Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CRIS Repair Experience

OK, so back in July, I noticed the flash on my K-r wasn't working and I was fed up with the persistent e-dial issues, so I sent it to CRIS for diagnosis and repair. Since I was also having some focus accuracy issues with my DA 35/2.4, I sent that in as well. I packaged everything very carefully, including the factory body cap on the K-r and the OEM front and rear caps on the lens.

As it turns out, they needed to replace the whole top cover assembly to fix the flash and they replaced the e-dial, then did a CLA on the camera and checked/adjusted the lens to factory specs. The top cover was back-ordered from late July until early last ween (end of August), so I just got it back today.

When I dug through the peanuts to find the camera, I was a bit irked. Both the body and lens were well-wrapped in plastic bags secured with rubber bands. However, the body cap was missing, replaced by a label. Also the rear cap was missing from the lens. Now, I have other body caps and rear caps, and I'm not mourning the loss of the cheap OEM press-on cap, but I'm still quite annoyed that some of the parts I had sent were not returned. I'm sure if I submitted a complaint, they'd probably send me replacements, but if I don't really need them, should I even bother? In my conversations with them before sending it in, they never told me not to include those protective pieces, and I suspect if I hadn't, they'd have attributed some of the issues to damage caused by shipping it without them.

So, if this (or something like it) has happened to you, how did you deal with it? If not, how would you handle it?

09-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Check your original estimate from CRIS, they normally list any accessories sent in with the item to be repaired. If you see them listed, I would just drop them a message saying that you never got them back. It's possible that your exact caps may be lost by now, but like you say, they're not exactly priceless relics, I'm sure they'll send you new ones.
09-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

They sent me back my K10D with one of THEIR batteries in it, so sometimes you get free stuff...

(Actually I sent it back later when I sent them another body for repair.)
09-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Check your original estimate from CRIS, they normally list any accessories sent in with the item to be repaired. If you see them listed, I would just drop them a message saying that you never got them back. It's possible that your exact caps may be lost by now, but like you say, they're not exactly priceless relics, I'm sure they'll send you new ones.
Good thinking! I just checked it and apparently they don't list either the body cap or the rear lens cap in the "Accessories" field. I suppose it's possible I'm mis-remembering things and I sent them the camera with the lens mounted. I guess I should have documented that step more carefully. I'm glad I found out before calling/complaining to them.

11-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-5 (one long mirror up while in burst with resulting black frame, then battery depleted message and symbol. Removed and replaced battery, operated normally until shutter press - then dead battery message/symbol on shutter press) .

CRIS est:
Replace reflex mirror motor
Update firmware
Adjust to mfgr specs
General check and clean
Includes 90 day warranty

$256 + 18 S&H = $274. (approved on 11/22, received on....12/23)

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-23-2013 at 07:59 PM.
11-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

DA 15 Ltd (blurry left side)

CRIS:
Replace focus guide rollers
Calibrate optimal resolution focal point
General check and clean
Includes 6 mo warranty

$172 + $18 S&H = $190 (approved on 11/22, received on 12/26).

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-26-2013 at 08:36 PM.
11-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience with a Da^60-250 under warranty was very positive. There was a month delay caused by Pentax not getting the parts to them. However, when I sent an email they replied immediately explaining the parts problem and giving me the Pentax number. I called and spoke to a very helpful woman who said the parts had just arrived and that they would make sure to get the parts to CRIS quickly. Less than a week later I picked up my lens from the CRIS shop. It works perfectly now. Both CRIS and Pentax were open and honest about the difficulties.
11-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #8

For the record- My experience with B&H, Pentax US & CRIS under warranty was a very positive (mind you time was not a factor).

