Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
is my prize in the mail?

I might have an unfair advantage as I've done a lot of direct comparisons between my Leica LDux3 (Panasonic LX2) and K10d (brief ownership) and K20d (current ownership). But I confess that the CA on the lens of the DSLR gave away the identity of which were from the same camera. After that is was the mottling that is characteristic of the way that noise reduction usually deals with the small pixels on a small sensor camera. I actually like the look of a small sensor shot *if* you shoot raw and don't rely on the camera's onboard NR. Depending on the camera, you can get wonderful "grain" from the noise at higher ISO.
I agree - and I prefer the noisier RAWs from my GX100 for that reason. They can also take a LOT of post processing. However for a pocket camera, the A30 puts in a very decent performance compared to some far more expensive compacts.

You prize is the glow of satisfaction from being 100% correct

03-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
BCFG are from the K10D

Whats surprising about the K10D is the amount of colour moire in some of the smaller areas of fine detail
Ooh, I lost! The colour moire must have beaten me...
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I missed the 3rd. Now I see the light has changed somewhat, shot F appears to have less contrast and less detail in the window shadows, but it looks like there was no direct sunlight as in E. I wouldn't believe it if you showed me that image and told me it was from the K10D, it's almost "soft focus". But you can see better color rendering in the parking sign.
03-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Pretty much the same experience I've had with my P&S.

At first glance the photos are just as good, you only see the differences if you look closely at details either in shadow or highlight areas. That's where the dSLR wins on Image Quality.

03-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess I should have gone with my original hunch, and not changed F for E.

The C and G that I felt sure about, was because :
In the C, there is more detail in the wall behind the car. And the red colour of the car doesn’t look right in shot D, my K10 would not make it look like that.
Likewise G vs. H, the tiles are obliterated in the H shot. This would not be acceptable with the K10.

Looking at it here afterwards, at shot B, to each side of the black bar (above the letters Brewery Tap), there is some miss-colouring. Don’t know if you call it purple fringing or sensor blooming. This is a typical tendency of the K10 sensor. Though not something I noticed to begin with. (I think it was the detail behind the glass that looked better in the B shot, which made me choose that).