Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking...

Hopefully TIMEX won't sue me for the thread title.

A week and a half ago I was exploring Jasper and Banff National Parks. I set up my K20D and Tamron 28-200 Super Zoom on its tripod over looking Bridal Veil Falls about a kilometer away - and then they tumbled down a very steep hillside of scree. I thought for sure the camera is dead or the lens mount broke - I won't be able to shoot anything now - wasn't even sure I could get to the bottom of the hillside to gather the SD card.

When I got to the bottom I discovered that nothing had broken, the lens cap had stayed on, the body of the camera, lens and tripod were scratched but not the glass. Everything was still working! The subsequent scrable down the hill also revealed another waterfall just a short distance from the parking lot.

Attached are two shots of the falls after the camera's fall...

I know the K20D is a tank but I never expected to see the Tamron survive.

Attached Images

09-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you have that sick helpless feeling as you watched it go over in slow motion? This always happens to me only I usually break something. Sometimes myself included! If This was me I would have had to head back to the car for a change of clothes first. Cool Photo!!
Joel
09-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How tough our kit is is something we don't know until it happens.
Apart from rain, Ihaven't found out how tough my gear is. Dropped my Manfrotto tripod a couple of time though and it's been fine.
09-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
glad it worked out okay i hate how time slows down and you can't do anything but watch in these situations.

also, nice pics. I was in that area this summer and it's absolutely beautiful.

09-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

One also tends to hear every bang and crash as the gear tumbles in exquisitely slow motion!