Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why assume the worst?
Well, normally you don't have to assume, do you?.

Some people react with genuine interest and curiosity to the unknown; some feel uncomfortable and react with fear or agressiveness (quite often the same thing) when they encounter a stranger from another tribe. I usually don't have any troubles with hearing - or reading - whether a CanNikonian belongs to the first or to the latter group.

...and to the latter my answer would normally be (although maybe not entirely true): "Because I am a photographer".

09-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #32

In a situation like the OP's, I would back out as quickly as possible, as it is indeed a "no win" situation, as has already been stated in this thread.

If someone shows genuine interest in my equipment, and is not derogatory about it, then I will happily explain my reasons for shooting Pentax, and would also be interested in their reasons for shooting with what they do (more often than has been due to the marketing of Canon or Nikon, and lack thereof by Pentax).

However, I will be derogatory of someone who claims to be a Pro, but shoots on Full Auto with the kit lens and popup flash, regardless of the brand.

B
09-03-2013, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Last night at my camera club, a new member (joined last night) asked why anyone would choose an oddball camera (his words) like Pentax rather than Canon or Nikon. He shoots Canon 5D.
The reason why anybody choses a system varies from person to person.

For me it was in 2006/7, when Pentax was the only one with both IBIS and screwdrive AF, and very affordable lenses. The sales person in the camera shop suggested Pentax to me, because the prices of the lenses were kept low because didn't need their own stabilisation or motor. Of course, that's all history now.
09-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tend not to care about the opinion of an ass, so I don't defend or explain anything. I just wander off and forget they exist.

09-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Why is always blokes who worry about the size of...er the make of their camera ?
This sort of thing hasn't evolved much since pre-history
09-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I also said I've been shooting Pentax since 1968 and still using my M42 lenses and the AF lenses I bought with my SFx in '89.
This the reason I usually give for why I'm using Pentax. I already had quite a few lenses so going digital meant only changing over to a DSLR body. Now, I'm able to add new lenses as I'm able, rather than having to start completely over. Although, really, I've never had any decent photographer whose opinion I value seriously question why I use Pentax. Most of them are familiar with Pentax's reputation from the film days and know it as a serious camera brand. Someone in another reply mentioned handing their Pentax camera to folks so they could hold it. I've found that this is a real eye-opener for many photographers. They're immediately impressed by how good it feels in the hand and how solid it feels. And you can pretty much say that about every camera in the Pentax line...from the Q to the K5.
09-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow! So many great replies.

I can say this bloke isn't humble (see a couple of posts up!) and I felt the question was dismissive of my choice.

As the bloke was thinking of joining our very small club (he is a member of a nearby much bigger club) and as I'm the club treasurer and webmaster I didn't want to offend him.
09-03-2013, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
This the reason I usually give for why I'm using Pentax. I already had quite a few lenses so going digital meant only changing over to a DSLR body. Now, I'm able to add new lenses as I'm able, rather than having to start completely over. Although, really, I've never had any decent photographer whose opinion I value seriously question why I use Pentax. Most of them are familiar with Pentax's reputation from the film days and know it as a serious camera brand. Someone in another reply mentioned handing their Pentax camera to folks so they could hold it. I've found that this is a real eye-opener for many photographers. They're immediately impressed by how good it feels in the hand and how solid it feels. And you can pretty much say that about every camera in the Pentax line...from the Q to the K5.
Being locked into a system because you don't want the practical or financial implications of switching systems doesn't really count as an advantage.

09-03-2013, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter

I don't know that I would get in a big argument over it, or even be particularly sarcastic. I would just say that for me, portability and sealing are more important than some of the things that Canon/Nikon offer. In the end, it is about the images we create and the glass/light box combo we use to create them.

There are plenty of biting remarks that could be made about the quality of Canon's gear as well as the way their sensor perform in DXO Mark testing, but I fear that those, as well veer fairly far afield of what I hope is the goal of every photographer -- capturing keepers.

