Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New K-30 Recommendations

I would have put this in the K-30 specific forum, but it seemed my questions were more general.
Some may have noticed my earlier thread where I asked for advice about what DSLR to buy. While I really, really wanted the K-5 II, I bought the K-30 with the 18-55 mm lens kit for 499.99 (plus 6.5% tax). The main reason I got this was so I could use the price differential to invest in 1 or more additional lenses.
I'm open to lens recommendations. I'll probably use this camera for outdoor and nature shooting. In the best of all possible worlds I'd have a weather resistant long zoom with macro capabilities which takes awesome pictures. Unfortunately we don't live in the best of all possible worlds, but bear that ideal lens in mind when making recommendations.

Also I have an extra class 4 sd card which was fine for my p&s camera (Nikon AW100). I believe that class 4 should be fine for this camera as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be doing very little, if any, video.

Is the $20.00 extension of the Pentax warranty to 3 years worth it?

The shop (Hunt's) that sold me the camera also sells a super warranty which covers complete repair or replacement from any damage short of fire or that level of destruction. It is 80 odd dollars, I've 30 days in which I can purchase it. Do these make any sense.

Any other suggestions for a new DSLR owner. BTW, I own an SLR but haven't used it in ages.

08-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
Also I have an extra class 4 sd card which was fine for my p&s camera (Nikon AW100). I believe that class 4 should be fine for this camera as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be doing very little, if any, video.
You'll probably be able to notice the slower write speed compared to a class 10 card. I'd recommend using cards that have write speeds of at least 10Mb/s.

Is the $20.00 extension of the Pentax warranty to 3 years worth it?
Yes, it's a steal to say the least definitely get it. As for the other warranty, it depends on whether or not you plan on dropping your camera or otherwise abusing it

If you want a good all-in-one lens, I'd recommend look at the 18-135mm. I also suggest you add a prime to your lineup, such as the DA 50mm or DA 35mm. Both of the prices are currently 25% off:
Pentax Lens Deals - August, 2013 - Pentax Deals - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Outdoors shooting I think look for the 55-300 of either flavor. It's the most affordable longer zoom from Pentax. The DA L version is less expensive, but you'll need to buy a hood separately. There are some other Tamron and Sigma longer zoom offerings but I'd avoid the 70-300, the image problems are too great.

Did you get a WR version of the kit lens? If you plan to be in inlemant weather a lot, WR is something to consider.
08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Outdoors shooting I think look for the 55-300 of either flavor. It's the most affordable longer zoom from Pentax. The DA L version is less expensive, but you'll need to buy a hood separately. There are some other Tamron and Sigma longer zoom offerings but I'd avoid the 70-300, the image problems are too great.

Did you get a WR version of the kit lens? If you plan to be in inlemant weather a lot, WR is something to consider.
Yes the kit lens is WR. I will of course avoid inclement weather as much as possible, but I will be taking it hiking with me so some will be unavoidable.

08-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd get the longer zoom first. Then you'll have something you can chase the warblers with and drive yourself insane.
Use the kit zoom for closer work and figure out whether you need to upgrade it or get a prime somewhere in that range. The less expensive 35mm is supposed to be very nice.

When my 55-300 was in for repair I really missed it.

Remember the used market here in the Marketplace. Set up some watchwords and get an idea what different lenses cost then set your budget.

I have the 18-135 and have no reservations about taking it when there's a chance of rain. It's also been a good lens in the winter. But since you have the WR kit lens, I would skip the 18-135 for now.
08-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd get the longer zoom first... I would skip the 18-135 for now.
What about this sucker? It comes up shorter on focal length, but it is WR.

SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

BTW, there is a 50-300 in the shopping forum.
08-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

What about this sucker? It comes up shorter on focal length, but it is WR.

SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

BTW, there is a 50-300 in the shopping forum.
DA 50-200 doesn't have as good a reputation among many Pentaxians. Reports of it being softer at the long end compared to the DA 55-300.
08-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The WR is great, but the IQ of the 50-200 is lower than the 50-300 or the 18-135 WR, as is reflected in the price

I think the $20 extended warranty is a great deal, and if you CC gives you an extended year it is a total of 4 years, and you get you camera cleaned and tuned up from Pentax once for free.

You need a bigger-faster memory card, because shooting is RAW takes much bigger files, but the end results will be much better. Download "Camera Raw" from adobe if you don't have lightroom

You may go scout your local camera shops, pawn shops and thrift stores, craigslist -There is some great glass out there waiting to be found. I scored a K50/1.4 which is amazing, a beat up Tak 105/2.8. You gotta be careful I also bought a JC penny 200/2.8 but the aperture is seized(my bad for not checking) I only paid $10 bucks though.

08-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I have both the 50-200 wr and the 55-300. While I generally like the 55-300 a bit more, I have zero reservations about using the 50-200 where WR is needed. We went camping a few weeks back and there was some weather in the forecast so I decided the WR was the safer choice - used it at the river at the long end and the shots turned out great. I did stop it down to around f7, but that's what I would have done w/ the 55-300 too. I do like the smaller size and lower weight of the 50-200 too. I used to not be a big fan of this lens, but it really doesn't deserve the bad rep it gets....

I've compiled a set of pics on flickr where I've used one version of the 50-200 (both wr and not - optically both are the same)

my Flickr 50-200 set

So what kind of budget do you have?
If you have few hundred more left, I'd say get the da35 2.4 or the da50 1.8 or both. If you have a bit more left over, instead of the da50 1.8, see if you can get a good fa50 1.4 - the used prices on these seem like a really good deal right now (around $250). Another good used lens to keep an eye out for is the FA35 f2 - if you can get that for around $325, that's a good price.

