Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It finally happened. I dropped the camera

Was at a wedding yesterday as hired photographer - the camera was on a table and the shoulder strap got entangled with some handles, causing the cam to slip out of my hand as I was raising it. It felt hard onto the granite floor from about 1m height

The camera is fine actually. It happened within the first hour of the day and I used it for 12 more with no problem. I've inspected it since and can't spot any damage, even superficial ones, from the fall.

The lens didn't do so well. There are 3 screws at the mount end and 2 of them aren't holding on to the larger part of the lens - but it's operational with AF and whatnot as long as I press the lens gently against the cam body. I tugged it back into my bag and used backups for the remainder of the day. The lens defo needs to be repaired. Glass is fine too (with no UV/protection filter on. Hood was on though as always). I took some shots and they look fine too except for some softning at one corner, which is most likely due to the now bent nature of the lens.

I hope the damage is limited to just that - it's a shame but I still feel lucky.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 09-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.
09-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
it's a shame but I still feel lucky.
Yeah, coulda been much worse.
09-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Yeah, coulda been much worse.
Exactly. You might not have had a backup!
09-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That's exactly the reason why I don't like neck strap, and why I build my strap holder. I was ready to drop my camera 3 times in just a week, with a 70-200/2.8 on it - heavy lens - because the neck strap has entangled.

My solution is here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/accessory-memory-articles/236173-neck-str...ml#post2500885

In this way, my neck strap is allways on my neck, with or without camera, and on camera I have only my hand strap, which prevents the falling from my hand.

09-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
panoguy: Yeah, that would have been hell. Fortunately I have backups for everything and it can't be expressed enough how important it is to be prepared for bad scenarios.

JimmyDranox: I've considered a second shoulderstrap for some time but have been putting it off - I suppose this incident will speed things up
09-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you put a small lens on the camera, I think a shoulder strap is good. If is a longer, and heavier, maybe not.
09-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm curious as to what was the lens that fell with the camera?
09-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The combo of 70-200mm using shoulderstrap has always been and felt great. When that body isn't used, the cam is simply lowered and moved a towards my back, and it's feels nice. the greatest drawback is when I'm down on my knees or something like that, and not using this body. It will hit the ground if i'm not careful, but so far I've always been careful about that.

The neck strap however is tiring when used with Sigma 17-50mm and it also tends to mess clothing which can become very annoying/stressing after some hours.

Sometimes I have it on the shoulder which feels better, but now I'm constantly worrying whether the strap might slide off the shoulder. An alternative is to use it as a proper shoulder strap, but the neck strap is too short to be comfortable. It's be best solution but can be slower to "get to" the cam at times. This is why I'm thinking a shoulder strap might be the solution.

tzrenz0: I had Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 mounted on it.

09-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I once dropped my 645d and just about had a heart attack, but nothing broke, including the lens, although I had a 67 fish eye with adapter on it . . .
09-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I fear even to imagine this.
09-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Such a nightmarish thought. Anyway hope it gets fixed.
09-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It COULD be a lot worse...

09-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

An alternative is to use it as a proper shoulder strap, but the neck strap is too short to be comfortable. It's be best solution but can be slower to "get to" the cam at times. This is why I'm thinking a shoulder strap might be the solution.
Have you tried a photo harness or vest, like the Vanguard ICS system or the LowePro S&F technical harness? Could be worth exploring.
09-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fontan, woar I'd get a heart attack if I had a 645d and it fell Glad to hear nothing happened to it and the lens.

Manacho2005: That's sad. I feel for you

rawr: I haven't but thanks for the hints - I'll have a closer look but I do worry it will be too much of a attention grabber.

I actually have a Capture Camera Clip but rarely use it for weddings, mainly because it (the camera) gets in the way of my blazer jacket. I prefer to look somewhat anonymous and decent at weddings - buuut, I might reconsider using it from now on.
09-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I do worry it will be too much of a attention grabber
True. It can make you look like a suicide bomber, especially if you wear a full technical vest plus all the attachments. To make it appear less conspicuous, perhaps wear any harness or vest over a black or dark blue shirt, which may help it blend in with what you are wearing.