Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Can I use these lenses with a K-5 camera?

Hi all,

I hope you can help with this ... I have some Pentax SMC lenses that I would like to use with a K-5 camera, however, I'm not quite sure if it is possible nor if there will be some limitations in the use (besides manual focus).

The lenses I have are these:

Pentax M zoom 80-200 mm: SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5 Reviews - M Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax 24 mm 1:2.8: SMC Pentax 24mm F2.8 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC/S-M-C/Super-/Auto-/Takumar 55mm F1.8 w. M42 screwmount: SMC/S-M-C/Super-/Auto-/Takumar 55mm F1.8 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Might one of you know if I can use (some of) these lenses with a K-5 and also if there will be some limitations in practical use?

Thanks for reading & maybe replying

Jesper

09-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All of them will be usable.

The first two can be mounted directly, while your M42 Tak will need an adapter M42 to K-mount adapter.

Limitations? All of them requires manual focusing and exposure metering. Try to learn both and pretty soon, only your imagination will limit you
09-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi drypenn,

& thanks for your quick & helpful reply! I wonder though what this means in practice:

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
exposure metering
Does it mean that I have to manually adjust a scale of some kind to make the shutter speed fit with the light available or can this be done automatically? What I would be fine with doing manually is adjusting the focus and aperture values but I would prefer the shutter speed to be automatic. Do you know if this is possible?

Greetings,

Jesper

09-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ooups - looks like "Not a Number" answered my question while I was writing my last post. So it looks as if it will be possible to have the camera do the shutter speed calculation - great!

Thank you both for replying ;-)

Jesper
09-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by evalon Quote
Does it mean that I have to manually adjust a scale of some kind to make the shutter speed fit with the light available or can this be done automatically? What I would be fine with doing manually is adjusting the focus and aperture values but I would prefer the shutter speed to be automatic. Do you know if this is possible?
You will have to use the green button to stop down meter. For all K and M lenses you should shoot in Manual mode, press the green button so the camera will give you a shutter speed (pairing with your manually selected f-stop), then release shutter.

Your M42 lens can be used in Av mode when you switch the aperture to manual.

Check the links given by Not a Number above.