Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote

Is the $20.00 extension of the Pentax warranty to 3 years worth it?

The shop (Hunt's) that sold me the camera also sells a super warranty which covers complete repair or replacement from any damage short of fire or that level of destruction. It is 80 odd dollars, I've 30 days in which I can purchase it. Do these make any sense.

I bought the camera and passed on the Hunt's warranty. I did pick up the Pentax 2 additional years from Adorama. So I guess I think the peace of mind is worth $10 bucks a year.

I suggest shooting with the 18-55 until you find out which prime might do the most for you style of photo.

08-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
for when I have a backpack on, I like the fanny pack models that have a should strap as backup. a good all weather one is the Lowepro Inverse
Amazon.com: Lowepro Inverse 200 AW Camera Beltpack (Black): Camera & Photo

They are nicely designed and will hold a few lenses and assorted gear.

Good to hear that you have most of the gear already - that will help you expense wise!
08-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Step 1: Just ordered the 50 mm 1.8 prime from Adorama. I debated between the 35 and the 50 and finally decided I'd find more use for the 50. Right or wrong it is done now.
09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Same here...

Yes the kit lens is WR. I will of course avoid inclement weather as much as possible, but I will be taking it hiking with me so some will be unavoidable.
I hike a lot too. I practically live on the AZ/Utah border in the spring.....I Bought the K30 kit too and don't regret it one bit.......its perfect for my lifestyle. I bought the K5IIs 2 weeks before and although a really great camera , mine locked up and is getting warranty repair. Grabbed a K30 from Hunts for $499 and am very happy! Although I will end up with two great bodies....The K30 will get the most use by far. Keeping the K5IIs for a backup when its done.....I don't trust it at all.
The most memorable Hike I ever had was to Coyote Buttes (The Wave) in northern Az. on 10-10-10. Hiked in the dark , and was there at sunrise....Blew my mind ! I only had a High end point and shoot at the time , so got to go back and get some better pics. Place was amazing ! Also went to White Pocket just down the road , and it was amazing also.
If your into primes and by any chance shoot in manual ? Look into a Ricoh XR 28mm. Its a very very good lens for about $30 -$50 , has high reviews , and is small and sharp...... Cheers !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 09-04-2013 at 07:33 PM.
09-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I hike a lot too. I practically live on the AZ/Utah border in the spring.....I Bought the K30 kit too and don't regret it one bit.......its perfect for my lifestyle. I bought the K5IIs 2 weeks before and although a really great camera , mine locked up and is getting warranty repair. Grabbed a K30 from Hunts for $499 and am very happy! Although I will end up with two great bodies....The K30 will get the most use by far. Keeping the K5IIs for a backup when its done.....I don't trust it at all.
I never go hiking without a backpack on. Assuming you also wear a backpack when hiking how do you carry the K-30? I neither want the extra weight in the backpack nor do I want to have to take off the backpack when I want the camera. I bought a Mountainsmith Descent Chest Pack from REI (Mountainsmith Descent AT Camera Chest Pack - Free Shipping at REI.com), but I don't think it will work out and I'll be returning it. I like the concept of the Lowepro Toploader Chest Pack, but they don't seem to hold anything but the camera w/ lens attached. If I find a bag that will do I can probably rig up or have made straps to attach it to the shoulder straps of the backpack.
Steve.
09-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I just used a off brand Wally World $18 bag that barely holds the camera with the kit lens on it. I carry the other 1-2 lenses in a tiny padded bag with very few accessories. I toss it all in my daypack. All the weight really adds up. About the most two valuable tools are a set of Cokin ND filters , Polarizer , and a spare battery and Lens pen.......that with water and snacks.....good all day !
There is NO perfect way to carry. I used to have the latest Lowe Pro bags years gone by (film) , and never found anything really suitable. Everything was either very heavy , or somehow didn't fit into a backpacking lifestyle. Smaller bags and pockets worked better for me. It is a pain to have to stop and dig stuff out , but I learned to manage and tuck stuff away. The one small thing that worked well for me was a shoulder strap and snug elastic band to keep it close to my chest while hiking. I don't remember the name , but it was handy opposed to carrying the camera with a neckstrap when in use.
Lets face it....carrying a camera and a few photo needs is a pain when backpacking....no way around it !
Less...IS better !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 09-04-2013 at 07:55 PM.
09-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My PRO friend carries....