I was new to both DSLRs and Pentax. I purchased a K-5, FA 43mm, DA* 50-135mm and Sigma DC 17-50mm EX. Unfortunately the 50-135mm that I had purchased from B&H could not be accurately focused with the AF fine adjustment range provided by my camera body and in actual use it could not obtain focus at infinity. So I returned the 50-135 to B&H for an exchange. The exchanged (2nd) lens suffered similarly. Rather than exchanging a second time (3rd lens) I then decided not to make B&H (a excellent retailer) suffer for Pentax's mistakes to not perform adequate calibration of their products at the end of the production line.

Therefore, I contacted Pentax US customer service in Colorado and was equally happy with the consultations I received from them. Consequently, I sent my new K-5 body, DA* 50-135mm & FA 43mm in for adjustment at CRIS. They first set the K-5 body to be nominal (AF fine adjustment '0') when accurately focusing with an OE master lens. Then they mechanically adjusted both of my lenses for optimum focus at AF fine adjustment '0' using my newly calibrated body and their lens target set-up. Unfortunately shortly after receiving the return equipment, I found that the DA* 50-135mm was unable to complete focus confirmation using live view and the lens had to be returned to CRIS for service. They ended up performing an SDM replacement on it.

The price to me was ~ 4 weeks with out the K-5 & FA 43, and ~ 10 weeks without the DA* 50-135 (including shipping: CRIS 4 + 4, + 2 B&H exchange). However, the results have been nothing short of fabulous. When I received the equipment from CRIS, I verified my consensus that the AF fine tune was optimized and I performed AF fine adjustment for the Sigma lens. Since then (knock on wood) the AF performance of my equipment has been amazingly accurate and consistent. I seldom have to reinitiate focus. And I have lost very few images to a lack of focus or mis-focus (e.g. 3 out of 36 at a children's birthday party). In this regard, my opinion is that CRIS did a top notch job.

12-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Sort of a non-repair report.

I sent my Sigma 150-500 in because from time-to-time it would have a high percentage of over-exposed shots of at least a couple stops.

A) CRIS could find nothing wrong with the lens, testing it on "several Pentax bodies we have here", and

B) They thought the lens problem was likely due to the bad mirror box motor on my now-dead K-5. This made some sense, except I did not have the problem with any other lenses.

I asked them to just send it back rather than waiting weeks on the K-5 repair (see a couple posts up) to test it on that body....

I got it back, shiny clean, today with these notes:

No problem found. Could not duplicate complaint.
Problem was caused by customer's Pentax K5-D
External clean and check only, no warranty applies
Cleaned and checked to manufacturer's specifications

Labor $25, shipping $18.
12-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
K-5 (one long mirror up while in burst with resulting black frame, then battery depleted message and symbol. Removed and replaced battery, operated normally until shutter press - then dead battery message/symbol on shutter press) .

CRIS est:
Replace reflex mirror motor
Update firmware
Adjust to mfgr specs
General check and clean
Includes 90 day warranty

$256 + 18 S&H = $274. (approved on 11/22, received back 12/23)
Got it back today. Never got emails that it was completed or shipped, or tracking info. Will try it out tomorrow. CRIS thinks this problem caused the recurring over-exposure with my Sigma 150-500 which they said had "no problem found" when tested on their other bodies. Sounds possible I guess, but it is the only lens that had that issue.

Just unpacked it. They put a peel-and-stick body cap on it. Nice.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-23-2013 at 10:24 PM.
12-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
DA 15 Ltd (blurry left side)

CRIS:
Replace focus guide rollers
Calibrate optimal resolution focal point
General check and clean
Includes 6 mo warranty

$172 + $18 S&H = $190 (approved on 11/22, received on 12/26).
That's $25 for the part, $147 labor, $18 shipping. No shipping notification. Have not tried it out yet.
01-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Are you supposed to ship the camera with a battery and charger? About to send mine in for cleaning.
01-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtistasty2 Quote
Are you supposed to ship the camera with a battery and charger? About to send mine in for cleaning.
No need to send battery/charger.
02-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I got mine back from them a few days ago from warranty service and can report a very positive experience, they checked it out, identified the problem, repaired it, and returned it quicker than I expected and so I can definitely recommend them.