Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

slow to respond/ eratic e-dial adjustment in manual mode

Since I purchased this camera used, I was unaware of the problem I seem to have. When I switch to manual mode and use the e-dial to adjust either shutter or aperture, there is erratic response. I seem to be able to reach, say 30 sec or bulb amount, but instead of shutter advancing in increments as I turn the wheel, I seem to have to turn the wheel a large amount to reach the target value and sometimes the value with go backwards a bit before proceeding forward (example: I'm at 1/50 and want to go to 30 sec..... as I advance the e-dial, sometimes I'll get to say 2 seconds, then back to 1, and then 3, etc before reaching 30... but it still takes many more turns than it should). Any idea as to how to remedy and is this a serious problem or something that should be considered minor?

On a more personal note, the seller says he was unaware of this problem and suggests I submit a claim to USPS for damage (it was insured), but I don't know if I should because, after all, it does seem minor. I want to keep the camera and if it's a simple fix, DIY, but on the other hand I think this should have been mentioned in the description. If USPS does partial refunds I guess and don't want to keep the camera.... or if this is a simple DIY fix, then I wouldn't even need the claim.

09-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Sounds like a typical edial like the DS is known for. Use some spray contact cleaner. Spray a little in the opening and work the dial. You may have to do a couple of times.
Every once in a while I have to do this to my DS.
09-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday we had a thread about the same problem with a K-7.

Most of the suggestions may also fit to your situation.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/235830-...ml#post2496627