Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

new lens = dark pictures

Hi, I have the k-30 "kit lens dal 18-55" and bought the smc pentax da 50mm f1.8 lens. when the camera is set to auto all the pictures come out dark. with the kit lens, pictures are fine. histogram shows the peak on the far left w/ the 50mm lens on. I am coming from the land of point and shoot, but I'm learning fast. have had the camera for about two months now. pictures were taken on bright sunny day. I am using m mode as much as I can, like I said, I'm still learning to use all the cameras functions. what am I doing wrong or is this the nature on this lens? I have attached a few sample pictures. Thanks.....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The exif data shows that you've dialed in a negative exposure compensation for all these shots. Reset it back to 0 and you should be good to go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would also go into the menu under "memory" and clear off the box for exposure compensation. That way, even if you set EC on purpose, when you cycle the camera off and on, it will automatically reset to zero. While you're in there, uncheck any other boxes of stuff you think you might forget to reset.
09-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I would also go into the menu under "memory" and clear off the box for exposure compensation. That way, even if you set EC on purpose, when you cycle the camera off and on, it will automatically reset to zero. While you're in there, uncheck any other boxes of stuff you think you might forget to reset.
Good tip, I've been burnt by the camera remembering previous EV compensation many times.

09-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
ADAM, thank you for the reply, reset to zero and all is well, now the only thing left to do is go out and see how much better this nifty fifty is over the kit lens. Thanks' again, bunkachunk........
09-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
KOZLOK, Thank you for your reply, went into memory and I did have everything checked, unchecked all, now no problems, pitchers are coming out great. Thank you very much. bunkachunk.......