Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ISO 1600 Performance

I uploaded two photos (my gallery) so any newbies can see what the Pentax K10D performs like at a complicated lit scene at Iso 1600

The Singers on stage present a very complex scene - multiple lighting sources from Flourescent, Halogen, spot, White Suit, Black Skin.

The AWB did quite a good job as a test shot, I then tweaked it at 4000K and shot.

This was just a quick stand up and snap - as I was just a guest

At the wedding, I took a quick snap from the back of the hall - I had made no adjustments to WB - it was left at 4000K

These two pics were cropped (quite heavily) and tweaked for sharpening and noise in Nero Photosnap Essentials - at its automatic chosen settings.

For me coming from a film era - these are more than good enough and will definately yield a great 5x7 pic.

Considering all the general negative comments of the Pentax metering and crappy focusing in iffy light with not even a prime fast lens - those arguments should be put to rest

Sweet

D

03-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Of course you don't see much noise when they're resized.

100% crop for us, then, thank you.
03-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The pics are essentially a 50% crop - I was only using the kit lens from 50m away - so had to crop aggressively to get those pics and I just shot in jpeg.

If I say just cropped out a face this would be like a 200% crop from where I took the pic from.

The pics yielded very nice 5x7's - its all I care about and to show new or inexperienced users that they can get decent results at ISO 1600 at functions with difficult lighting

cheers

03-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Of course you don't see much noise when they're resized.

100% crop for us, then, thank you.
Do you often view your photos at 100% ?

I'm not saying the K10D's performance at ISO800 & above could not be better, but as the OP wrote it is often quite usable.

03-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The pics are essentially a 50% crop - I was only using the kit lens from 50m away - so had to crop aggressively to get those pics and I just shot in jpeg.

If I say just cropped out a face this would be like a 200% crop from where I took the pic from.

The pics yielded very nice 5x7's - its all I care about and to show new or inexperienced users that they can get decent results at ISO 1600 at functions with difficult lighting

cheers

Thank you for posting these.

You mention the kit lens - is that the 18-55 lens? I just went to Ritz during lunch and they have the K10D with that lens for $799...
03-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Do you often view your photos at 100% ?

I'm not saying the K10D's performance at ISO800 & above could not be better, but as the OP wrote it is often quite usable.

All my pictures go through a tedious pixel-peeping process.

It is indeed usable. Question is.. is the K100D's high-ISO performance any better?
03-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by willis Quote
Thank you for posting these.

You mention the kit lens - is that the 18-55 lens? I just went to Ritz during lunch and they have the K10D with that lens for $799...
That's about what I paid at Ritz last October ..
03-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

those are good images for ISO1600 so how much are they reduced ? can we see a darkish section at 100 % ? that is what needs to stand up to test

03-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
not to sound nasty - what you ask is called measurebating

The pics are 1024 x 768 and fill a 17' monitor - for me thats good enuff

As a happy K10D owner would YOU be happy with the results or not? I am and thats all I care about

If not its time to flog your camera and get something else

Yes I only have the 18-55 kit lens that came with the camera as it is only 1 month old

d
03-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
those are good images for ISO1600 so how much are they reduced ? can we see a darkish section at 100 % ? that is what needs to stand up to test
There's an image on my Flickr site taken at 1600 ISO with the 16-50. No post processing other than conversion and resize. EXIF info is on the "orginal" size if you want to look at it.
03-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

not to sound nasty - what you ask is called measurebating

The pics are 1024 x 768 and fill a 17' monitor - for me thats good enuff

As a happy K10D owner would YOU be happy with the results or not? I am and thats all I care about

If not its time to flog your camera and get something else

Yes I only have the 18-55 kit lens that came with the camera as it is only 1 month old

d
ok ok I'll go take a picture of my own at ISO 1600 just to satisfy my curiosity I probably won't be able to reproduce your lighting situation
03-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
ok ok I'll go take a picture of my own at ISO 1600 just to satisfy my curiosity I probably won't be able to reproduce your lighting situation
My lighting situation was a bit difficult. Do not attempt to use a pushed exposure. Keep the exposure to the right side of the histogram. I have taken to set my K10D to blink at all times, and expose to get one blinky in a specular highlight. Works for me.
03-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My lighting situation was a bit difficult. Do not attempt to use a pushed exposure. Keep the exposure to the right side of the histogram. I have taken to set my K10D to blink at all times, and expose to get one blinky in a specular highlight. Works for me.
Albert's advise actually is a very good one.

Having a little over exposure will give you some highlight clipping, however you will have much less shadow noise what in general is most noticable at ISO 1600.
Don't over do it. If you overexpose 1 stop you might as well have taken the shot with ISO 800 with the same aperture and shutter speed!
In Sv mode you can also use ISO 1200 as an alternative. Over exposing 1/2 a stop in other modes will give you the same result, only this will avoid the high light clipping.

Have fun, nice shots that were!

- Bert
03-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I uploaded two photos (my gallery) so any newbies can see what the Pentax K10D performs like at a complicated lit scene at Iso 1600

The Singers on stage present a very complex scene - multiple lighting sources from Flourescent, Halogen, spot, White Suit, Black Skin.

The AWB did quite a good job as a test shot, I then tweaked it at 4000K and shot.

This was just a quick stand up and snap - as I was just a guest

At the wedding, I took a quick snap from the back of the hall - I had made no adjustments to WB - it was left at 4000K

These two pics were cropped (quite heavily) and tweaked for sharpening and noise in Nero Photosnap Essentials - at its automatic chosen settings.

For me coming from a film era - these are more than good enough and will definately yield a great 5x7 pic.

Considering all the general negative comments of the Pentax metering and crappy focusing in iffy light with not even a prime fast lens - those arguments should be put to rest

Sweet

D
No, unfortunately the issue will never be put to rest, You like me, came from film, I used to go out at night with 400ISO tri-x pushed to 3200, or later with ektachrome 400 pushed to 1600. The K10 puts these to shame, BUT, unfortunately for each of us that came from film and recognize a great improvement, there are an equal number who came from film, never shot over 200 ISO, who think the camera should be capable of the same quality at 1600 ISO and beyond, and about 3 times as many people who never shot film at all and also don't understand the reality form as little as 5 years ago.

youcan see from my guess of people, we are outnumbered 4-1. This would be a great post, and survey. How many of us

a) shot film at less than 200ISO only
a1) shot film at or above 400ISO
a2) shot film at or above 800 ISO
a3) shot film at or above 1600ISO
a4) shot film at 3200ISO
b) never shot film.
03-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

youcan see from my guess of people, we are outnumbered 4-1. This would be a great post, and survey. How many of us

a) shot film at less than 200ISO only
a1) shot film at or above 400ISO
a2) shot film at or above 800 ISO
a3) shot film at or above 1600ISO
a4) shot film at 3200ISO
b) never shot film.

i've always wondered that..would really make a good poll..

if no one, i'll start it tomorrow after work

and for the record......i fall under a3....