Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #1

K10 issues in Bright Sun

I stumbled across this thread on the P&S forum (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-p-s-camera-discussion/23087-can-t-...eflection.html) , but wanted to bring the subject to DSLR users ..

I'd like to get everyone's feedback on how they deal with the bright sun when using the LCD Monitor/Panel/ViewFinder ... Although my k10 is a DSLR and I compose through the VF, I am still learning about Exposure, and need my LCD monitor to check my images. In the bright sun (which occurs in AZ 360 days/year!) I have a hard time seeing my images in the LCD Montitor, so I have thought about getting the pop-up shade.

1st Question: has anyone actually used a pop-up shade on the k10, and if so - has it helped?

Another issue I am having is that I like to look through the VF to adjust exposure (using the EV Bar) ... in the bright sun, I have a difficult time seeing the EV bar through the view finder ..

2nd Question: has anyone had the same issue w/ reading the data in the VF in bright sun, and if so - what has helped?

03-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

i do this neat trick where i cup my hand... and i put it over the LCD...

mhmmm

03-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ldelude Quote
I stumbled across this thread on the P&S forum (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-p-s-camera-discussion/23087-can-t-...eflection.html) , but wanted to bring the subject to DSLR users ..

I'd like to get everyone's feedback on how they deal with the bright sun when using the LCD Monitor/Panel/ViewFinder ... Although my k10 is a DSLR and I compose through the VF, I am still learning about Exposure, and need my LCD monitor to check my images. In the bright sun (which occurs in AZ 360 days/year!) I have a hard time seeing my images in the LCD Montitor, so I have thought about getting the pop-up shade.

1st Question: has anyone actually used a pop-up shade on the k10, and if so - has it helped?
Yes, I have the Delkin eFilm on my K10D. It helps in bright light. It also keeps my sweaty cheek off the LCD. The fold down cover comes off quickly with a short slide to the left, so I can have the camera with the LCD viewable at all times when lighting permits. It slides back on and clicks into place.
QuoteQuote:
Another issue I am having is that I like to look through the VF to adjust exposure (using the EV Bar) ... in the bright sun, I have a difficult time seeing the EV bar through the view finder ..

2nd Question: has anyone had the same issue w/ reading the data in the VF in bright sun, and if so - what has helped?
Yes, I have this problem all the time. I have not found anything that helps to see the dim green output in the viewfinder yet. I use the top LCD, but I have to be careful to ensure no stray light is entering the eyepiece.
03-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have not found anything that helps to see the dim green output in the viewfinder yet. I use the top LCD, but I have to be careful to ensure no stray light is entering the eyepiece.
What about another eyecup? Anyone have experience there?

03-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

hmmm....
when shooting in bright sun, i just dont really look at the playback very much...every once in a while i stop to make an effort to make sure im not screwing up everything. i'll use a hat, sometimes ill tuck the camera under my shirt and look down through the neck...

the thing is, i tend to follow my meter in the sun. you can't see yours? hmm...never had that problem...
03-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes thats the other issue do I remember correctly that the manual basically says either keep your eye to the view finder or cover it or use AE-L. I suppose we normally have our eye to it and for stuff like panos lock the exsposure anyhow