Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Trip to Boston

To celebrate my 40th birthday, my fiance has rewarded me with a trip to Boston and tickets to see my beloved Sox play the Yankees on April 12th and I'm excited to take my new K20D on this trip!

I do have some questions I'm hoping someone in the NE area can help with that I've had trouble finding on the internet.

1. Any favorite camera stores in the downtown area? I see many Ritz Camera stores on the Google Map (and I have been to Ritz's in there US cities), but the others I see have little info and bad or no websites that I can find?? Any good used camera stores?

2. On the Red Sox/MLB website, it says that cameras are allowed, however I've seen this before at other stadium's events, only to arrive and find out there is a limit on focal length of lenses or "professional" looking equipment. Does anyone know if any such limits exist at Fenway?

3. My tickets are in section 23 and I'm trying to find out if these seats are obstructed by foul ball netting. I guess I can call fenway for this but I thought I'd ask here first!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

PS - Mods - perhaps I'm posting under wrong topic - feel free to move if you deem it mis-posted!

03-25-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
1. Any favorite camera stores in the downtown area?
There's a Calumet in Cambridge (You can take the Red Line to Kendall Sq. or the Green Line to Lechmere and walk, it's not too far from either.) E.P. Levine is in on the waterfront, accessible via the Silver Line. Bromfield Camera is right near Downtown Crossing, not far from the Common.

QuoteQuote:
2. On the Red Sox/MLB website, it says that cameras are allowed, however I've seen this before at other stadium's events, only to arrive and find out there is a limit on focal length of lenses or "professional" looking equipment. Does anyone know if any such limits exist at Fenway?
I'd love to know this, too. I've not tried to take my camera to Fenway yet.

QuoteQuote:
3. My tickets are in section 23 and I'm trying to find out if these seats are obstructed by foul ball netting.
There will be a some netting off to your right, but otherwise a pretty clear view.

Hope you enjoy the game!

Buffy
03-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AHH Fenway, My home away from home. I will bet there on Friday the 11th. First you have an amazing wife to score you Sox vs Yanks tickets. I can not help you with info on camera shops. I never really checked and live actually on the other side of the state so no help. But I can help with bringing a camera to Fenway. Having seen about 9 games at Fenway last year I can tell you I brought my camera to every game and never had an issue. I bring a Tamarac Velocity 7 (like this but older model The Official Tamrac Homepage - The leading manufacturer and distributor of camera, photography and camcorder bags ) I would pack, The K10, 16-45, Sigma 70-200 2.8 TC 1.4 , FA 50mm. Yes I brought the Sigma and never had an issue. When at the gate the guards would never have to ask, I always had the bag open and said it was a camera and never had an issue. Be nice . Now having gone to so many games (well for me it was a lot) I usually left the tags they attached proving it was checked on the bag. I still have them on from last year, I think as the year went on the security folks saw I had been before and the checks got easier. But again, always up front with showing them and they never dug into see what I had. That was last year and the year before. I assume/ hope the same will be for this year.

Section 23 I am pretty sure you will be behind the net or it will be just to your right. I am curious does the ticket say Obstructed view? That section is great and can be bad. There is a pole in that area that sometimes blocks your view of home plate depending on your seat. I went and checked I am pretty sure I was in Section 24 or 23 for this shot. See said pole on the right.

Sigma and a crop.

Gotta run. Listening to the Sox in Japan now and we just tied the game. YAHOO!!!
03-25-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Buffy & Pat - Thank you for quick replies and info! Very helpful! I woke up at 4am to watch the game this morning and with it going into extra innings now I'm gonna be late for work!

My ticket does not say obstructed view so i at least assume there are no poles in the way. I wasn't sure if netting counts as an obstruction!

You should have seen me cry like a baby when I opened my present in front of 14 friends! I've been dreaming of going to Fenway my entire life, but living in Western Canada, my scarce holiday $$ have always gone to get me out of the cold to warmer climates!

Mark

Mark

03-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #5

I can second them not giving anyone trouble. I brought my K100D in with a 28-200 for the World Series last year without trouble. At the same game my brother in law brought in a canon something or another with a 70-300 without trouble.

You'll love being there. You can feel it's something special when you come out of the concourse up to the seats. They open the Park 2 hours before the game. Get their early and you can watch the Yankees take BP.
03-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The only had trouble once with a bag checker at Fenway. He gave me tons of flack about my bag since I had a camera (just a little Powershot P&S, pre-DSLR days) and a laptop (was coming from work). Irritated I just got in another line and everything was fine. Guess I got a bag Nazi.
03-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
vievetrick: how in the world did you fit a sigma 70-200/2.8 in a Velocity 7? I have the same pack, but I'm pretty sure my Tamron 70-300 is the longest that'll fit comfortably in it? Did you put the lens on the side and take out a compartment?

darth: there's also Hunt's in Medford but there are lots of lights to get to it, so it'll take at least 1/2 from Boston. It's a pretty big store. Calumet in Cambridge is probably 2nd biggest. 'fraid neither carry lots of Pentax stuff, but Hunt's does carry some. Bromfield is tiny. Haven't been to EP Levine, but I think they're the only one that rents gear (Nikon/Canon and video) around here. Congrats on the sox/yanks tix...your wife probably paid through the nose for those so now you're going to have to make it up to her on her 40th ;-)
03-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Kenyee, I did take out one of the compartments near the bottom and it will fit with an adjustment to the side wall in the middle. I will try and take a picture to show you

Makes for a small heavy bag but gets the job done. Sometimes I leave the hood at home and that gives me a little more room.

Sox pulled out a win today and hope they do the same for me and you in April Mark. PS Happy Birthday.

03-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #9

Anyone going to opening day?
03-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I wish? Last year I got invited the day before. Some how I don't think I will be as lucky this year.
03-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
vievetrick: how in the world did you fit a sigma 70-200/2.8 in a Velocity 7? I have the same pack, but I'm pretty sure my Tamron 70-300 is the longest that'll fit comfortably in it? Did you put the lens on the side and take out a compartment?

darth: there's also Hunt's in Medford but there are lots of lights to get to it, so it'll take at least 1/2 from Boston. It's a pretty big store. Calumet in Cambridge is probably 2nd biggest. 'fraid neither carry lots of Pentax stuff, but Hunt's does carry some. Bromfield is tiny. Haven't been to EP Levine, but I think they're the only one that rents gear (Nikon/Canon and video) around here. Congrats on the sox/yanks tix...your wife probably paid through the nose for those so now you're going to have to make it up to her on her 40th ;-)
Are there any stores in Boston and surroundings that carry Pentax stuff?
03-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
Are there any stores in Boston and surroundings that carry Pentax stuff?
When I bought my K10D last year, only Hunt's in Melrose had it.
I haven't hit the others stores mentioned in a while...