Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"New Old Stock" for Pentax DSLRs.

Hi Pentaxians and friends.

I haven’t written anything for the past five days or so. My daughter and my granddaughter were visiting and we spent some times at Disneyland, California. I will post about that later on this week.

I was in Claremont, California, last week for business. While there, I spotted a small camera store in a strip mall along Foothill Boulevard. After my meeting, I drove back to the store. The store, "Claremont Camera & Video", is located at 863 W. Foothill Boulevard in Claremont. Like many of the smaller camera stores, it is having a tough time competing against the “ B&H Photo” the “Best Buy” and the Circuit City” of the world. In fact, the store has turned into a predominantly Scrapbooking store.

However, they still have a lot of photographic equipment for sale. It’s what we usually call “New Old Stock”, meaning of course that the equipment is new but outdated or new but not being manufactured anymore. Small camera stores l can be found in many Towns across the USA and probably other Countries as well. You owe it to yourself to visit them and take a real close look at what they have. You won’t find much of the newest digital autofocus lenses and high-end DSLR cameras. However, if you know what to look for, you can get great deals, much better that you can on EBay for example. In the case of filters, tripods, camera bags and many more items, it doesn’t matter if it’s old stock. I spotted full cabinets with lenses and accessories. None were autofocus but I noticed several Vivitar 2X Macro-Focusing Teleconverters for Pentax, Nikon and Canon. The prices were still as marked back then, I suppose. I purchased some filters at bargain prices, step-up rings and the Vivitar 2X Macro-Focusing Teleconverter for Pentax. I paid $35.00 for it and although not autofocus, I think I found a pearl.

If you like to shoot in Macro, you probably found that it’s often easier to shoot in Manual anyway. I used my Pentax “A” 50mm f/1.4 and I am very pleased with the results. You get a 2X multiplier to begin with and you can adjust the macro mode by simply turning the rubberized ring on the barrel of the Teleconverter. It has a range of 1:1.5 to 1:20. The one I purchase has all of the connections found on “A” type lenses and therefore everything is compatible with my K10D and K20D except for the autofocus.

I haven’t seen any Vivitar 2X Macro-Focusing Teleconverters for Pentax on EBay, but I’m sure they can be found occasionally. Check out small camera stores in your area, you might be surprised at what can be found if you look carefully. Ask the store manager if they have any “New Old Stock” items not displayed.

It makes me wonder why they don’t make an autofocus version for today’s DSLR cameras. Let us know if you have found “New Old Stock” items too.

Thanks for reading,

Yvon Bourque

P.S. All of the flowers photographed were less than 1/4" across.

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 05-31-2008 at 08:44 PM.
03-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
Forum Member

next time I go to So Cal.
03-25-2008, 04:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice find. You won't find many on Ebay because most folks are reluctant to get rid of them. I just bought the same converter (used) from a local shop for $25. The P/K-A version is nice. I also grabbed a set of Vivitar macro extension tubes (also P/K-A) that were NOS.
03-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have two of said devices, as well as the Viv Macro tubes. No I do not use the TC's at the same time, one was minorly defective so I had to hunt down another one. Def worth the investment.

03-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yvon, you probably haven't looked hard enough, you can find a Vivitar 2XMFTC in Pentax mount on eBay maybe once a week. They're not always PK-A, but they're there. On the other hand, you will have a hard time getting one for $35; that's a great price. The PK mount version usually goes for $60-80 and the PK-A version for $70-100.

I probably shouldn't brag, but I managed to get one of the PK-A mount versions on eBay for $37 shipped

Last edited by Miserere; 03-25-2008 at 10:05 AM.
03-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #6

*sigh*

Makes me wish I didn't live in the back end of nowhere without a "local" camera shop within at least a two hour drive.
03-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jester_rm Quote
*sigh*

Makes me wish I didn't live in the back end of nowhere without a "local" camera shop within at least a two hour drive.
I have 2 words for you: E Bay.

You're welcome.
03-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Yvon, you probably haven't looked hard enough, you can find a Vivitar 2XMFTC in Pentax mount on eBay maybe once a week. They're not always PK-A, but they're there. On the other hand, you will have a hard time getting one for $35; that's a great price. The PK mount version usually goes for $60-80 and the PK-A version for $70-100.

I probably shouldn't brag, but I managed to get one of the PK-A mount versions on eBay for $37 shipped
Hi,

I have no doubt that they can be found on EBay. In my situation, I wasn't looking for nothing in particular while at the store. I just start looking at everything they had and found this Vivitar Tele-extender by luck. The price was really good and If anyone lives near Claremont, they should go and see what they have. Actually I don't think the people working there really know what they have! They also have a lot of Mamiya and Bronica medium format lenses, bodies and accessories.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque

03-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Hi,

I have no doubt that they can be found on EBay. In my situation, I wasn't looking for nothing in particular while at the store. I just start looking at everything they had and found this Vivitar Tele-extender by luck. The price was really good and If anyone lives near Claremont, they should go and see what they have. Actually I don't think the people working there really know what they have! They also have a lot of Mamiya and Bronica medium format lenses, bodies and accessories.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
Those are the best buys, aren't they? When you just stroll into some store, not really looking for, or expecting anything, and you find yourself a great bargain.

Yvon, see if you can find a store like this in Boston for me, OK?
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I've had a pentax A 50 1.7 and vivitar extension tubes off ebay and i've got a 2x vivitar teleconverter on it's way... I love the old stuff, it's so much more fun than expensive modern gear.
03-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #11

from ebay
" Pentax K-A 2x teleconverter in mint condition. It is a Vivitar MC. It has pins for A lenses and cameras. It fits K 1000, ME, MG, MX, Super P, Program Plus, A 3000, A3, Pentax, Ricoh and other K-A mount cameras."

I assume it will work with auto focus lenses on my K10D, am I right?
03-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
from ebay
" Pentax K-A 2x teleconverter in mint condition. It is a Vivitar MC. It has pins for A lenses and cameras. It fits K 1000, ME, MG, MX, Super P, Program Plus, A 3000, A3, Pentax, Ricoh and other K-A mount cameras."

I assume it will work with auto focus lenses on my K10D, am I right?
It will not autofocus. You have to focus manually. The Vivitar Tele-extender I am writing about at the top of this post is actually special because it also has the Macro capabilities. I believe the one you are listing is only a 2x converter, without the Macro capabilities. You can find those easily.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque