Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #1

Have I got a problem here?

Just got my Sigma 50-500 "Bigma." and it is!! Attached it to the k100D I got at Christmas. Followed all instructions in the manual for doing so. there is noticeable "play," about 1/16" on a rotational axis between lens and camera body. E.g., if body were a steering wheel, and lens the steering column, if I hold firm on either the body or the lens, I can displace the contact between the two about 1/16" or so.

Have I got a problem here?

thanks for any help you might give,

tony

01-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What you have is a non Pentax lens that has not been manufactured to the same quality standards as the camera body. You could probably send it back to Sigma and they may or may not be able to do anything to improve the fit. I sorta doubt they could do anything. However, in all likelyhood, you will be ok, but I would strongly recommend that you always support the lens and camera in such a way as to preclude any undue stress on the camera mount plate. Never ever mount the camera on a tripod, always mount the lens on the tripod. I also would not recommend carrying the camera with lens attached and hanging ftom the camera neck strap. You are asking for trouble!

Walt
01-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Walt,

thank you for your reply. Heavy as that damn thing, I eagerly await my monopod, and, yes, will mount the lens to it on Sigma's thoughtfully provided mount.

take care,

tony
01-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i'd at least call sigma. this is not right and is the first i've heard of it. the 1st.