Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stupid error, RAW saves the day.

Returned from a trip to Europe a few weeks ago, and have been processing my 1,000 or so photos. Was dismayed to discover that the course of fiddling with trying to select the AF point, I had accidentally set the contrast all the way high. (I think this is the weakest part of the K5 design - there is no way that I can tell to know which mode you are in, AF selecting or using the functions.) They looked great on the LCD, to tell the truth, but max contrast doesn't usually work on the computer monitor. Luckily I shot RAW + JPEG, so have able to fix them, but it is a slog. I have had the problem with accidentally mis-setting WB, or drive mode, but those I picked up on quickly.

Anyone else had this sort of problem?

09-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Nick, I have no idea about such things but can one set up a workflow job in PSE or LR that will apply the same correction to all images? If so, back them up first then attempt it.
09-14-2013, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is an indication in the OVF when you can select AF-points. And you also can see it on the back LCD.
Attached Images

09-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Returned from a trip to Europe a few weeks ago, and have been processing my 1,000 or so photos. Was dismayed to discover that the course of fiddling with trying to select the AF point, I had accidentally set the contrast all the way high. (I think this is the weakest part of the K5 design - there is no way that I can tell to know which mode you are in, AF selecting or using the functions.) They looked great on the LCD, to tell the truth, but max contrast doesn't usually work on the computer monitor. Luckily I shot RAW + JPEG, so have able to fix them, but it is a slog. I have had the problem with accidentally mis-setting WB, or drive mode, but those I picked up on quickly.

Anyone else had this sort of problem?
I am not sure what you did wrong.

Contrast is accessed through the modes on the LCD info screen as I recall, and AF points is a small wheel above the 4way controller.

So unless you somehow thought you were moving the AF point with the controller and were moving contrast slider in stead, I can't see how you would do it. I have never had an issue with that

09-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
There is an indication in the OVF when you can select AF-points. And you also can see it on the back LCD.
Thanks, thanks, thanks! I have had my K5 for a couple of years now and I never noticed that little indicator in the viewfinder. That will be extremely helpful! (When in doubt, read the manual, I guess.) I have my rear LCD turned off, except to chimp/playback, but the problem is when I have the camera at my eye. I mash on the 4 way controller, trying to get a new AF point and meanwhile I have accidentally accessed one of those 4 menus and set god knows what. Double pushing OK gets me back to center point, selecting AF points, but doesn't reset whatever change I have made. In this case, going into Custom Image and jacking up the contrast. Ah well!

I considered trying to do a batch adjust, but some of them look better with a lot of contrast. So, on with the slog.
09-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

"I considered trying to do a batch adjust, but some of them look better with a lot of contrast. So, on with the slog."

If you are using light room just multiple select all the images (in Library) you want to reduce the contrast on then go to develop and adjust the contrast on the one it displays. All the selected photos will get the same contrast adjustment applied. Check that the 'Autosync' button at the bottom of the develop panel is switched on - it is by default but you may have switched it off at some point.

If you do it this way you do not need to back up as the contrast adjustment doesn't actually change the raw file but only how it is displayed and exported. Even that can easily be reset to the way it came out of the camera by clicking the 'Reset' button at the bottom right of the develop panel.
09-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
That's true and it helps somewhat. However I agree with the OP that AF point selection is the weakest area of the K-5.

Regards,
--Anders.