Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Page 169 of your K10D owners manual

lady's and gentlemen ahem (caugh) please would you turn to page 166 (not 169 made a mistake appoligies to all) of your K10D's owners manual and explain to me this particular function, is it just to take "x" number of images in sucsession ? but I can do that by just holding down the shutter button ? are there particular circumstances where its handy ?

Last edited by simons-photography; 03-24-2008 at 02:34 PM.
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
lady's and gentlemen ahem (caugh) please would you turn to page 169 of your K10D's owners manual and explain to me this particular function, is it just to take "x" number of images in sucsession ? but I can do that by just holding down the shutter button ? are there particular circumstances where its handy ?
You can examine the image on the LCD without actually taking it. Personally, I can see no situation when I would use this function ever. When I have to use that function, I will take the image, and then open it on the LCD. Besides, I much prefer to be able to estimate my depth of field in the viewfinder.
03-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
erm pardon me I meant page 166 sorry
03-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
shootibg in multi exposure - is it like staking or something ?

03-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aha! Minor difference The advantage is that the camera automatically adjusts the exposure so that the total is what a single exposure should have been. If you take 8 images in lighting conditions that would require 1/8 second, each shot will be at 1/64, bringing the total to 1/8. Clear as mud?
03-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You can take multiple images that are summed into one image by the camera with the correct final exposure. Great for improving the noise figure for high ISO shots of a static scene. (You need a tripod and remote release to keep everything registered)

Others have used it to get creative water fall and/or stream shots when a neutral density filter is not available.

Nice thing about digital, you can experiment as much as you want ... the 'film' is dead cheap.
03-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Actually it is a GREAT feature.
As it was first explained in the DPR discussion forum on Pentax DSLR, you can take a multiple exposure shot of a dynamic environment and create great pictures.
Several people have demonstrated flowing water examples, where the surface becomes smooth.

Check this out: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/13261-barts-te...st-loving.html

- Bert
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Aha! Minor difference The advantage is that the camera automatically adjusts the exposure so that the total is what a single exposure should have been. If you take 8 images in lighting conditions that would require 1/8 second, each shot will be at 1/64, bringing the total to 1/8. Clear as mud?
so basically it stacks the images is it any better than stacking the pictures in photoshop ? the camera is taking the at lower exsposure and adding them up but I think (could be wrong) photoshop can average out the images taken at the right exsposure helping get a better result ? I suppose its a quiker solution than photoshop

03-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Is it better? Well, sure it's better. You can do it right in camera with no need for any other software. It's just like rewinding the film and re-exposing the negative. It's better than NOT being able to do it. Double or multiple exposures when done correctly are really good. I use the feature a TON for landscape work shooting with a tripod. It's like in-camera HDR. Or, having a built-in ND filter of whatever density you need. Use it to shoot moving water and you get instant ethereal cotton candy like water effects.
03-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Saw a car magazine photo that had 4 frames of a car with the hood down, 1 frame with it up/removed. Looked like a see through hood - no photoshop needed.
03-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
Forum Member

It's excellent for emulating long exposures, it's also excellent for bringing out detail in areas where the DR is too high for the chip.

A few notes about my experiments with it:

1) it can't fix a section blown in every shot - have at least 1 shot with _no_ blown highlights
2) it can sometimes create 'sharpening artifacts' which are very difficult to fix in PP - this usually only affects large prints (large, for me, being 11x17).

I also like to use it with intermittent breezes to get a 'water flow' feel, w/o the 'moving branch' feel =)

In this shot, I used 6 exposures in the k10d, with auto EV adjust, timing each exposure between the slight breeze affecting the grass/leaves:

There are very few ripples in the water, in actuality, the cool thing about this is they get added up like in a normal multi-exposure, and not blurred out like in a long exposure.

!c
03-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so how is it hwelping in DR ? I mean if the end result is blown its blown unless it compensates an in effect creates a HDR
03-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
Forum Member

so how is it hwelping in DR ? I mean if the end result is blown its blown unless it compensates an in effect creates a HDR

No, it assists in DR by averaging the exposures (assuming you have auto ev adjust on), but does not allow the _resulting combination_ to clip.

While I'm not an expert on the underlying software's happenings, here's what I've experienced:

values that differ get added (until they get close to clipping, or if in one frame they are already clipped)
values that are the same get left alone

So, shooting with the same exposure amount for each shot produces repetitions like a normal multi-exposure, but not as much "bringing up of the shadows". However, a varying exposure rate causes the shadows to have a slightly different amount of data - these get added up. Your highlights, if you had a proper exposure for one of the frames, will barely be touched as they're already near clipping.

It's not HDR, because the result is still 12 bits.

!c
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterdrone Quote
No, it assists in DR by averaging the exposures (assuming you have auto ev adjust on), but does not allow the _resulting combination_ to clip.

While I'm not an expert on the underlying software's happenings, here's what I've experienced:

values that differ get added (until they get close to clipping, or if in one frame they are already clipped)
values that are the same get left alone

So, shooting with the same exposure amount for each shot produces repetitions like a normal multi-exposure, but not as much "bringing up of the shadows". However, a varying exposure rate causes the shadows to have a slightly different amount of data - these get added up. Your highlights, if you had a proper exposure for one of the frames, will barely be touched as they're already near clipping.

It's not HDR, because the result is still 12 bits.

!c
right but its compressing the info if it keeps highlights unclipped but will brighten shadoes its altering the data in HDR style although the result will not be quite HDR, so it could help in high contrast pictures ?

I'll have to take some shots and study histograms