Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

using old lenses with a K7

I'm hoping to figure out how to use my older 35mm K mount lenses with my new (to me) K7. When I turn the camera on it doesn't register the lens, but I thought they were compatible with some manual modifications?

09-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

09-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really do not understand why Pentax ships the camera bodies with a default of having the aperture ring turned off. Yes, its not needed for the current "modern" lenses, and yes the information is in the user's manual, but it generates these posts, and just creates some small amount of aggravation for new users.

Essentially enable thee aperture ring and leave it enabled, since it has no negative effect on the newer lenses, and thus the body is ready for mounting any M42, K, M, A and FA lens in the future. Just remember if you ever return the camera back to the factory default settings, then you need to enable it again.

Enjoy your older lenses.....

09-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I can only guess it is the default for old but not that old lenses (i.e. FA-series) where there is no good reason to take it off 'A' but nevertheless the ring may get turned, and then someone will be shooting on an automatic mode and the aperture won't be working correctly, etc etc. If it won't even fire, at least you have to stop and investigate.

09-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the K-7, press the Menu button, then the left arrow. That should put you on Custom page 6, and the setting is right there, 38. Using Aperture ring.

If your lens has an A setting on the aperture ring, move the aperture ring to that setting, and the camera will be a lot smarter, displaying an aperture instead of F--- and working in all modes.

The video doesn't mention SR. The camera will ask you for a focal length if you turn it off then back on, or turn SR off, then on.

You may want to develop some habits or checklists when you switch to an older lens, so it will be ready when you use it. I like to make sure SR is set first, because if it's way off, all your shots are ruined and you won't know until you see them on a big screen. Then set the mode to M and the focus mode to MF. I make sure the camera is not set on something stupid from the previous day's shooting, like the 2 second delay drive mode.

I usually choose the initial aperture I want too, or something that makes sense for my first shot. If it's daylight, I put it on f8. With a longer lens I sometimes set a shutter speed too, to 1/focal length. I pick a starting ISO. I can always change it later but these settings are close to my starting point.

When you switch back to an autofocus lens, use the same kind of checklist so the camera works with that lens too. Develop your own preferences about the checklist.