Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What if?

Sorry, but i didn't know where to write this.

I have read, and probably everyone did, about flexible screens. What if a manufacturer would be able to make a camera sensor, deformable, under control, in two dimensions. I think that would make the lenses to be simpler and more efficient, and obtained resolutions would exceed what we have now, with less expense.

Did you think that can be made? What is you opinion about this?

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 09-12-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Complet the message.
09-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would make sense, as the Minox ("spy") cameras in the beginning bent the film, to be able to use a less sophisticated lens design. With late models, they skipped it.

But with sensors, production cost would explode, as it would mean each of them would have to be manufactured as a seperate item. Presently, they are cut out of big wavers, which can't be produced as a cylinder section.

EDIT:
Maybe some day they can produce flexible sensors with the needed precision. For displays, tolerances for the position of the pixels can be much bigger. And what makes it much more complicated: a sensor will get a bayr layer, probably with lenses exactly on front of each pixel, which may even be angled and shifted in border areas of the sensor.

EDIT 2:
And don't forget: a camera which such a sensor could not use any existing lens, and even not any existing lens design!

Last edited by RKKS08; 09-12-2013 at 05:29 PM.
09-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of course, is not simple. For now.

About the bayer layer of pixel, and the microlenses that are covering them. Already there are flexible lenses in study, in some fields. I even saw eyeglasses with flexible lenses.

Today lenses are more complicated by the need to create a flat field image on the sensor. And even so, many of actual lenses suffer of some degrees of field curvature, as some test reveal. In astronomy, special flat field convertors are used for photographic purpose. But none of them are 100% eficient.

And I am not thinking to a curved sensor, but to a flexible sensor, to be bent after the production is made, inside the camera, by some magnetic device. This would not require a high degree of curvature, to compensate for different types of lenses. And if is needed, to take a flat form, for actual lenses.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 09-12-2013 at 06:02 PM.
09-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It will work - obviously our eyes already use this system.
But:
Hold a book in front of you so you can read the text clearly, then slowly move it around to (say) your left side maintaining the same distance from your eyes. If you don't rotate your head, the text quickly becomes a horrible smudge!
When you try this, it's a real shock how bad our eyes are compared with camera lenses for edge to edge sharpness.
I think a zoom lens for a curved sensor would be difficult to design also???

09-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it seems that i have delayed, a lot. Nikon and Sony was thinking at this years ago

New lenses, curved image sensor patents from Sigma, Canon and Sony | Photo Rumors