Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pronunciation of *ist?

1. Idle curiosity on my part, but as I'm reading more and more about Pentax cameras, it's becoming more and more annoying to me that I don't know what to hear in my head when I encounter the model name *ist. Does anybody know if there is an authoritative pronunciation for that? And apart from the authoritative pronunciation, what do people actually say, if anything?

Example of difference between authoritative pronunciation and actual usage: Apple stated repeatedly that the correct or official pronunciation of "OS X" is oh-ess-ten. The X is the Roman numeral for "10". As a Latin professor, I would have urged them to push for oh-ess-decem, but for some reason they never ask me about these things. Anyway, authoritative pronunciation aside, lots of people said oh-ess-ex.

2. I would also like to ask, What in the world was Pentax thinking of when they came up the name *ist? Had they hired the Artist Formerly Known as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince to advise them on product naming? But an answer to this question would be too much to hope for, so I'll be content with an answer to question 1.

:-)

Will

01-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Inactive Account

As far as I know it is what it is, I, S, T. Mine is an istDL.

Walt
01-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newtmaker Quote
As far as I know it is what it is, I, S, T. Mine is an istDL.

I asked about pronunciation. Are you responding that you pronounce your camera model eye-ess-tee-dee-ell?

What about that wacky asterisk? I have been assuming that people must say something like "star-ist", since "asterisk-ist" is something only professional linguists would be able to pronounce.

Will
01-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for asking this question... I've been wondering the same thing for awhile now.

01-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, I've heard that it's pronounced "eye-ess-tee". Supposedly it's a wildcard for "Enthusiast", "Activist", "Whatever-ist". Pretty weak, and I'm glad they dropped the name. Even if you wanted one, how were you supposed to ask for one at the store?

That was the only thing I didn't like about my *istDL.
01-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It seems to be an eternal question...
How do you pronounce "*ist" ?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
What kind of name is *ist???: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
How to pronounce *ist?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Common sense naming system?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I know this is silly but what does istDS mean: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Just a random selection from dpreview. Gotta give Pentax credit, they produced some buzz, although arguing about how to pronounce the model name isn't necessarily the best buzz to have. I just ignored it while I owned an *istDL (however I was supposed to say it), now it's not an issue 'cause I got a K100D.

Julie
01-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #7

Around my neighbourhood unless you had the 35 mm version most people just referred to the actual model, "I have a Dee eS". When referring to the series again most people would call out by the letters as opposed to a word sound. This is yet another reason to be upgrading to a K10D for those sitting on the fence, whether that be front or back focussed.

01-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

*ist=asteriskist
ass te risk kissed
01-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I would assume the * would actually be star (similar to Pentax's Star Lenses, which are also labelled with the *). I really have no idea on ist but I say 'Eye - Ess - Tea then the letter such as D, or DL.

I have a K100D, so this isn't so much of a problem for me, phew!
01-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The origin of it is "Intelligent Shooting Technology". It was too long for a name so Pentax shortened it and made up the "____ist" story. The first ist was actually a film camera.

As for pronounciation? My wife had an interesting version, a contraction of sorts. Pentax *istD = *****t. I think she just suffered from *****t envy.

Edit: ROFLMAO The auto-censor made it even funnier than my wife did. :end edit
01-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't know how authoritative this is, but it's another slant on it.

Simon
01-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I first heard it as the issed, (-ĭst), so that's what I use. I ignore the *. Truthfully though, I've discussed the *ist cameras with very few people and haven't ever felt troubled by the pronunciation.

With the Nintendo Wii, however, I draw a great deal of flak. My coworkers are fond of delivering extended "Weeeeeeeeeeee"'s when I mention the system.
01-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

always called it ist, sometimes i spell it out, i.e, "Yeah, i tried that out with my Pentax I-S-T film body"
01-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #14
Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that I read an official pronuntiation guide from Pentax (ok an offical statement) on the *ist D when it came out - and they said it was pronouced star-ist D. As Russ says, they mentioned at the time it was a wildcard for whatever you wanted to call yourself. Presumably they weren't thinking of things like dentist or serial rapist!

Duncan.
01-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #15

I was first exposed to the *ist while doing research on the K10D. It looked like a typo to me and I thought someone had gotten lazy while posting.

At least the *ist is a distinctive name. I sometimes have trouble seeing the difference between the K10D and the K100 when someone leaves off the D in the model name in a post or review. When I ordered the K10D from Cameta I made sure that they had the right camera in the order.

How many people out there name thier camera? Do you refer to it (him/her) by a private name? Care to share?

My unofficial name for my newest camera is Cotten Candy (K-ten D) Just say it fast...