Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D - HDR Auto Bracket

Hi,

When shooting in Auto Bracket - is there a setting that I am missing which would allow me to set the 2sec timer and for the camera to take all three (or 5) shots via that method? At the moment I only get the first shot on the timer.

I understand that a remote would solve this problem - but working it on the timer would be easier!

Thanks
William

03-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #2

The auto bracket only sets the exposures for you but you have to take the shots manually, have the cable switch and remote F and i prefer the cable switch, unless you are the one on the picture.
03-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If using the timer with auto-bracket (say for 3 shots at -/+1 EV) then as mentioned you need to make 3 separate presses of the shutter button - the camera recognises that you are in auto-bracketing mode so each "manual" press takes one of the bracketed exposures, -1EV, +1EV or 0EV - hope that makes sense !!

simon
03-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
If using the timer with auto-bracket (say for 3 shots at -/+1 EV) then as mentioned you need to make 3 separate presses of the shutter button - the camera recognises that you are in auto-bracketing mode so each "manual" press takes one of the bracketed exposures, -1EV, +1EV or 0EV - hope that makes sense !!

simon
Not quite true. You can hold the button down and the camera will take all the shots, even when in single exposure advance mode.

03-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willywalker Quote
Hi,

When shooting in Auto Bracket - is there a setting that I am missing which would allow me to set the 2sec timer and for the camera to take all three (or 5) shots via that method? At the moment I only get the first shot on the timer.

I understand that a remote would solve this problem - but working it on the timer would be easier!

Thanks
William
set it for 2 sec timer with mirror lockup, set for bracketing press the button for each shot, no you won't get all 3 or 5 on one press but you can press:

mirror will lockup shot will take after 2 secs

press again another shot will be taken btacketed after the lockup and 2 sec wait.

it will advoid camera shake but you will have to press for each shot and bracketing will occur
03-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Not quite true. You can hold the button down and the camera will take all the shots, even when in single exposure advance mode.
Yes, but surely if you're using the timer it's tripod mounted & doing this will induce camera shake, best idea is to make single presses - infact even better is to buy a cable/remote release

simon
03-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, but surely if you're using the timer it's tripod mounted & doing this will induce camera shake, best idea is to make single presses - infact even better is to buy a cable/remote release

simon
Well, yes. I have a Remote F and use that. However, it will depend on a great deal of things if I am trying to auto bracket with a view to HDR when through. If it is a day with beautiful fluffy clouds in the dark blue sky, I am not at all sure I want each image to be 3 seconds after the previous. I would not be thrilled with the blurry clouds.
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

use cable release and not the 2 sec delay if stutter speed is fast enough (if the mirror shake worries you) there won't be a problem

03-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well, yes. I have a Remote F and use that. However, it will depend on a great deal of things if I am trying to auto bracket with a view to HDR when through. If it is a day with beautiful fluffy clouds in the dark blue sky, I am not at all sure I want each image to be 3 seconds after the previous. I would not be thrilled with the blurry clouds.
I see your point, but you'll still have a 2sec delay between shots with the timer on evn holding down the button.
Sorry, probably sounding a bit pedantic now - I see completely what you mean, that on a bright, clear day shutter speed would be reasonably high anyway so you could turn-off the timer & just hold down the shutter.

simon
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I see your point, but you'll still have a 2sec delay between shots with the timer on evn holding down the button.
Sorry, probably sounding a bit pedantic now - I see completely what you mean, that on a bright, clear day shutter speed would be reasonably high anyway so you could turn-off the timer & just hold down the shutter.

simon
yup just try and stay at 1/focal length even on the under exposed if you paranoid and it should be ok
03-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Guys

Hi

Thanks for the input. I do use the "one press for three shots" method - I just thought it would be so much more convenient (and eliminate any kind of shake) if the three (or five) shots went off automatically.

I'm sure they would be able to sort that out with a future firmware update. It seems so natural to me that that feature should be available!

Thanks again for your input - the short answer to my question then is "no!".

Cheers
William
03-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

you could use a shutter release remote
03-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Another solution would be to get the K20D. It has the multiple shot feature you mentioned. I use it all the time when I shoot HDRs. It's quite handy.

Alex
03-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

hm so why the hec don't they release the same feature in a new firmware of the K10D its just a case of programming it into the camera
03-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
hm so why the hec don't they release the same feature in a new firmware of the K10D its just a case of programming it into the camera
Because they are in the business to make money. All businesses, including mine, are out there to make money, not spend it. I never expect bug fixes to cost money, and it is always nice when an upgrade has no cost (as in adding SDM - but then, that sells SDM lenses, doesn't it?), but the K20D is a very attractive camera. Given unlimited funds, I would add one to my camera collection, and keep the K10D as a top notch backup.