendations you do not need a monitor capable of displaying a full Adobe RBG gamut, you just need it to be correctly profiled and to be using it in conjunction with a colour space aware operating system and applications.

Whether there would be any advantage in working in a colour space with a wider gamut than sRGB really depends on the capabilities of the output device that you are sending your files to. For screens generally sRGB is the preference, for external print services generally sRGB is the preference unless they specifically indicate otherwise. Some personal ink jet printers have ink sets that can print a wider gamut than sRGB so in these cases the use of Adobe RGB colour space may result in more colourful prints (though not necessarily matched to the printers capabilities).

In any case the overall consideration when working in colour space other than sRGB is that colour management is in place and most preferably the system has a hardware calibrated monitor.

Cheers,
I believe this is the first correct explanation in this thread re: color space.
03-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #21

I've noticed since I've learned how to correctly print from lightroom and letting lightroom manage the colors not the printer my prints are much better. Lightrooms working color space is pro photo rgb which has a wider color gamut than adobe rgb...Bob
03-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I've noticed since I've learned how to correctly print from lightroom and letting lightroom manage the colors not the printer my prints are much better. Lightrooms working color space is pro photo rgb which has a wider color gamut than adobe rgb...Bob
Indeed, the same applies to Photoshop when used for printing. Editing in a wide gamut colour space and then letting the application convert the working colour space to the print device colour space generally yields the best print gamut and match.
03-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #23
PDL
Pentaxian

I have been using aRGB since 2005 as my default color space. I also shoot exclusively RAW and I am fully aware that color space in RAW is only a flag that tells the reading program what the camera was set too, so the program can use that as a display parameter. I also print with the OS drivers set to aRGB - it works sort of since my printer is very old and does not support explicit profiles. I have my monitor calibrated with the Huey Pro.

That said, if I were looking to do this all over - I would take a serious look at a new device ColorMunki ColorMunki for photograhers - a Monitor and Printer profiler. Now you can get all of the color matching done at home - but it is a bit pricey. You can still get a pre-defined color image - print it on your favorite printer and send it to a company to get a profile created for you. Eventhough you know you will need to re-callibrate your printer when you - change ink, change paper etc. I used to develop color in a darkroom (back in the days when I had hair) you had to do test/calibration prints when you changed - paper (with a defined cym setting on the side) bulb in the enlarger (color temp really changed) film manufacture (Kodak, Fuji - usually what I shot) film lot number (emulsion changed from batch to batch - I used to buy 20-40 rolls at a time to get the same emulsion batch). Shooting with digital is easier, but just pick one and stick with it to get the results you like.

Consistancy is very important - if you do prints - use what is best for prints. If yourshoot for the web - use what is best for the web.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

03-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
jdg
Forum Member

Original Poster
Why does the color's of my photo's change when i upload them to flickr or photobucket, does it have something to do with the color space settings of my monitor and adobe cs3?
03-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #25

It could be...What color space are you sending them to the host? Anything being posted to the web should be sent in srgb....Bob
03-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are not printing use sRGB. If you print use aRGB. When I first opened some K20 images in Lightroom I noticed moire effects in sRGB which went away when I switched to aRGB.