Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My plans have been thwarted! Someone decided to buy my K20D, my daughter got a K-30 and I'm "stuck" with the K-5 until I can convince the wife I need a second camera. Oh well, I'm happy enough with the K-5 as things stand anyway and the GR will just have to wait a tiny little bit longer!

To compensate myself for the "loss" I have invested in the Mantona Pro Makro II tripod, two Haida filters (ND8 & ND64) to go with my ND1000 and a Pixl TW-282 timer remote control -> set up for loooong exposures ;-)

09-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Pentaxian

For quite some time, I sufficed with the K20D, and the K-01. The two cameras compensate for each other's weaknesses. At some point, though, I decided that the IQ and dynamic range of all the 16mp sensors made it difficult to reach for the K20D. I ended up with the K-30 on close out (with my first WR lens in the kit). As to whether or not the K20D is likely to fail soon, I think not. It is clearly more solidly built than anything I had seen previously (far more solid than the only pro body Pentax - the old LX).

I'd love to say that the K-30 is your best solution now (you certainly have the opportunity to "play" with one). I am impressed with the 18-55 WR for a kit lens - glad to have for difficult conditions. While there is little to fault with the K-30 in terms of IQ and features, I am yet to feel really comfortable with it. Oddly enough, the K-01 feels more comfortable even though the interface is quite similar. If you survey people between the K5 and K-30 who have experience with both, you tend to find a slight advantage to the K5. As I shoot a lot with manual lenses (and even AF lenses in MF), the focus peaking and better live view capabilities swung me to the K-30 by a fairly wide margin.

No doubt, though, the refinement and added features of the K5 in other areas make it a formidable choice. I don't have large hands for a male, but found the K20D about perfect in hand. I certainly understand why a lot of guys really miss the size of the K20D. We aren't likely to see that size again until FF.
09-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I loved the K20 and as long as you use it a ISO100, it takes great images. (or I should say as long as there is enough light... it is not a low-light camera for sure.)
09-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
I loved the K20 and as long as you use it a ISO100, it takes great images. (or I should say as long as there is enough light... it is not a low-light camera for sure.)
Sorry, change of plans again!

Got a good offer on the K20D so out it went and the proceeds went towards a K-30 for my daughter. So the K-5 stays for now although it remains up for sale in the meantime. If it does sell I'll "sidegrade" to the K-5 II - nobrainer really and than still have my beady eyes on the Ricoh GR as a travelcam.