Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

DA star 16-50 SDM

Has anyone bought this lens in the last year or two and not experienced SDM failure? Thanks.

09-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax/Ricoh has stated that the SDMproblems are taken care of since januari 2013.
09-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Pentax/Ricoh has stated that the SDMproblems are taken care of since januari 2013.
If I am not mistaken, Pentax/Ricoh never admitted that the problem with SDM even exist.

If I not mistaken again, it was some German engineer who said that since 2012 or 2013 the design was updated and there shouldn't be any more defective SDM's.
09-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by polur101 Quote
Has anyone bought this lens in the last year or two and not experienced SDM failure? Thanks.
People haven't been starting as many threads about AF issues lately, so I'd say it would be reasonable to assume that the reliability problems have been fixed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
If I am not mistaken, Pentax/Ricoh never admitted that the problem with SDM even exist.

If I not mistaken again, it was some German engineer who said that since 2012 or 2013 the design was updated and there shouldn't be any more defective SDM's.
You maybe right, I`m not sure who said it and I can`t find the source. I remember the guy said they changed something in the design/hardware and that the problems should be solved.
09-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Given the reduced number of used 16-50's for sale in the Marketplace over the past while, I would assume that this lens is becoming more of a "keeper", perhaps due to factors like the SDM issue apparently finally being resolved. (Of course, this happens now that I'm finally in the market for a used one after waffling on the issue for about 3 years! And whenever one does finally come up, it 'needs service' or is adapted to screw-drive or something lame. )

So things must definitely be getting more attractive for this lens, and now that the latest Lens Roadmap has removed the * designation from the mysterious ~16-80mm lens that first appeared on last year's Roadmap, that leaves the 16-50 as the only DA* in this zoom range, like it or not.
09-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You maybe right, I`m not sure who said it and I can`t find the source. I remember the guy said they changed something in the design/hardware and that the problems should be solved.
Here it is. Perhaps this should be a Sticky thread in the Lens Discussion forum since so many people refer to this source but can't seem to find it.
09-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Here it is. Perhaps this should be a Sticky thread in the Lens Discussion forum since so many people refer to this source but can't seem to find it.
Thank you

While not officially announced, it still is somewhat of a statement that seems to be true. Or maybe he found himself fired the next day, lol?

09-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Forum Member

16-50, still goin'

QuoteOriginally posted by polur101 Quote
I bought a used one, for fairly cheap, earlier this year. Put thousands of shots on it and no problems yet.
The guy seemed to want to get rid of it. Was happy to take it off his hands for the asking price.
It's been pretty constantly mounted to my k52s

Frontmost tube has a little bit of slop to it but it's not affected IQ that I can tell.
Can anyone else with this lens tell me how much you can wiggle the front of the lens when it's zoomed all the way to the long end?
On mine, from one extreme to the other it's about 0.75mm vertical and about 0.5mm horizontal.
09-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote
I bought a used one, for fairly cheap, earlier this year. Put thousands of shots on it and no problems yet.
The guy seemed to want to get rid of it. Was happy to take it off his hands for the asking price.
It's been pretty constantly mounted to my k52s

Frontmost tube has a little bit of slop to it but it's not affected IQ that I can tell.
Can anyone else with this lens tell me how much you can wiggle the front of the lens when it's zoomed all the way to the long end?
On mine, from one extreme to the other it's about 0.75mm vertical and about 0.5mm horizontal.
My early one had SDM failure just out of warranty so I have drilled holes in line with the motor so that I can unstick the SDM which seems to seize up if the lens is not used regularly. This has worked for at least three years. Apart from that the lens is a cracker.
09-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote

Same here, no problem.
09-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Same here, no problem.
About the same with mine, and I have not noticed any change since new.
The lens is working fine. I quess this is normal.
09-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
About the same with mine, and I have not noticed any change since new.
The lens is working fine. I quess this is normal.
Whew! I'm relieved.
I didn't notice the slop until I looked for it, which was after a couple fellows were (mis)handling my gear while reviewing images I'd recently shot. (zoom extended, hood attached, using it as a support for the oh-so-heavy camera)
I was not pleased to come back and find the lower petal of the hood makin' quite a dent in one guys thigh as he not only rested the weight of the camera on it but was supporting some of the weight of his arms on the whole thing too.
Note to self: take gear with me wherever I go, no matter how mature the crowd seems.
09-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My sample got caught behind the saddle of a bike when riding downhill. As I was going faster and faster I shifted my weight towards the rearwheel for better stability. My camera was hanging on a shoulderstrap and when I moved the back of the hood was caught on the underside of the saddle. I only noticed a snug at the time but when I got down and turned around to make a picture the barrel was offset to the point that it wouldn`t retract anymore. Grabbing the hood with one hand and the camera with the other I snapped the barrel back in place. Offcourse I was worried but after some serious testing I couldn`t find any defects and it still works like a charm.

I guess that lens can handle some serious abuse