I just used a off brand Wally World $18 bag that barely holds the camera with the kit lens on it. I carry the other 1-2 lenses in a tiny padded bag with very few accessories. I toss it all in my daypack. All the weight really adds up. About the most two valuable tools are a set of Cokin ND filters , Polarizer , and a spare battery and Lens pen.......that with water and snacks.....good all day !
There is NO perfect way to carry. I used to have the latest Lowe Pro bags years gone by (film) , and never found anything really suitable. Everything was either very heavy , or somehow didn't fit into a backpacking lifestyle. Smaller bags and pockets worked better for me. It is a pain to have to stop and dig stuff out , but I learned to manage and tuck stuff away. The one small thing that worked well for me was a shoulder strap and snug elastic band to keep it close to my chest while hiking. I don't remember the name , but it was handy opposed to carrying the camera with a neckstrap when in use.
Lets face it....carrying a camera and a few photo needs is a pain when backpacking....no way around it !
Less...IS better !
When I hiked into the Wave on 10-10-10 my newly met friend (semi Pro Jason Pavalonis) carried a Lowe Pro bag so heavy it about did him in. It was only about 7.5 miles total , but his setup was super heavy . Its just much easier to select what equipment you think will meet your shooting needs , and pack light and compact in small stash-able containers throughout your pack in easy access locations. He carried all his gear , yet only ended up using a lens pen , a couple filters , and 1 lens besides the one on the body.
I would also invest in an aluminum travel tripod from China. They are super compact , cheap , and actually quite good. The one I have is a Beike 475 , and has a leg that comes off for a mono-pod. Paid $89 bucks and didn't expect much.....wow...was I surprised. Quality was fantastic.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 09-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.
09-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I never go hiking without a backpack on. Assuming you also wear a backpack when hiking how do you carry the K-30? I neither want the extra weight in the backpack nor do I want to have to take off the backpack when I want the camera. I bought a Mountainsmith Descent Chest Pack from REI (Mountainsmith Descent AT Camera Chest Pack - Free Shipping at REI.com), but I don't think it will work out and I'll be returning it. I like the concept of the Lowepro Toploader Chest Pack, but they don't seem to hold anything but the camera w/ lens attached. If I find a bag that will do I can probably rig up or have made straps to attach it to the shoulder straps of the backpack.
Steve.
If you like a backpack anyway, the Capture clip is pretty nice. I was given one as a (not-so-subtly suggested ) gift, and I love it!

https://peakdesignltd.com/
09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I saw them and also a similar variation . That does peak my interest to a degree. Hiking is always prone to slips , falls , and mishaps, I would worry if strapped to a waist belt or shoulder strap and I was to take a nasty fall that I wouldn't be able to protect it with my hands or arms to a degree. I like the concept though. At the very least I would fit some kind of lightweight cover for sand , dust , and rain. I do like the ring in the plate....that is handy !
09-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw them and also a similar variation . That does peak my interest to a degree. Hiking is always prone to slips , falls , and mishaps, I would worry if strapped to a waist belt or shoulder strap and I was to take a nasty fall that I wouldn't be able to protect it with my hands or arms to a degree. I like the concept though. At the very least I would fit some kind of lightweight cover for sand , dust , and rain. I do like the ring in the plate....that is handy !
I read this a while back and it has some good ideas 5 Ways to Carry a DSLR Camera on Outdoor Adventures | Evoq: The PureOutside Blog. I particularly like the Cotton Carrier, Cotton Carrier Camera Systems ? Camera Vest Carry-Lite StrapShot Steady Shot. However, like you, I do worry about spills and falls and that is why I'm trying to find a padded chest pack, not only to protect the camera, but to protect me from the camera.
09-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
If you like a backpack anyway, the Capture clip is pretty nice. I was given one as a (not-so-subtly suggested ) gift, and I love it!

https://peakdesignltd.com/
I'll check that out as well. Thanks.