Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K100D Super vs K100D

I have 3 K100D cameras. One of them, however, has the firmware and features of the K100D Super (dust removal from the sensor). Were there models of the K100D that included dust removal, or do I have a fluke (K100D Super, but marked as a K100D)? When I go into the menu and select sensor clean, then mirror up, the mirror goes into the upright position and the sensor pulsates to shake off dust. My other 2 K100 bodes only raise the mirror.

All three bodies are using firmware version 1.02.

Is there a hack to make this feature available on the two bodies that don't exhibit this feature?

thanks,
W6WAT

09-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by w6wat Quote
I have 3 K100D cameras. One of them, however, has the firmware and features of the K100D Super (dust removal from the sensor). Were there models of the K100D that included dust removal, or do I have a fluke (K100D Super, but marked as a K100D)? When I go into the menu and select sensor clean, then mirror up, the mirror goes into the upright position and the sensor pulsates to shake off dust. My other 2 K100 bodes only raise the mirror.

All three bodies are using firmware version 1.02.

Is there a hack to make this feature available on the two bodies that don't exhibit this feature?

thanks,
W6WAT
That's weird. Dust removal shouldn't raise the mirror, so perhaps there's something wrong with one of the three cameras?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K100D don't have dust removal, only sensor clean (where mirror goes up and you can clean sensor manually).
K100D super have dust removal (sensor shake at startup or manually started) and sensor clean.

The shake removal by shaking the sensor is not very effective, so I would not bother trying to add it to cameras not supporting it. Just get a rocket blower to clean the sensor.
09-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The shake removal by shaking the sensor is not very effective, so I would not bother trying to add it to cameras not supporting it. Just get a rocket blower to clean the sensor.
I agree that rocket is much better than the sensor shake, bu the shake method is very useful in a pinch when blowing is not an option. With the older body like K10D / K100Ds you have to do it 3-5 times to be effective. K-x generation and up works much better, but I still shake it at least twice for good measure..

That pulsating mirror on K100D is rather weird. I must confess not having ever seen the sensor while it's doing cleaning, so I'm not sure. If the options on menu are different on the cameras then yes perhaps you have a misbadged K100D.

What's more bizzare for me is why you'd have 3 K100Ds