Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lending Pentax a helping hand

I was thinking that Pentax's lens lineup was smaller than the big 2 and the lack of new FF lenses and the need to also develop new 645D lenses must put strain on their small engineering dept, and I happen to think it's a pity they don't have a SETI like program that runs like a screensaver and does light-ray tracing calculations through complex lens designs. Is this not a good idea? I'm sure it would get plenty of support from a forum like this one alone and it might help them push along lens development!

Was just a passing stroke of brilliance (in my eyes anway ) and was looking for peoples feedback.

09-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting idea, but I don't think it's necessary. The volume of calculations isn't nearly what it is for something like protein folding, and the volume of data is tiny compared to what they're doing with SETI@home
09-12-2013, 07:27 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Inactive Account

The best way to help Pentax - create wonderful images with it
09-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
The best way to help Pentax - create wonderful images with it
Ummm....spend money on it?

09-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
A good series of images/video can attract more people as well as raising awareness and the image of the brand
09-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Even better yet, get other people to spend money on it too. :-)
09-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SoftwareArtifex Quote
Interesting idea, but I don't think it's necessary. The volume of calculations isn't nearly what it is for something like protein folding, and the volume of data is tiny compared to what they're doing with SETI@home
Perhaps but it still would require large amounts of computing. I remember reading something along the lines that a single thin lens has up to 8 parameters that can be varied and the number of possible variations for a complex thick style photographic lens goes up exponentially for the number of elements it contains. All this considered it must take them a while to calculate all the numerous properties of a lens.

As for spending money, I'd love to however the missus may not appreciate it quite so much! aha
09-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's little enough calculation that it could be done practically but tediously by hand before computers were available. It takes more computing horsepower to render a single frame of a video game than to raytrace a lens design.

There's even free software available that you can download if you want to give it a try yourself. :-)

09-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried it, I couldn't wrap my head around it lol. Have you much experience with this sort of stuff?
09-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I tried it, I couldn't wrap my head around it lol. Have you much experience with this sort of stuff?
Not me, but I worked at companies that hired contractors to do the occasional custom lens design. That was all the mechanical department's problem, though. I was part of the group that worked on image processing algorithms.
09-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As digitalpro said about the his visit to the Zies factory, there are so many permutations that you'll never hit on a top notch lens design by chance using lens design software. Without the input of a knowledgeable lens designer, you'll get a lens that works for a specific one spectrum application, but a top quality optical design capable of managing the whole visible light spectrum... not going to happen, or everybody would have top notch lenses.
09-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I was thinking that Pentax's lens lineup was smaller than the big 2 and the lack of new FF lenses and the need to also develop new 645D lenses must put strain on their small engineering dept, and I happen to think it's a pity they don't have a SETI like program that runs like a screensaver and does light-ray tracing calculations through complex lens designs. Is this not a good idea? I'm sure it would get plenty of support from a forum like this one alone and it might help them push along lens development!

Was just a passing stroke of brilliance (in my eyes anway ) and was looking for peoples feedback.
Considering I shared a transatlantic flight with some one doing that 20 years ago on a lens design, I am quite certain they all know how to do it

After all the vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5(first version) was completely computer designed and that was about 1979

Do you really believe pentax doesn't do this already?
09-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No not that they don't do it, just thinking it takes time and money is all. =)
09-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't think Pentax is suffering from a lack of lens designs. I don't think they currently have the manufacturing capability. We go through periods every year where popular lenses are back ordered.