Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K10 Impressions( Vs K100 Vs *ist D and DS)

1. AF is the same as K100D and *ist D in speed and sensitivity, hunting etc., as long as lithium batteries are used in those. The DS is just slower but silenter too.

2. I confirm the shutter release button of the four models are the same, i.e., an ordinary two stage switch but not the one used in MZ-S (soft touch and one stage with variable resistance, i.e., slight press will trigger AF, harder press will fire the shutter and there is no obvious "barrier" to feel as the resistant force is gradually increased.

3. Shutter/mirror sound and feel very similar to K100, although not as loud (but I would say K100's is crisper). Not even close to *ist D which is smoother and more responsive (and close to MZ-S);

4. Shutter lag *seems* to be slower/longer than the K100 (I just wonder. It's just a consistent feeling, though, not scientific)

5. "Stiffness" of AE-L and AF switch etc. varies a little bit with different units, but all are stiff and not crisp and clear. All other 3 models feel better. I just wonder if that will be improved over time, when the water resistant rubber insider are sketched more (but then dunno if water resistance will be decreased, then).

6. AF red point indication is still asymmetrical, where the central point now is nearly correct, i.e. except the central point the whole red array is shifted to the left. But the leftest one is hardly visible and is very dim. Old problem since my *ist D, but then my K100D's red points are brightest and clearest, putting aside the alignment problem. I don't know if there is more differences from units to units, anyway.

7. The green button do NOT reset default WB, ISO (to auto/default) and drive mode etc. under the Fn manual whilst the *ist D DID! (why Pentax don't keep this simple and clever design, which is useful and handy??)

Well, in short, my impression is "you get what you paid for". The K10D is simply a K100D clone with some added feature and an *ist D alike hardware interface, but the insides are simply not on a par with those upper class (more expensive) DSLR (*ist D) or SLR (MZ-S) in the past.

p.s. I have not bought my K10D and I just borrowed it some others to play with. Well, I still think that I shall not buy one at this moment, after several hands-on checks. I really hope that Pentax can market a higher grade body with true quality like the MZ-S, in which they put all the best they could and had!

01-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm...I seem to disagree.

The K10D has a tough, heavy, and well-built body. It's easier to hold and feels much better than the D.

The AF is MUCH faster than that of the D, and still slightly improved over the other models. Same goes for the internal processor and image engine. Also, note the support for USM focusing and power zoom.

I wouldn't call it a K10D clone, either, since it has all your advanced buttons on the outside instead of in the menu. It also doesn't have the 6 P&S modes that the DS, DL, and K100D series boast. Add to that the larger and heaver weather-sealed body...

The only thing that's better in the D is its flash- a full TTL array that the K10D doesn't provide.

Anyone have some technical info to add?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Well, in short, my impression is "you get what you paid for". The K10D is simply a K100D clone with some added feature and an *ist D alike hardware interface, but the insides are simply not on a par with those upper class (more expensive) DSLR (*ist D) or SLR (MZ-S) in the past.
Well, what does this really mean? That it is a Pentax?

And, after all, isn't the K10D *cheaper* than the original *ist D was? This completely negates: weather sealing, anti-shake, improved ergonomics, *much* improved speed, among other changes.
01-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Prices are falling on everything. Seeing that Pentax has gained much popularity over the past few years, they can afford to see the K10D cheaper due to the volume of purchases. Also, as technology improves, production costs on electronics have decreased dramatically- just look at memory cards!

The *ist D is currently cheaper than the K10D, at $850 new with the FA J kit. The K10D matches up without a doubt...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nothing too technical but if you got a spare handheld meter, here is a little experiment that will help you appreciate P-TTL a little bit better.

With the meter in hand go into any room (bathroom works) with good lighting and mirrors. Turn all the lights on. Imagine some subjects in the room-people here and there. Meter off the mirrors to determine the correct exposures for several 'set-ups'.

Frustrated? It's the filters man; darn digital!