Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5ii video difficulties

Hi, I've tried using my K-5ii for video and have found it lacking in a couple of areas and I was wondering if anyone has a solution.

1. No viewfinder - I found it almost impossible to track moving objects when zoomed in. I really need a viewfinder to do this. There is one for Q cameras but not the K-5. Can it be used on the K5? Any other solution?

2. Contrast focusing - this is another annoyance that causes me to lose tracking of a moving object. The stupid thing does a digital zoom and the object can be lost when this happens - regardless if I'm videoing at that point or not. I'm thinking of using the focus point method but then it flips the mirror - I don't know why because the mirror is already up - and again I lose track of the object. Any solutions to this problem?

09-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Forum Member

It can only do contrast focusing, and on the pentax is not very good. Well, it's not very good on any camera with moving objects, unless they are people.

You won't be able to use the viewfinder on Live view (video mode). It's physically impossible. Only with electronic viewfinder would be possible, and that's only with mirrorless cameras like pentax q or the sony NEX. With a reflex, viewfinder is disabled.
09-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
1. No viewfinder - I found it almost impossible to track moving objects when zoomed in. I really need a viewfinder to do this. There is one for Q cameras but not the K-5. Can it be used on the K5? Any other solution?
Using the LCD is pretty standard for video. The Q's VF probably won't be the best for the K-5, as it has a different aspect ratio.

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
2. Contrast focusing - this is another annoyance that causes me to lose tracking of a moving object. The stupid thing does a digital zoom and the object can be lost when this happens - regardless if I'm videoing at that point or not. I'm thinking of using the focus point method but then it flips the mirror - I don't know why because the mirror is already up - and again I lose track of the object. Any solutions to this problem?
Video AF still isn't that great on any DSLR (though Canon seems to be doing best as far as HDSLRs go), and the K-5's implementation is really quite basic. If you're serious about shooting video, I would recommend looking at a camcorder that's built for the job Another technique might be to shoot with a wider lens then crop your video as needed so you always have your subject in the frame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for suggestions guys. The viewfinder I mentioned is actually an optical accessory that mounts to the hot-shoe. Its just the kind of thing I need but its over $200 - and not spec'd for the K-5ii. I don't really want to invest in special purpose video equipment but yeah, I can see that I'm just going to continue to be disappointed unless I do. :-( Maybe the K-5iii