Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Any Other Recovering Fujiholics Out There?

Hey All, I admit, I was swayed to the pressure of buying Fuji bridgecams for the last two years, first it was the s5200,then I bought a s700/5700 and finally was lured into buying a s8000 and it's long 18x zoom. They all promised (mostly the s0000) DSLR quality without the muss and fuss of changing lenses. I guess you get what you pay for, These Fuji cams do produce shots in very low light provided you have ear plugs (lots of noise at even 400 ISO or lower) Macros are great but that's about the only thing I can say about Fuji cams. Now I am a recovering Fujiholic and back to the brand that got me started in photography as a kid (used to have a Pentax Spotmatic F) and relearning to have more control over my cam instead of the other way around. Anyone else been swayed by the brochures that Fuji produced and thought, "I never get those kind of results?" I have seen the light and never going back. My K100D is quite the learning machine but that's what I wanted at a reasonable price and it delivers.

Barry

03-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #2

My camera before K10D was a fuji S5200. I'm not even going to compare them (it wouldn't be like comparing apples to oranges ..... more like carrots to watermelons ), but for the price (very low) I was quite happy with it. My girlfriends powershot a430 produces horrible noise even at iso 200, with S5200 iso 200 was quite acceptable, and if some quite filmlike grain was not a problem I could shoot in RAW at iso 400 and still get something (800 was of course awful). I used it during a week long trip to Italy, and I must say I never felt like I was missing shots because of a lack of some feature. As much as I've heard fuji cams were quite good (because of their Super CCD sensors) until they went for the megapixel race.
03-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at the Fuji's and a couple of others like it and and was tempted but I still wanted the K10D and bought one. About a month after I got the K10D I saw a Fuji5200 in my local Ritz store for 84 dollars on clearance and bought it for my daughter as a Christmas present. She's away at college but sends pics and she's getting good results but I think she would rather have an SLR too. Her roommate has a Canon XTI. Got to keep up I guess.
03-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll keep my E-550

I got an e-550 off Ebay for only $15.00 and except for the zoom, the camera is just as good as the s8000. Ive never been happy with the results of my friend's Pentax pocket P&S digcam Procyon, you are right, Fujis were good at one time and they thought adding more MPs to a cam instead of improving the sensor would make for better results. wrong. I'm finding that shots made at 200 ISO at 6MP setting on the Pentax look better than the Fuji does at 100 ISO at 8MP.Anyone seen pics from the new Fuji s100fs? It's a $799 bridge cam with the worst purple fringing I've seen in a long time. At least Pentax seems to listen to their owners.

Barry

03-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #5

I had a Panasonic FZ50 for a short while. I knew my heart wasn't in it. I really wanted a DSLR but the fiance' wanted to see if this would sothe me. It was nice to have just one lense that could go from wide to telephoto in seconds, but I hated the viewfinder and felt like I was using an advanced point and shoot camera. At times when I am learning my new K10D, I think wow this is very complex. BUT it is what I wanted.. right? Be careful what you wish for.. The DSLR world is definately more of an investment but I feel more fulfilled in my whole photography experience.. Do you know what i mean.. I must sound a little dumb...
03-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey Madison

I know what your saying, I love a challenge and the DSLR gives that to me, sure my Fujis had manual controls but it's not quite the same..is it? I mostly thought getting a bridge cam with it's mega zoom would solve my main issue of weight on my shoulders but found out too late that the weight difference isn't that great and the sharpness level?...well, It's like night and day especially at the long end of the zoom. My only blessing has been that a lot of people still want bridge cams and I've been able to resell them for almost as I paid for them new

Barry
03-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really liked my previous camera, a Fuji S5100 (S5500 in Europe). I seriously considered upgrading to the S6000fd or S9100, but in the end AF speed and high ISO noise made me want a DSLR. Best price-performance, SR and best ergonomics (to me) made the K10D my choice.

Last edited by RBellavance; 03-24-2008 at 01:14 PM.
03-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My other camera is a fuji f30. Its an amazing little camera for a PS.

03-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey Geeky Biker

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
My other camera is a fuji f30. Its an amazing little camera for a PS.
They are good cams along with the f31fd, what I don't understand are the people who pay $400
for a used one, it's not that great IMHO

Barry
03-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi madisonphotogrl

Ditto....almost !

I had a Fuji S602Z, but:
QuoteQuote:
I knew my heart wasn't in it.
Then my head was turned by a younger sexier model ! I fell for the charms of a Panasonic FZ20 for a short while.....but it had a noisy sensor.

QuoteQuote:
It was nice to have just one lens that could go from wide to telephoto in seconds, but I hated the viewfinder
QuoteQuote:
I knew my heart wasn't in it.
So finally I fell for a brace of Pentax K10D's......and now I'm finally in love !!
As the immortal 'bard' (Wm Shakespeare) famously said once, "All's well that end's well".....

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-24-2008 at 11:17 AM.
03-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #11

A DSLR is hard on the ol' budget though.. want so many accessories.. I am SUCH a girl!!
03-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Not Just a "Girl" Thing Madison

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
A DSLR is hard on the ol' budget though.. want so many accessories.. I am SUCH a girl!!
That's why I want a 70-300 zoom so bad, that along with the standard 18-55mm lens are perhaps the only ones I'll really need to own.... I hope

Barry
03-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi madisonphotogrl

Re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
A DSLR is hard on the ol' budget though
But you haven't seen the extent of my wife's 'dress allowance'....I mean, there are 'high maintenance' women and then there is my 'other half' as she charmingly describes herself....Believe me, she's in an entirely different league altogether.....lol !
However, I can't complain too much as I've just added a second K10D body to my collection, because the price recently dropped by £100.00 / $200.00....don't ya' just lurve a bargin.....yee hawww !!

Best regards
Richard
03-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
They are good cams along with the f31fd, what I don't understand are the people who pay $400
for a used one, it's not that great IMHO

Barry
Crazy. I paid less than that new. I'd be sad If mine broke though. Nothing on the market now that is as good as it in low light.
03-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery
my first digital camera was a fuji s5500. was not too bad for the money (quite a bit less than my current flash). Very quickly however, i found a whole list of things that i didn't like. max of 400iso, and horrible noise. slow to turn on, slow focus and slow shutter response. etc, etc.

then one day i dropped in to a local camera shop and there happened to be a pentax rep. i had a quick play with one of his dslr's, and while i couldn't afford one on the spot, i decided that "sometime soon i will get a good camera'. i loved the viewfinder, the manual zoom and the solid feel.

anyway, sometime not as soon as i would like, i went shopping and ended up with my current K10D.
i hear people complain about the K10D's high iso performance, focussing etc, but for me i'm not so far removed from my old camera that i've forgotten the HUGE jump in performance and quality of images.

i'm new enough at this that i believe a vast majority of the photos that don't turn out are due to my inexperience, not the K10D's limitations.

my 'fujiholicism' was brief, but i feel beter now

Mark