Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #1

Dang!! - K20 file sizes are huge!!

Not that I'm complaining. Picked up my K20 last night and my K10 is now Robin (sidekick) to Batman (K20) after being the top dog for the last year and a bit. My DS is moving on to my dad who is keen to start up photography. I'm happy to keep my first DSLR in the family.

Anyways I've only had a chance to duck home on my lunch break and have a play with the K20. I got it with a 16-45 and was very well looked after by my sales person. It is the first time i've used the 16-45 and it looks good so far. Something I didn't expect was the reverse movement of the lens when going wide. If the Tamron 17-50 2.8 results are good i'll be selling a brand new 16-45 very soon, so keep an eye out in the market place.

So about the file sizes. As I have yet to play with the settings in depth, I have it on max res and max quality JPEG in bright mode. Average file size for a pic is between 7-11MB for a JPEG. Over double from the K10. But that is due obviously to the great sensor inside. I guess there will always be a market for portable hardrives these days.

Here are some shots. They were taken in my yard about 2 hours ago. They have been resized and may effect the viewing quality a little.

Cheers,

Last edited by switch79; 05-20-2008 at 06:55 AM.
03-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
buy a fast 16gig card. You'll be happy you did.
03-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switch79 Quote
Anyways I've only had a chance to duck home on my lunch break and have a play with the K20. I got it with a 16-45 and was very well looked after by my sales person. It is the first time i've used the 16-45 and it looks good so far. Something I didn't expect was the reverse movement of the lens when going wide. If the Tamron 17-50 2.8 results are good i'll be selling a brand new 16-45 very soon, so keep an eye out in the market place.
I've been using the Pentax 16-45 f/4 a lot with my K20D and I like the results a lot. I just placed an order for the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC IF Macro, because the 16-45 range is just a bit frustrating--I'm always wanting to go to 60mm and not able to. Hope the Sigma is as good as the Pentax!

QuoteQuote:
So about the file sizes. As I have yet to play with the settings in depth, I have it on max res and max quality JPEG in bright mode. Average file size for a pic is between 7-11MB for a JPEG. Over double from the K10.
Well, be happy that you're not shooting raw! I shooting nothing but raw and since Adobe Lightroom doesn't support the K20D's PEF files yet, I shoot DNG. Dang, those files are big. I'm trying to rethink my long-term storage system, which kind of means rethinking everything I do. For the last year or so I've been shooting pretty much nothing but raw, 99.7% of the time. But I'm now unsure whether it makes sense to KEEP all those raw originals. I may start keeping the processed jpegs and throwing away the raw files for most of my shots, everything that isn't a real prize winner.

Congrats on the K20D, by the way.

Will
03-27-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I wish I could take shots like that out of my backyard right now, too. Unfortunately, everything is burried under about 2 metres of snow (no kidding, I have a 2 metres fence to keep the dogs in, and I can't see it anymore).

03-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #5

What is the size of the K20 PEF files?
03-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I did some comparisons of the different file sizes for the K20D in relation to their quality settings... This is an average of a number of shots I took for comparison.

DNG: 23MB
PEF: 14MB
JPEG **** 10.5MB
JPEG *** 6.2MB
JPEG ** 3.5MB
JPEG * 1.75MB

Depending on how much detail you want to wring out of your photos, select the settings above to match your requirements.

Alex
03-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20 files sizes are huge, to be sure. I always thought that the compression in the K10 was too much, resulting in too small file size. However, I don't really shoot jpeg so I didn't much care. I shoot PEF and convert to DNG in Adobe's free utility. That keeps file sizes to around 13MB in camera, and around 10MB on the hard drive.

Interestingly, even jpegs exported from (*app name deleted*) from the K20 are around 14MB. It's just a lot of pixels to record.
03-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A note on Pefs and DNGs, thye can get up to 28 mb in size depending on your subject.

I have 2 8gig sd cards and added a 500 gig drive just for the K20d so far, I think I actually will need a whole new machine for it soon with a pair of 1000 gig drives.

03-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
since Adobe Lightroom doesn't support the K20D's PEF files yet, I shoot DNG. Dang, those files are big.
My understanding is that Lightroom 1.4 now supports K20D PEF files. I haven't installed it yet - but the Adobe Camera Raw that they released on the same day now has K20D PEF support, and the K20D DNGs no longer come in to Photoshop with funny colours.

BTW, you can also use Pentax Photo Browser software to load PEFs and "Save as DNG". Does a great job
03-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by juice Quote
My understanding is that Lightroom 1.4 now supports K20D PEF files. I haven't installed it yet - but the Adobe Camera Raw that they released on the same day now has K20D PEF support, and the K20D DNGs no longer come in to Photoshop with funny colours.

BTW, you can also use Pentax Photo Browser software to load PEFs and "Save as DNG". Does a great job
Yes, but they found some serious bugs, and had to do a recall.