Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I usually reply (if the inquiry is an aggressive or derogatory one): " Your Canon (or one of the others) is a GREAT camera... but I'm really into photography". Then I walk or turn away. Sometimes, I just reply: "My other cameras are Canons".

It's odd though. When I am lugging Canon gear, I never have Pentax owners ask me about my gear in that manner. I think they're too busy taking photos.

09-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"Why are you still shooting FILM?"
"For the same reason I still play vinyl records and have a valve amplifier, I want the purity of sound (or images), unadulterated by digital electronics!"
09-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
There are a lot of Canikon owners who are just like Pentax owners - they are using tools to create photographs and really couldn't give a damn what gear YOU are using .... But there are not as many Pentax (or Olympus or Sony for that matter) users as there are Canikon users who are mostly into bling and care more about being with the 'in' crowd. I don't hold it against the folks who care more about photographs than showing off equipment, but just so happen to be Canikon users - it could very well be that that is all they had access to and are now unwilling to change .... There seem to be a fair number of former (and still current) k-1000 users in this Forum who wouldn't change for the same reason.
09-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
...it could very well be that that is all they had access to and are now unwilling to change .... There seem to be a fair number of former (and still current) k-1000 users in this Forum who wouldn't change for the same reason.
I think you're exactly right...at least from what I've observed among the photographers I know. 99% of them, when they moved over to digital, stuck with the same brand of camera they'd been using when shooting film. And why wouldn't they? If you have big bucks invested in an expensive telephoto, a set of f2.8 zooms, or an extensive flash system, it would be a bit crazy to sell it all and switch brands without a very good reason to do so.

09-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
"For the same reason I still play vinyl records and have a valve amplifier, I want the purity of sound (or images), unadulterated by digital electronics!"
Same here. I almost got rid of my Dual turntable until I listened to a few vinyl records from the 70s (classics). Despite the crackles and pops, that warm, full sound cannot be heard on digital. So Brahms won't let me get rid of the Dual, or the vinyl records. But golly gee wizzickers, they do take up a lot of space. .. like all my Pentax cameras (Spotmatics on up) and Pentax lenses.
09-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
But there are not as many Pentax […] users as there are Canikon users who are mostly into bling and care more about being with the 'in' crowd.
i highly doubt this. there are in absolute numbers; but in terms of percentages it will be a normal distribution. statistically the only reason for it to be otherwise would be, that the number of pentax owners is so small, that small changes have a disproportionate effect, i.e. something effects ten people out a population of 100 or one of 100,000. even if it were true, frankly you would have no way of knowing it. you‘d need data on motivations and circumstances of hundreds or thousands of people.
i only got my own fab fifty not two months ago. tbh, the few times i saw other people with dslrs, i tried to glimpse what brand they carried. this thread has convinced me of the error of my ways
from now on, when i see another dslr, i‘ll ignore the brand and look for primes vs. zooms, or round vs. petals.
09-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Last night at my camera club, a new member (joined last night) asked why anyone would choose an oddball camera (his words) like Pentax rather than Canon or Nikon. He shoots Canon 5D.

I suggested physical size, ergonomics, etc. I also said I've been shooting Pentax since 1968 and still using my M42 lenses and the AF lenses I bought with my SFx in '89.

He was a bit dismissive as it was obvious I only upgraded.
I switched from a Canon T90, a truly great camera to a Pentax K100d.
I think I got considerably more for my money with the Pentax as well as an enormous selection of fine quality lenses ay great prices.
I am now using the Pentax K-5.
No regrets.
I would rather fight than switch.

Mickey