Now this does not give you a macro, so if you like close ups of flowers and bugs (like really close, not zoomed in close like in the 50-200 set), you're going to be looking at around $350 used for a tamron 90 or sigma 105 or sigma 70 (all awesome AF macro lenses). You can also look for older lenses for under $150 that are macro lenses - I remember people saying that the vivitar 105 macro is good - maybe some others can make some suggestions.

Last edited by vagrant10; 08-30-2013 at 03:35 PM.
08-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter

18-135 WR

And then go nuts with vintage manual glass Primes!!!
08-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I forgot to mention a couple other things to consider buying:
software - lightroom 4 can be had for cheap now that lightroom 5 is out
tripod - great for nature shots or night shots
camera bag - some have better weather resistance than others
extra battery and/or AA battery adapter - this is non negotiable!!!
lens pen - these are very handy and cheap
get a good SD card - sandisk seems to have the best reputation especially the ultra or extreme series - a 16 gb should be pretty affordable now
maybe consider a circular polarizer and or a graduated neutral density filter (if you like doing landscape stuff at sunrise or sunset)

Sorry to spend all your $$$
08-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I forgot to mention a couple other things to consider buying:
software - lightroom 4 can be had for cheap now that lightroom 5 is out
I've got adobe elements, I think that will be sufficient, but if LR is cheap enough, maybe.
<edit> Just looked around some. It isn't discounted particularly heavily, I'll have to make do with elements.
QuoteQuote:
tripod - great for nature shots or night shots
Got one, it is 30+ years old, but aluminum and not too heavy.
QuoteQuote:
camera bag - some have better weather resistance than others
Thinking of getting a Lowepro Toploader, or this Cotton Carrier Camera Systems ? Camera Vest Carry-Lite StrapShot Steady Shot
QuoteQuote:

extra battery and/or AA battery adapter - this is non negotiable!!!
Ordered the AA adapter.
QuoteQuote:
lens pen - these are very handy and cheap
What is this?
QuoteQuote:
get a good SD card - sandisk seems to have the best reputation especially the ultra or extreme series - a 16 gb should be pretty affordable now
ordered
QuoteQuote:
maybe consider a circular polarizer and or a graduated neutral density filter (if you like doing landscape stuff at sunrise or sunset)

Sorry to spend all your $$$
I looked at these in Adorama. They ranged from $75 for a Nikon to $18 for a Tiffen with several in between. Any more specific recommendation, I assume the cheapest will be "bad" glass.

Last edited by Catscradle; 08-30-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Add some text
08-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter

More Stuff?

Hello Catscradle, welcome to the Forum!
Lots of good advice so far, hope you're not too overloaded!
My favorite CPL's are Marumi, they're one of the best. Figure about a dollar per millimeter, if you do a Google search you'll find a dealer in the US. Another top brand is B + W, they're slightly more expensive, but both are worth it, a one-time investment.
A lens pen is a device that has a brush on one end and a small sponge-like pad on the other. It's the perfect tool for cleaning watermarks, fingerprints and anything else from your lenses, without the risk of scratching it. A microfiber cloth is good, but the lens pen is better.
Another 'gotta have' is a Giottos Rocket Blower. Since you'll soon have more than one lens, whenever you change lenses, there's a good chance dust will get inside the body, inevitably coming to rest on the mirror or (Horrors!) the sensor. Soon you'll find 'spots' on your photos, always appearing in the same location of each frame. There's a dust removal function on the set up menu, for vibrating the camera slightly at startup, this will loosen the dust, but it doesn't go away. The Rocket Blower is the next step. Another Google search, 'Sensor Cleaning DSLR'. It's all explained there.
Last, since you have a tripod, a cable or electronic shutter release is handy.
Lens hoods for every lens, if they don't come provided.
Most of this stuff is $5-$10 from China, somewhat more from the camera store.
Good Luck!
Ron
08-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

You can often find bundles of tools at Amazon - cleaning kits with some nice cloth, lens pen, blower etc. The lens pen is good. I have one in each bag - they come in handy.

A good bag should be on your list - it should have some weatherproofing option, whether a cover like the Tamrac bags usually have or secure sealed zippers. Space for the essentials, plus a bit more. You'll get the idea.

So, is it mostly wildlife and scenery you're after?
08-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You can often find bundles of tools at Amazon - cleaning kits with some nice cloth, lens pen, blower etc. The lens pen is good. I have one in each bag - they come in handy.

A good bag should be on your list - it should have some weatherproofing option, whether a cover like the Tamrac bags usually have or secure sealed zippers. Space for the essentials, plus a bit more. You'll get the idea.

So, is it mostly wildlife and scenery you're after?
I guess you could say that. I'm kind of old for it, but I'm attempting to climb the 48 - 4000 foot peaks in NH (I've done 12). I'll definitely be getting scenery. Wildlife is tougher, as the people I'm usually hike with talk a lot. The hiking is the main reason I was draw to the toploader, I'll already have a backpack on my back and stuff hanging on your sides is always getting caught on stuff. Trouble is the toploaders look like they only have space for the camera and maybe a few odds and ends. If there is something like a top loader that could be converted between being a shoulder hanger and a front back that could attach to my backpack straps somehow that would be perfect. The right camera back might prove to be my hardest find.
I live in Massachusetts and also hope to get down to the ocean and down the cape (in the winter when the vacationers are gone). Maybe some of the old structures and grave yards around here too. Though the old structures seem to pretty quickly be turning into new structures.
I'm not thinking of doing a lot of portraits (my wife hates having her picture taken), but I've 2 grand-daughters under a year old and I'd like to be able to get some nice pictures of them.