Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #1

Help -- Flashing AV sign won't let me take a picture

When I turn the camera on, it only flashes an "AV - - " title on the top display and it does not let me go to the picture mode. I've set all the options to the green buttons (which is Auto, I believe) does anybody know the solution?

03-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Check your lens, have an older lens on or a new AF lens with an aperture ring. Older lens you need to set your menu to allow the use aperture ring. Secondly if youhave a lens with a manual aperture collar and it has an A position, set it on A and you will have your AV control back

PK
03-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Def check the lens, does it do the same thing if there is no lens on the body?
03-26-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It might not be related, but I had the same problem with PK-A lens (Ricoh mount) after I removed the "locking pin". I had to remove the mount and put it back again for the AV-- message to go away. So I am assuming that having dirty contacts or somehow defective lens can also cause the message to pop up.

But like the post above said, check your lens type first. If it does not have A setting, then you need to use it in manual mode.

03-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Some times the lens might not have clicked home fully .... either that or dirty contacts.
Also as the other have mentioned above with the aperture ring not set in the menu.
03-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #6

With the AV-- flashing, your camera is trying to tell you something: it cannot read the aperture. Remember, the Green mode means the camera is trying to do all the work ... but if it cannot read aperture off the lens, you need to do a little work. Try changing to M mode .. this should make a difference.

There's more info on this on pg 210 in the K10 manual, it talks about using the aperture ring w/ different lens types.
03-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

We are all guessing here. OP: Please post what lens do you have.

03-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
BPT
Veteran Member

I had the same problem on my k100d with an old lens I had to enable something to do with apertures in my set up menu, I think it had something to do with allowing the setting of aperture manually.
03-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by bobafett Quote
When I turn the camera on, it only flashes an "AV - - " title on the top display and it does not let me go to the picture mode. I've set all the options to the green buttons (which is Auto, I believe) does anybody know the solution?
I'm going to go a different way and ask if you have a memory card in the camera. If you don't, the camera will turn on for a second and flash, and then turn off. good luck!
03-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
I'm going to go a different way and ask if you have a memory card in the camera. If you don't, the camera will turn on for a second and flash, and then turn off. good luck!
I'm not sure what kind of camera Bobafett has, but on my K10 when I dont have a card in, the LCD says "no card in camera", but maybe it's different for the K100 ...
03-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This is so funny. (Sorry)
Need more info