Truthfully, I hate gear questions in general, because it just is more about preferences. Whether you choose to shoot with a Q or 5D MK III or a film Pentax 67 is a personal choice that doesn't have to be explained to anyone, if the results are there in the form of images.
09-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm joining a photography club for the first time tomorrow.
I may get a few questions like that thrown my way, so I have my "Because I like photography" answer prepared.

Does it need to be elaborated on? It depends on the motive behind the question.
But no matter what kit we use, we all end up with photos.

I think that in Japan, photographers there don't have a chip on their shoulder.
I remember one time, there was a group of chaps taking photos of kingfishers from a distance. I only had my K10 and FA100-300 whilst others had all Canon and Nikon 500mm and 600mm and a few Bigmas.
I was the only Pentax user and not one of them told me to get what they had. They asked me if I had a teleconverter. One said that the Bigma was in K-mount and it would give the desired focal length. One even said that long Pentax lenses were hard to find and I would be lucky if I could find one.
You see, that's all informative and that's what hobbies should be about.
09-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #41
Site Supporter

I've had people, who aren't even photo enthusiasts, ask me this same question (in an asinine way, not in a humble way). Canon's advertising and brand image is that successful.
09-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Because the question is aggressively demeaning.
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I think that's what you (and perhaps others) are reading into it.
Why assume the worst?

If this question -- with exactly the same wording -- is asked by a humble guy who honestly does not know why anyone would deviate from "the industry standard" then I'd regard it as purely inquisitive and not judgemental in any way.

A non-sarcastic answer may educate him and he may consider Pentax himself.
Here's an example. There are two kinds of critics - and easily distinguishable.

I have been an adult leader in a youth leadership development program for 20 years. One of my roles is to train new adult leaders and I have been the leader of the training staff (I know that is complex) for 3 years now.

As a side task at one time I casually photographed the training "events" using whatever Pentax cameras and lenses were the most fun and capable that I owned at the time. There are now two other photographers on the training staff - both Nikon users.

One is a very nice guy and appreciates why I like my Pentax gear (including the ability to use my favorite legacy lenses). He and I talk shop to the point that he borrowed my K-01 and DA40 Limited for a couple weeks just to see what all the shouting was about. He actually said he understands both sides of the arguments and spoke competently and fairly on his conclusions! Good guy.

One is a jerk who retired early from a middle-management job for the telephone company, taking a massive pension buyout. He is absolutely and totally obnoxious about his Nikon gear, his Porsche, his 3500 square foot home and all his other adult toys. Apparently, since he has chosen Nikon anything else is inferior and anyone using anything else is benighted.

Both are better photographers than I am,

Guess which one I asked to serve as the official staff photographer when I assumed the Training Staff Chair?
09-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Guess which one I asked to serve as the official staff photographer when I assumed the Training Staff Chair?
The guy with the Porsche, of course, as he'll be the quickest to get to assignment locations.
09-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Wow! So many great replies.

I can say this bloke isn't humble (see a couple of posts up!) and I felt the question was dismissive of my choice.

As the bloke was thinking of joining our very small club (he is a member of a nearby much bigger club) and as I'm the club treasurer and webmaster I didn't want to offend him.
Another possible reply and it's not condescending (at least not on the surface!):

Yeah, it would have been easier to buy a Nikon or maybe a Canon (a dig you can leave out depending on the questioner) but I decided to research it more and I ended up choosing a Pentax. Sure, they are hard to find but I think it was worth the effort.

and even add this if you wish...

Besides, isn't Pentax what people in Japan use?
09-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Being locked into a system because you don't want the practical or financial implications of switching systems doesn't really count as an advantage.
I'm no more locked into Pentax now than I was when digital cameras came out, am I? lol Had I opted to switch systems, THEN I would have been handcuffed because I would have lost a full set of primes, zooms, bellows, flashes, attachments, etc...until I was able to sell my old gear. And I disagree that it's not an advantage to switch over to digital and still be able to use all of your existing lenses. That's actually one of the things people find very interesting about Pentax.