Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

Pentax *ist DL owner looking to upgrade

I have had my pentax *ist DL since 2007. I'm looking to upgrade either to a K7 or a K5....majority of the work i do is low light (nightclubs, music events, nightlife, etc). Whichever one i get next i plan to have for a long time! And it would be a camera i would like to bring out to Burning Man (super dusty environment, and temperature fluctuations {hot days, super cold nights})

Both cameras have features i love and are considerably better than the *ist DL. I still feel slight ashamed when the person next to me has a smartphone with a higher megapixel rate than my dslr! Haha i know megapixels is not everything of course, but still

I will probably be buying from this forum, and it seems like most are selling k5's....the k5 is newer than the k7, so i feel it would have the advantage of a possibly longer lifespan, but the k7 is cheaper.....decisions decisions......what would you guys recommend?

08-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ne0n730 Quote
I have had my pentax *ist DL since 2007. I'm looking to upgrade either to a K7 or a K5....majority of the work i do is low light (nightclubs, music events, nightlife, etc). Whichever one i get next i plan to have for a long time! And it would be a camera i would like to bring out to Burning Man (super dusty environment, and temperature fluctuations {hot days, super cold nights})

Both cameras have features i love and are considerably better than the *ist DL. I still feel slight ashamed when the person next to me has a smartphone with a higher megapixel rate than my dslr! Haha i know megapixels is not everything of course, but still

I will probably be buying from this forum, and it seems like most are selling k5's....the k5 is newer than the k7, so i feel it would have the advantage of a possibly longer lifespan, but the k7 is cheaper.....decisions decisions......what would you guys recommend?
The K-5's sensor is worth getting over that of the K-7, which is a lot more noisy. Definitely opt for the K-5!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-5's sensor is worth getting over that of the K-7, which is a lot more noisy. Definitely opt for the K-5!
+1 its excellent value, reliable and due to newer cameras can be had relatively cheap.
08-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I went from a K100D (same sensor as the *istDL) to a K-5, I definitely recommend it, it was a night and day difference.

08-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ne0n730;2492073.............:
Whichever one i get next i plan to have for a long time!
I went from *ist DL (well, I actually still have it) to K200D (couldn't bear to depart with that either) to K-5. I can definitely recommend the K-5 as your next choice. What I really like is the wealth of features in such a compact, portable and easily operated, weather sealed package, (no big FF for me, thank you). I would imagine that for you, coming from the small and light *ist DL, the size will suit you fine too, while you will certainly feel a difference in solidity and - to begin with - somewhat in weight.

The only thing that I miss with the K-5 is the option to use easy-to-get-everywhere AA cells. Of course, one can have the optional battery-grip, but for me that would detract from the compactness/portability that I like so much.
08-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I too moved from a K100 (same sensor and very similar to the *ist) to the K20. The K20 has the same sensor as the K7 (shares the body with the K5). The difference between the K7 and K5 sensors is very noticeable, and would recommend to just bypass the K7 for that reason. You really cant get a better sensor than the K5 for low light. The main decision I would have would be between the K5 and the K5II. This is due to the better low light autofocusing of the K5II.

The K5 family - includes / contains the K5, K-01, K30, K50, K5II and the K5IIs, since they all use essentially the same sensor. With the dust issue, I would eliminate the K-01 since it is not sealed. Price wise, the K5 and K30 would be the lowest, since they both have been discontinued and new stock is still somewhat available - being cleared out with lower prices. Performance wise - the K5II would be the best technical selection due to its ability to focus essentially in the dark. I doubt that you would need the K5IIs with its lack of an Anti Ailaising filter - and since folks have been buying it over the K5II, its price still reflects a premium over the K5II.

If the budget can afford the K5II, I would go with it. It's price has substantially dropped over the last year. Its going for around $760. The K5 is still available at around $600 (body only). The K30 can be had for as little as $500 (but you need to trust sellers no one has heard of), up to about $700 (from sellers you have heard of).

There is also the ability to pick up the Pentax extended warranty for $20 that would make the basic 1 year warranty a 3 year one, however you would need to buy new from an authorized retailer.

Used K5 on the Marketplace seem to going between $400 and $550. I have not been following the used K30 prices here.

08-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The K30 can be had for as little as $500 (but you need to trust sellers no one has heard of), up to about $700 (from sellers you have heard of).
The K-30 with a WR lens can be purchased new at a reputable US camera shop for $500 here. It comes with a full warranty, unlike the used K-5's on the MarketPlace at the same price sans lens and warranty. And, the K-30 comes with additional features that neither the K-5/K-5II/K-5IIS has.
09-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for all the responses guys definitely helping me out!