Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #1

First outing with K10D

So this last weekend it was a little warmer here in Madison and the crazy 8 inches of snow we got on Friday was starting to melt. So I took my new K10D out. It was so crazy bright with the sun bouncing off the snow I could hardly see the info in the viewfinder. I haven't searched my manual full yet, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here knew if I could display the viewfinder info on the back LCD. I hope I can.. I couldn't see that darn green in the light, and my eyes are not tired or old (at least I don't think they should be I'm not even 30 yet!) No insult to any of our "seasoned" members..

If you can help me out or direct me to the page in my wonderfully unhelpful manual, I'd be grateful. Does anyone else feel the manual is a little too vague at times.. Maybe I just think somethings should be more complicated...

I still haven't figured out what "hyper program mode" is... So anyone who has any insight on that I am all EYES !! LOL (not ears because you aren't talking to me!)

Thanks...
Nikki

03-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most of the viewfinder info is on the top LCD.
If it's that bright, you won't be able to see the back LCD...

Here's info on hyperprogram mode:
K10D HyperProgram Mode - Pentax / Samsung dSLR - Digital SLR Cameras - Steves-digicams.com Forums

BTW, if you're in any of the other modes besides green, the green button will let the camera choose what it would have chosen w/o you adjusting anything.
03-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Kenyee,
I thought I was the only one confused by the hyper mode. thanks for the link.
03-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ok so maybe I have answered my own question but I am at work and unable to try this ... what if you press the info button while in "capture mode" will it display you viewfinder info on the back LCD? I will forget to try this when I get home, so if anyone is bored and wants to try ... let me know..

03-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
Ok so maybe I have answered my own question but I am at work and unable to try this ... what if you press the info button while in "capture mode" will it display you viewfinder info on the back LCD? I will forget to try this when I get home, so if anyone is bored and wants to try ... let me know..
On my K20D, if i press the info button, Iit shows the shutter speed and diaphragm and EV comp and so on. Since the K10 and K20 are so closely related, I guess it should work on the K10D. For myself, I always checked the top LCD, never thought of pushing the info switch to check, but you get a lot more info on the rear screen. Good thinking!
03-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yep, it displays the same info and even what focal length the lens is at. I use it when I want to bump my Sigma 17-70 into the 20mm range where it has less distortion.

But again, in the described circumstance where it's too bright out, it might not be visible unless you shade it w/ your hands or something else...
03-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To be quite honest, having ever never used the Pentax before - I found the manual easy to understand and was up and running in no time.

I use the hyperprogram a lot as it allows me to adjust either shutterspeed or aperture (via front and back wheels) according to my needs while keeping the same exposure - a very nice function

Living in SA we have very bright sunlight on ocean and beach and generally can see the green led's quite easily - I also use the top lcd a lot for quick ref.

I use AV most of the time as each lens has its aperture best performance sweet spot and I
set it to that. The sweet spot (general rule of thumb) is normally 2 stops down from wide open - with a really good prime as little as 1 stop

cheers

D

03-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
To be quite honest, having ever never used the Pentax before - I found the manual easy to understand and was up and running in no time.

I use the hyperprogram a lot as it allows me to adjust either shutterspeed or aperture (via front and back wheels) according to my needs while keeping the same exposure - a very nice function

Living in SA we have very bright sunlight on ocean and beach and generally can see the green led's quite easily - I also use the top lcd a lot for quick ref.

I use AV most of the time as each lens has its aperture best performance sweet spot and I
set it to that. The sweet spot (general rule of thumb) is normally 2 stops down from wide open - with a really good prime as little as 1 stop

cheers

D
You can set your default programme line to MTF, and then the green button will default to the lens' sweet spot.
03-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

cheers

D

I am someone who is a audio learner not such a visual learner. Maybe I should dictate the manual and listen to it on a tape... LOL Well I don't know if you have ever shot picts on a bright blue day with a nice blanket of snow but it is much brighter than you'd expect!! I have never been to SA so I can't say I'd know what the brightness of the sun is like there, but I really couldn't see my viewfinder info..
03-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

whats in the viewfinder is also on the top LCD screen, if you want more and facy info press the info button on the left of the screen and it will show up on the LCD screen
03-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
Forum Member

So... you took your K10D out for its first run and you're not sharing any pics with us?

03-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by APEHAUS Quote
So... you took your K10D out for its first run and you're not sharing any pics with us?

hehe well I did yesterday if you want pics of my first outing go here: and check the snow images as the others were taken on my old camera

Simon's Photography Gallery - Irchester
03-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanx for the info, Canada

I wonder if the other makes of DSLR have that?
d
03-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You can set your default programme line to MTF, and then the green button will default to the lens' sweet spot.
as in it will assess your focal length and automatically select shutter speed and aperture ? cool
03-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
as in it will assess your focal length and automatically select shutter speed and aperture ? cool
If it is a Pentax A lens or later, the info is coded into the lens' chip. The MTF programme line forces the use of the sharpest apertures. Try it - you might like it. I did and I don't. YMMV as they say.