Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
sd card size

Hi
Ihave a k100d camera and looking through the manual there is no indication of the max size of an sd card. I am going on an alaska cruse and would like to get an 16gb card will this large card work.
thanks Jim

03-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I thought I read somewhere that you could only use 8GB cards, but I could be way off?! Make sure you have the latest version of firmware loaded or you won't be able to use any HCSD at all.
03-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

IF its sdhc compatible, it should be fine..I see firmware v 1.02 has better sdhc support....

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates
03-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by greenhorne Quote
Hi
Ihave a k100d camera and looking through the manual there is no indication of the max size of an sd card. I am going on an alaska cruse and would like to get an 16gb card will this large card work.
thanks Jim
The SanDisk 16GB & 32GB SDHC ULTRA II Cards will work just fine on the K100D, if you have the 1.02 firmware update.

Alex

03-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Those cads are nice, but I would prefer to have 4 or 5 smaller cards just in case one goes wrong. I don't like the fact that all the eggs would be in the same basket.
03-27-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Cards are cheap. I just got two 2GB cards for my istDL for total of $20 shipped. I was thinking of getting one SD card with bigger capacity but later decided not to. One of my older 1GB cards just split apart and it is useless now. So you might want to follow flyer's advice and get two or more cards.
03-27-2008, 05:13 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Those cads are nice, but I would prefer to have 4 or 5 smaller cards just in case one goes wrong. I don't like the fact that all the eggs would be in the same basket.
I have to agree with flyer, I would and do have many 4bg and 8gb cards plus quite a few 2gb cards. I never put all my eggs in one basket.
Yes the 16 and 32gb cards are great for holding many pictures and they will work with your K100D if your firmware is up to date. But ask your self what will happen if the card goes bad or you lose it. There goes every shot you had. Some times bigger is better but in this case I would want quantity not a higher picture count.

03-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

I just did a quick price check on 32GB cards - range from 349 - 699 USD. Costs almost as much as a decent intro kit.

As for carrying around multiple cards - it depends on your work flow. If you have the capability of offloading images on a regular basis, why not carry one card (that never leaves the camera) rather than two or three cards? Each time you change the card you increase the possibility of loss, I know - I have gone couch diving a few times and I am very happy that I caught that one card I dropped when I was on the dock. The card was full so I had to change it - I dropped it and caught it as it was heading to a gap on the boardwalk. It was a 1GB card too. Just learn to buy reliable stuff.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
03-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a pair of 2gb cards I use in my p&s, and a 16gig for the K20d. At 23mb per raw image, 8gig is the smallest card I'd consider in that camera. I transfer to computer as soon as I'm home or at my laptop so they never stay on the card from session to session.

Plus I don't buy cheapo off brands or slow ones. Fast cards from Hoodman, Sandisk, etc. 150X is a good thing.
03-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
Forum Member

I decided to go the 2x 2GB card route as well. I picked up two SanDisk 2 GB Extreme III SD cards at Amazon for $25 each.
03-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another thing to consider when buying SD cards larger than 2GB is to make sure that your card reader is capable of reading the FAT32 file system. Older card readers are unable to read cards larger than 2GB. Some manufacturers of SDHC cards supply a compatible card reader with their SDHC cards to insure that you can read it, such as Sandisk with its 4GB and larger SDHC cards.

For example, the above combo is available at Amazon.com for $34.99 USD with free SuperSaver shipping.

Alex
03-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
greenhorne

Hi

Thanks for all the information. I need to up the firmware to 1.02 but i didn't know about the card readers needed for the hcsd cards. I download every night to my computer so all I would loose is that days pictures.

Jim
03-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

you do also need an sdhc compatible card reader. if you plug it in a regular one (as i have for giggles) it will crash explorer....

the 8 gb san disk i got came w/ one...

and as a rebuttle to the multple cards....

does suck having one in a basket...would also suck if you happen to mis-place one of those eggs if you had multiple eggs.....

(i'm neither...)
03-28-2008, 03:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greenhorne Quote
Hi
thanks Jim
Jim, When and on what line are you doing your Alaska cruise? My wife and I will be on the Inside Passage cruise on the Star Princess on 4-11 May.
03-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Jim, When and on what line are you doing your Alaska cruise? My wife and I will be on the Inside Passage cruise on the Star Princess on 4-11 May.
That's a terrific cruise. It might be too early for the whales, but I would take the longest lens you own if I were you. I used my 400 from the back deck on our anniversary cruise to get a humpback mostly out of the water. It was pouring rain at the time (a hazard of being on the Wet [sic] coast of Canada/Alaska. The image is rain blurry, but IT'S MY WHALE SHOT!