Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well thats a far moore practical idea than turning it into a fish tank or desk lamp, Otis.

This thread could turn into something like a thousand and one uses for a dead cat.

03-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Original Poster

K20 Super Takumar 28 F3.5 @ 5.6
03-15-2014, 06:15 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Does the K20D have the digital filters in B&W mode (yellow, red, etc)? I just ordered one from KEH, my first digital SLR in several years (been shooting film exclusively, but digital is necessary these days).
03-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes and also you can set the strength of the color filter. I use the orange filter to darken light blue skies.

03-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #80

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
The beast herself wearing the lens used for the above image of my study desk:

Mentioned earlier was the quirky stop down metering - I have used the Takumars on this body and its predecessor the *istDL2 since 2006. I am now using the green button to meter for both K mount and M42 lenses.
what did you use to murder out the body?? i kind of dig it - though i would have at least left the PENTAX logo on the top! nice job though!
03-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #81
Pentaxian

I always found myself in the film days 'seeing' what was loaded in the camera either colour or B&W and it took me ages to 'see' in monochrome when shooting with digital. Same as when I am walking around with a certain lens I see within the environment images for that lens. For the most part I still shoot my monochrome on film; not because it is better or purer but because I enjoy using the fully mechanical cameras, processing film and working in the darkroom. Sort of like the difference between a road bike and a mountain bike similar but different.

When I got the WGIII for Christmas I set it for monochrome and 1:1 and for the most part leave it there.

We are looking for a role for my wife's K10D to play as the autofocus did not take kindly to the camera being dropped. Other than as backup it seems like a book shelf ornament.

OP: Great thread
03-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by insulinguy Quote
what did you use to murder out the body??
Electrical tape. The body had a face plant a few years ago and the brow got mussed up a bit and a crack in the housing below the horn of the flash and above the lens mount. So tape is not just cosmetic.

03-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #83
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Cool! Great idea and nice execution :-)
03-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buceemie Quote
Cool! Great idea and nice execution :-)
Thank you.
It is interesting to read this recent article on The Online Photographer which together with the commentators indicates a large number of people thinking in a similar pattern and using similar processes and tools. That was from a few days ago and then there we're echoes again in this post a week later.
03-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #85
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I was inspired to try this with my K-01 and am really enjoying it. With mirrorless you get the bonus of seeing the image in BW live view. Also can set the aspect ratio to 1:1 which has been awesome, since I'm mostly shooting street and portraits, and sharing to Instagram. No cropping! :-)

Also no viewfinder, obviously, on this camera but I can't help but to say #poormansLeica

Thanks again Arjay Bee
05-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Family: My Mother and my Grand daughter

K20D with ST 105 2.8
06-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Original Poster

A tree at work - not sure of species, maybe a pepper. But it has a very interesting smooth trunk and dark bark and very fine leaves. Catches late afternoon sun nicely.
06-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One from today:

Cross posted in monochrome thread Super Macro Takumar pre set at 5.6
07-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interesting vehicle:

K20D with Kiron 28mm f2 at about f8
05-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Great idea! Thanks to this thread I also decided to use one of my cameras for monochrome - Samsung NX5 which has more or less the same sensor like K20D. This model is mirrorless with EVF so I set to full monochrome which helps me, as I didn't used BW film for years.
The sensor is little noisy, but that looks quite natural - I also think it is "film like".

When used with ISO set to auto it resembles the way I used one of my film cameras - Pentax MV. Well it looks not so good of course, but the size and weight are more or less the same.

I attached the original pancake lens - SMC Pentax M - 40/2.8 which works great with small camera (thanks to the adapter). I rather plan to leave this lens permanently on.

I do not want to just JPG's as my Samsung produces usually ugly ones. I develop RAWs in Raw Therapee using one of the presets for BW film (this is a great tool called HALT CLUT- several dozen presets for BW films and even more for color ones are available). Just one of the first snaps from this setup below.