Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Broken Camera (Replacement)

I recently broke my Pentax K-30 after it fell out of my bag (poor baby). Luckily I bought the damage protection warranty. So bestbuy is sending me a check for 800 dollars about 300 bucks more than the camera is worth . My question is should I wait to hear for pentax's announcement or should I pull the trigger now? Also does anyone know the time frame of when the announcement will be?

P.S I have not been a Pentaxian for very long. Typically how long after they announce a camera does one go on sale?

09-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There's supposed to be some sort of announcement tomorrow, so wait for 24 hours, but it's unlikely that if it's the 'big' announcement to do with FF that the camera will be anywhere near $800, so whilst you're waiting look at the K50 that's replaced the K30.
09-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
There's supposed to be some sort of announcement tomorrow, so wait for 24 hours, but it's unlikely that if it's the 'big' announcement to do with FF that the camera will be anywhere near $800, so whilst you're waiting look at the K50 that's replaced the K30.
Definitely wait for the announcements coming, however if you liked your k-30 I'd say there is no reason to spend the extra money on a K-50 when you could put $300+ into a nice lens (or two...or towards a really nice lens).
09-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Definitely wait for the announcements coming, however if you liked your k-30 I'd say there is no reason to spend the extra money on a K-50 when you could put $300+ into a nice lens (or two...or towards a really nice lens).
Thanks for the update I did not realize the announcement would be tomorrow. If I was to go for a new camera today it would be the k5 II as under 800 bucks on amazon plus I still have my kit lens and some other quality glass.

09-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Five or Fifty?

If it was my choice, I'd get a K-5 (II or IIS) now, anyway. If Pentax sees fit to announce a new flagship APS-C DSLR, it won't be anywhere near $800, and a full frame (highly doubtful) would be even higher.
Look at it this way; It's a free upgrade!
JMO
Ron
09-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
If it was my choice, I'd get a K-5 (II or IIS) now, anyway. If Pentax sees fit to announce a new flagship APS-C DSLR, it won't be anywhere near $800, and a full frame (highly doubtful) would be even higher.
Look at it this way; It's a free upgrade!
JMO
Ron
True. Also they just lowed the prices on them a few days ago I could not see a company lowering there price twice in a month... But who actually knows with pentax's pricing now a days :P
09-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ahhhh just took the plunge and order it on amazon with next day. Should have a K5 II tomorrow.

09-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenMatchett Quote
True. Also they just lowed the prices on them a few days ago I could not see a company lowering there price twice in a month... But who actually knows with pentax's pricing now a days :P
I don't expect that Pentax would lower the price, but I'm hoping vendors might to clear inventory if there's a new product coming. But yeah, probably not gonna happen.

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenMatchett Quote
Ahhhh just took the plunge and order it on amazon with next day. Should have a K5 II tomorrow.
nice I've had it in my Amazon shopping cart for three days now...can't quite bring myself to click purchase. Maybe after the announcement tomorrow.
09-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dagaetch Quote
I don't expect that Pentax would lower the price, but I'm hoping vendors might to clear inventory if there's a new product coming. But yeah, probably not gonna happen.

nice I've had it in my Amazon shopping cart for three days now...can't quite bring myself to click purchase. Maybe after the announcement tomorrow.
Amazon offers free return shipping with a window of 30 days that's what gave me the impulse to not worry about tomorrows announcement