Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
If I cannot take any form of camera bag, I purchased neoprene graphing calculator cases. As soon as the U.S. 'back to school' rush is over, these cases tend to head over to the clearance area in office supply stores for a couple bucks each. These cases are weather resistant and typically have belt loops. They will stretch to hold most lenses or flash units - maybe even a Pentax body without a mounted lens.

If really, really pushed, Although my k-30 w/ 18-135 is WR, I would put the camera in a WR ready case that had a belt loop and my 55-300 in one of the above cases. Both would go into my carry-on. I use eneloop NiMH batteries rather than LiON, so the rest of my photo gear can be in carry-on or checked baggage as necessary. While hiking, the ready case and extra lens would hang off my belt.

09-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have some Quantaray pretty rigid but very light lens cases. This is a four layer design - outer neoprene, some very light rubberised sheet in the centre + air cushion 1/2 inch squares, lastly inside black velvet fabric. These are cylindrical in shape and look very pretty. Zippered cover opens almost 360 degrees. $ 4 to 9 each depending on size.
Excellent for storing and cushioning Lenses.
09-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #18

For lenses I use soft pouches. For the camera I use a Danke protective wrap, which has similar effect to a pouch. Both then go in a backpack for carry-on.

I don't use a dedicated camera bag, partly because they tend to be bulky, and partly because I don't want to advertise my photographic gear.
09-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

We get some pretty excellent neoprene protective lens pouches on eBay India. Check out the link given below. The pouches are 3.2 inch in internal dia x 4.20 inch length for $ 3.60 to $ 5.50 with Free shipping within India.

M Neoprene Pouch Case Bag for Canon Nikon Lens 8x11cm | eBay

Soft Neoprene DSLR Camera Lens Case Waterproof Pouch Protector Bag large | eBay

09-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

For bodies and lenses..., carry on only. If you can't fit it in reasonably then you're taking too much stuff.

If you're packing an HD DA-560mm f5.6 ED AW then you can afford to charter a private jet.
09-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I use a Lowe pro Aventura or similar bag for my kit. Then I put that bag inside my large messenger bag which is my "personal item." so all electronics, camera, glasses, I pods, sunglasses, etc go in that bag. Never check that stuff. Then you still have backpack which you can throw in overhead bin. Not a big deal. Those decent size bags from Lowe pro carry all the gear you'll need. Many bag manufacturers make similar models. I don't think putting gear mixed in with clothes is the best solution because you will sometimes be forced to check that backpack if the overheads are full. And there will be nothing you can do at that point.
09-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is some great advice guys. I'll get some neoprene lens cases. I'm a little worried about the body itself, especially the screen on the back. Does anybody make a hard case or semi-hard case for the K-30 with or with a lens?

09-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
This is some great advice guys. I'll get some neoprene lens cases. I'm a little worried about the body itself, especially the screen on the back. Does anybody make a hard case or semi-hard case for the K-30 with or with a lens?
ACMAXX LCD Protector - Pantex K30

You can look up the impressions of other users here on the Forum. My only negatives so far is this cover sits so close to the LCD that changes in air pressure can cause it to sag in the middle and adhere to the LCD. This is very noticeable with the camera turned off, but fortunately is almost invisible when the LCD is lighted. You can sneak a fingernail under the edge to let some air in to temporarily equalize the pressure. My concern is that this shield will not provide a lot of impact protection due to the lack of 'crush' space. But 'not a lot' is still much better than none. And it will protect your LCD from all typical scratches and scrapes while being carried with other gear. I am not at all unhappy that I spent the money.
09-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Many people recommend the Pelican case route
I use Pelican 1510's because they are carry on plane size and they have wheels on.