Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...they have some other plan for the money.
Just be patient.
Simplest explanation is that they have no money, and no plan is of use then.
They've been absent from almost all major shows in the western hemisphere, unless it was a big show like FotoKina which is sponsored by the HQ in Japan, when Japanese officials and engineers come as stars and their western representatives like guests (I presume they must pay the tickets and airfares too).

Last edited by Uluru; 09-03-2013 at 02:21 PM.
09-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Simplest explanation is that they have no money, and no plan is of use then.
They've been absent from almost all major shows in the western hemisphere, unless it was a big show like FotoKina which is sponsored by the HQ in Japan, when Japanese officials and engineers come as stars and their western representatives like guests (I presume they must pay the tickets and airfares too).
Ya know, I eat most of your stuff with eqanimity, but I don't sling hash across the equator.
09-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
Banned

Ya know, I eat most of your stuff with eqanimity, but I don't sling hash across the equator.
A parallel universe for you, I guess.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-03-2013 at 04:09 PM.
09-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Well... at least they'll be at CES again.

2014 International CESŪ Exhibitor Details - Pentax Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation

10-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #20

Disappointed

Just found this thread after reviewing PhotoPlus floor plan for tomorrow and not finding Pentax. Frankly, there's no excuse for not being at this show, and I believe the absence will just reinforce to third-party manufacturers that Pentax is not worth supporting.

Disappointed.
10-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JBWPhoto Quote
Just found this thread after reviewing PhotoPlus floor plan for tomorrow and not finding Pentax. Frankly, there's no excuse for not being at this show, and I believe the absence will just reinforce to third-party manufacturers that Pentax is not worth supporting.

Disappointed.
Maybe Nikon will show their D400.
10-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I dunno mate, that "sling hash" phrase gives you away. I think your calm facade is cracking.

10-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JBWPhoto Quote

Disappointed.
Why would Pentax have a booth? That company doesn't exist anymore. Ricoh owns the brand now, and I have a feeling you won't be seeing them at any trade shows outside of Japan except the biennial one in Germany...
10-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Maybe Nikon will show their D400.
I expect Nikon will show their so-called D4H retro camera.

Unless Ricoh are embarrassed about having a very small new product footprint, compared to the opposition, I can't see whey they wouldn't attend. Not having a presence doesn't fit with their stated aim to join the big league and offers nothing apart from a chance for doomsayers.
10-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Unless Ricoh are embarrassed about having a very small new product footprint, compared to the opposition, I can't see whey they wouldn't attend. Not having a presence doesn't fit with their stated aim to join the big league and offers nothing apart from a chance for doomsayers.
Maybe this year the cost of the booth ($80,000) just isn't justified for the size of the offering. It isn't embarrassment - it's just business. If all the passed up trafe shows outside Japan conserves #1,000,000 for engineering - so they have more products to show in three years - it will be money well-saved.

You start where you are, not where you wish you were.
10-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Anyways, despite them not having a booth? Who is going? I get there tomorrow afternoon, and will be there for the rest of the show. It would be fun to connect with other Pentaxians. Are there any Pentax hangs already organized or should we plan something?
10-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Banned

Maybe this year the cost of the booth ($80,000) just isn't justified for the size of the offering....
I'm not buying it.

If the K-3 was indeed originally scheduled for mid-November anouncement (as Pentax sources confirmed), then Ricoh Imaging USA did not have anything for the show, indeed, in time when the exhibitor booking confirmation was due.

However, that with a K-3 in hands they could not convince 300 or 400 fans at the show that Pentax is the right for them, and cover all expenses with that small sale alone, I really don't believe.

First explanation is much easier to accept; September 5th wild rumour came out of whack, threw Pentax users worldwide in huge disappointment, and they needed to calm down their audience by announcing the K-3 ahead of schedule. It was too late for the New York show, but that's life.
10-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The WPPI conference and Expo is this Spring in Vegas. Pentax is listed.

http://www.wppionline.com/show/exhibitor-list.shtml

They have a large booth in the grand ballroom.
10-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It was too late for the New York show, but that's life.
I work a lot of trade shows, and my company actually hosts one as well. Depending on the venue and industry we have seen the shows either dying, with lots of empty space, or completely sold out a year in advance. I don't know about this show, but if Ricoh ever intended to be there they would have signed up last year at the end of the show. Most trade shows offer a discount to lock in your booth for the next year, and a deadline after which your booth is open to anyone who wants the space. So if they were not there, it has nothing at all to do with the k-3 as they should have signed the agreement a year ago. I take from this that they either felt the show was not worth the expense or they screwed up and did not renew their booth before it got sold to someone else.

Someone who was at the show can confirm whether all booth space was used. If it was then I'm guessing they missed the signup deadline.

Being at a show like this is more about brand presence, not showing off one product. If you have something to show, fine, but you don't decide on whether you attend a show based on one product. You either commit to using that venue as part of your marketing plan or you don't go.