Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Which Lens/Settings To Use For An Upcoming Auto Show

Hey Everyone,

I'll be going to the Dallas show next month and I only want to take one lens with my k100d, either the 18-55 mm Pentax lens that came with the camera or my newly acquired Sigma 70-300mm zoom, I have no idea what kind of light source the convention center will have. Since I'm very new to the k100d and heard about the poor tungsten quality in it's W/B setting, Is this the fault of the standard lens or the camera? What settings and/or lens would you recommend for this visit.

Thanks in advance
Barry

03-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey Everyone,

I'll be going to the Dallas show next month and I only want to take one lens with my k100d, either the 18-55 mm Pentax lens that came with the camera or my newly acquired Sigma 70-300mm zoom, I have no idea what kind of light source the convention center will have. Since I'm very new to the k100d and heard about the poor tungsten quality in it's W/B setting, Is this the fault of the standard lens or the camera? What settings and/or lens would you recommend for this visit.

Thanks in advance
Barry
Take the kit lens. I have both of those lenses and that sigma will be really tough to use indoors. Your going to want to use the wider lens. Plus its faster. As for white balance, don't worry about the lens, take a couple test shots using difference W/B settings and use the one that looks the best. Or you can shoot RAW and not worry about it....
03-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Kit lens would be better with its wide range starting at 18mm. I doubt you need anything longer than 50mm at the autoshow unless you want to take makro pictures of individual parts. An external flash would be recommended as the built-in flash is not that powerful.
03-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Car shows you will need as wide as possible. If it is indoors you may have issues with lighting (or lack of).

03-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Car shows you will need as wide as possible. If it is indoors you may have issues with lighting (or lack of).
I'm content with shooting at ISO 800 if the quality is better than my old Fuji s8000fd which was lousy at that setting, how is the auto W/B setting with mixed lighting? Thanks everyone for your advice.

Barry
03-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm content with shooting at ISO 800 if the quality is better than my old Fuji s8000fd which was lousy at that setting, how is the auto W/B setting with mixed lighting? Thanks everyone for your advice.

Barry
If you shoot RAW, you can correct the lighting balances in post processing. At something like a car show (or any indoor display type function), I would think this would be the only way to go.

If you attempt to use the in camera white balance fine tuner, you would be spending all your time tuning the white balance. The mixed lighting means that each car, and probably each side of each car, will have a different lighting mix, which would require you to set the balance for each shot. You could conceivably have a mix of tungsten, halogen, fluorescent (and different fluorescents), mercury arc and the Lord only knows what all else, not excepting coloured gels!

In post processing, you can look at an image and make the white to be white. A lot more work, yes, but the only way to get acceptable colours.
03-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Barry. Consider a circular polarizer to cut down on undesired glare but be aware of possible vignetting at the 18mm end. Ken.

03-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Forum Member

Kit lens. Some areas might be brighter than others, but you will most likely being using alot of flash.

Maybe Ill see you there haha.
03-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just went to the show in NYC last weekend. Don't bother with the 70-300mm ; just take the 18-55mm. If the show is frequented by the mass of people anywhere near the number of people @ the NYC show, you'll often be at the widest range of the zoom.

I took the Pentax 12-24mm f/4 and Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 with me. The 12-24mm was on the camera 95% of the time if not more. Other than some 'artistic' shots taken with a wide aperture (see my post in the POTW #3) playing with in and out of focus areas, carrying the long lens was a total waste.
03-31-2008, 12:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Barry
About W/B setting. If you're shooting jpegs, take a white piece of paper and set the W/B at the place of shooting. That's the best way to do it. Of course if you are shooting without the flash.
03-31-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A fast wide zoom or prime. Since your kit is wider, go for that one.
03-31-2008, 07:19 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone!!!

I'll just take the basic 18-55 lens and experiment with the W/B, BTW..how good is the Auto W/B on the k100d?

Barry
03-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #13

I'll just take the basic 18-55 lens and experiment with the W/B, BTW..how good is the Auto W/B on the k100d?

Barry
from my experiance, I did not have to experiment with the white balance at the car show I went to this winter. The camera will give the W/B pretty well on the show floor. If you see anything major on your LCD while your shooting, adjust accordingly, but you should be fine!

the bold font does not help at all. (in my opinion)