Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Adjustment wheels become unresponsive?

When using my K-30 in Av or TAv mode sometimes the adjustment front/back adjustment wheels become unresponsive after taking a photo. They're fields are highlighted (showing that they can be adjusted) or flashing but no matter what I do the values are locked. The only way to regain adjustment is to flip the camera off and then on again. Is something wrong with the camera or is there a setting I'm missing that is locking the aperture and/or shutter speed after each shot?

Also, is there any way to tell the camera to only take one photo per depression of the shutter button?

09-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This has happened to me as well, in Av.

Re: shooting mode--switch to Continuous Low.
09-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may have instant preview turned on. It will use the back wheel to zoom in or out of your previewed shot.
The wheels will not adjust the aperture or shutter speeds (or ISO for Sv) until the allotted "preview" time is up, unless your half press the shutter or press the AF button.

For a single shot per press, switch to single in your drive modes.
09-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
When using my K-30 in Av or TAv mode sometimes the adjustment front/back adjustment wheels become unresponsive after taking a photo. They're fields are highlighted (showing that they can be adjusted) or flashing but no matter what I do the values are locked. The only way to regain adjustment is to flip the camera off and then on again. Is something wrong with the camera or is there a setting I'm missing that is locking the aperture and/or shutter speed after each shot?

Also, is there any way to tell the camera to only take one photo per depression of the shutter button?
As manacho mentioned, you need to half press the shutter button to exit instant review, or just disable instant review.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As manacho mentioned, you need to half press the shutter button to exit instant review, or just disable instant review.
I have turned off instant review and even after half pressing the shutter button (autofocusing) I'm still unable to adjust the dials. In Av mode the values for ISO, aperture, and shutter speed just flash repeatidly and spinning the rear dial does not stop the flashing or allow aperture adjusting. Similarly, in TAv mode the values for ISO, aperture, and shutter speed just flash and spinning the rear dial does not stop the flashing or allow aperture adjusting and spinning the front dial dial does not stop the flashing or allow shutter speed adjusting. After about 30 seconds to one minute (after the display has gone blank) I can spin the dials and they allow adjusting however the values for all three items are still flashing. Again this is with instant review turned off. Is there anything I can do to bring this down to one second or zero seconds of waiting until I can adjust these values between shoots? Half pressing the shutter button (autofocusing) doesn't help.
09-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
I have turned off instant review and even after half pressing the shutter button (autofocusing) I'm still unable to adjust the dials. In Av mode the values for ISO, aperture, and shutter speed just flash repeatidly and spinning the rear dial does not stop the flashing or allow aperture adjusting. Similarly, in TAv mode the values for ISO, aperture, and shutter speed just flash and spinning the rear dial does not stop the flashing or allow aperture adjusting and spinning the front dial dial does not stop the flashing or allow shutter speed adjusting. After about 30 seconds to one minute (after the display has gone blank) I can spin the dials and they allow adjusting however the values for all three items are still flashing. Again this is with instant review turned off. Is there anything I can do to bring this down to one second or zero seconds of waiting until I can adjust these values between shoots? Half pressing the shutter button (autofocusing) doesn't help.
Sounds like there might be either something wrong with the camera or with your doing. I suggest you remove the battery for 5-10 min and after installing it back fully charged reset the camera settings to default. If this doesn't help - then I run out of ideas
09-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For the time being, it appears that turning the white balance back to auto has corrected the problem.

09-25-2013, 02:32 AM   #8

I suggest you try to upgrade firmware. Pentax just release one for K-30.