Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Last night at my camera club, a new member (joined last night) asked why anyone would choose an oddball camera (his words) like Pentax rather than Canon or Nikon. He shoots Canon 5D.

I suggested physical size, ergonomics, etc. I also said I've been shooting Pentax since 1968 and still using my M42 lenses and the AF lenses I bought with my SFx in '89.

He was a bit dismissive as it was obvious I only upgraded.
As he asked "why", did you ask "why not"?

09-02-2013, 06:54 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd raise an eyebrow. If he persisted, I'd pause, look at the camera, look into his eyes and sweetly say, "Because people like you choose Canon."

Last edited by monochrome; 09-02-2013 at 08:19 PM.
09-02-2013, 07:10 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

"Pentax is a little more exclusive, but don't worry, mass-market cameras can take pretty good pictures too."
09-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The best answer is something like this:

"Works for me and I am a picky person..."

or how about:

"For the same reason anybody would buy a Leica or any other specialty brand..."

On a different slant, yesterday I was doing a volunteer shoot at a wedding reception along with an old friend who is an avid and very active Canon shooter*. We were both cursing the light (full sun with some dappled --> dense shade with all the guests crowded into the shade) and finding it difficult to get reasonable exposure. I was using as much skill as I could bring to bear and we were both doing a lot of "chimping" and exposure compensation. She had her 5DIII and two L zooms and I was shooting the 18-55 kit, FA 35/2, and a Rokinon 8/3.5 fisheye on my K10D. (No, I don't own a nicer walk-around zoom and yes, I shoot with an "obsolete" camera.) She did some good work. I did some good work. And today when we both started uploading photos for the family to view, we had some good results to show. My keeper ratio was about 30%. I have no idea what her's was.

The interesting thing was that both of our camera's metering systems were going bonkers, both of us were having trouble acquiring acceptable focus, and both of us were having camera motion issues. In the end, I figured that my shooting would have benefited from manual mode and using an incident reading from a hand-held meter. Another plus would have been some well-balanced fill-flash. I will have to ask her what she would have done differently.

Steve

* http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotomakr

09-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
"Pentax is a little more exclusive, but don't worry, mass-market cameras can take pretty good pictures too."
Dang! That one bites!

Steve
09-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #21

Last night at my camera club, a new member (joined last night) asked why anyone would choose an oddball camera (his words) like Pentax rather than Canon or Nikon. He shoots Canon 5D.

I suggested physical size, ergonomics, etc. I also said I've been shooting Pentax since 1968 and still using my M42 lenses and the AF lenses I bought with my SFx in '89.

That is a no-win situation, because his question is insulting to begin with. First, you should not have to be on the defensive because you choose not to shoot Nikon or Canon - or any brand, frankly - but his choice of the two biggest brands shows that he's close minded and likely just a sheep himself. Which leads to my second point - any honest answer you give is going to point out that either he's a sheep or ignorant. So better off to just ignore it. I mean - would you make a similarly insulting comment to someone who happens to shoot Canon or Nikon?

I would think your answer that you have been shooting cameras since 1968 would indicate that you know what you're doing.

In contrast to your experience, almost every time I have gone into a camera store and have been asked what I use, I have been met with genuine interest and comments about the "coolness" and quality of Pentax lenses. And not one of the stores I have been in carries Pentax. That's how professionals react - they understand there are many good brands out there, even though they may sell only the big ones.

To sum up, your clubmate was an insulting idiot, and your answer was fine.
09-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I think that one is the winner!

09-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Well, upgrading is a perfect justification in itself, isn't it?

I don't know why many posters here are so defensive/aggressive.

I think your new club member asked a valid question. After all, it is easier to source equipment from the big two, borrow or rent lenses, etc. Going with the mainstream has advantages, so I would not imply that he meant that you could take better pictures with Canikon stuff, or anything like that.

Outside "upgrading", there are many good reasons for choosing Pentax, amongst which are:
  • Great value for money (for camera bodies and used market lenses. MAP has destroyed this property for new Pentax lenses but there are excellent Sigma and Tamron lenses in case you want to buy new and not overpay).
  • Best camera ergonomics.
  • In-body image stabilisation.
  • Best usage of SONY sensors (Pentax gets more out of the same model than Nikon).
  • Access to a large array of classic but still great lenses.
  • Equipments size.
  • FA Limiteds have outstanding IQ and are beautifully built (shame about the price increases).
  • Weather-sealing at unbeatable prices.
There's probably more, but I think that's more than enough already.
09-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't know why many posters here are so defensive/aggressive.
Because the question is aggressively demeaning.
09-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think I would have just said "because I don't have a small..." you finish the rest.
09-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lady on the left considers herself a professional photographer because she has a website where she sells "wildlife photography". (Meaning pictures of birds) She knows she's a pro because she has a Nikon D800 and a Nikon 80-400mm lens. She has spent multiple days standing in a road taking pictures of the same Red-headed Woodpecker as a hundred other photographers, but she can't move the camera by herself so she really doesn't have a choice...

Oh, and she has a very nice $1,500 tripod too...
09-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I dislike meeting other photographers, especially male ones, anywhere.
They will often go immediately into gearfaggotry of the worst kind. Camera clubs are the worst.
09-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

If I had my K20D with me when someone asked why I shoot Pentax, I would just hand it to them. I'm sure they would think it feels amazing. Or not. Either way, I think it feels amazing, and I do not enjoy the feeling of shooting my 60D, or any other DSLR nearly as much as my K20D. And the layout of the controls is simply divine.
09-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #29
Pentaxian

"Because it the photographer that counts "

Its hard to gauge the tone of his question from written text on a forum.
If he's genuine, then there are a whole list of reasons as given by the others.
If he's just being an xss then the above answer is a valid as any other rude one.
09-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Because the question is aggressively demeaning.
I think that's what you (and perhaps others) are reading into it.
Why assume the worst?

If this question -- with exactly the same wording -- is asked by a humble guy who honestly does not know why anyone would deviate from "the industry standard" then I'd regard it as purely inquisitive and not judgemental in any way.

A non-sarcastic answer may educate him and he may consider Pentax himself.