Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No idea- but don't the rebels only have a single cross-type point? That isn't going to get you very far regardless
Thanks, I thought so too.

09-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #32
Pentaxian

*ist DS is totally the way to go. You can easily change to an S type screen for better manual focus; you can use the pop-up flash for fill; and the colors are great. Enjoy!
09-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
*ist DS is totally the way to go. You can easily change to an S type screen for better manual focus; you can use the pop-up flash for fill; and the colors are great. Enjoy!
can't wait to see my degraded camera
09-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Aside from smaller viewfinder on the rebel, would it give me option to choose focus point using the manual focus lens?
I'm confused. With a manual focus lens why are you wondering if the camera will allow you to choose the focus point? Wouldn't you do that by eye?

09-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
I don't care 6MP actually. and yup, I go tthe *ist DS.
Then*istD is the best option IMO as it h the most functions really useable for legacy lenses, and you can use aCF to SD adaptor for memory cards.

Great little camera. dS is not too bad either bout I prefer the ruggedness of the original D and the dual controls.
09-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know what you mean... but unless you secure the cheap m42 adapter onto the lens, it may still get stuck in the camera. Then, again, you may not want to drill holes to your good lenses.
Shouldn't be a problem. I use a couple of m42 adapters exactly as described & they work great. Removing the spring lock from the adapter prevents it from getting stuck on the camera even if comes off the lens and stays mounted to the camera. I put the adapter on the lens and snug it down with the rear cap and stays put just fine without drilling holes or doing anything else. If you want it off the lens, just unscrew the adapter with the rear cap. It's a piece of cake.
09-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No idea- but don't the rebels only have a single cross-type point? That isn't going to get you very far regardless
I thought you can only use the center point with M42 anyway, or am I missing something? The big advantage pentax has over the rebel is SR, but with rebel you also get access to a plethora of other mount's glass like Nikon and Oly.

I personally would recommend the cheapest body with a pentaprism that you can find, but looks like you already made your choice. Enjoy the camera!
09-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I'm confused. With a manual focus lens why are you wondering if the camera will allow you to choose the focus point? Wouldn't you do that by eye?
Yes, you would still use your eye to focus, but the important part of the shooting experience is the focus confirmation by the camera, and if you have focus-priority and catch-in-focus set on the camera, you can nail the shot every time. Yes, the turning of focus ring is manual, but the shooting process is enhanced by the camera. That is the advantage of the current Pentax DSLR line. Would a rebel camera do all that? don't know....

Last edited by aleonx3; 09-27-2013 at 09:32 AM.
09-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I thought you can only use the center point with M42 anyway, or am I missing something? The big advantage pentax has over the rebel is SR, but with rebel you also get access to a plethora of other mount's glass like Nikon and Oly.

I personally would recommend the cheapest body with a pentaprism that you can find, but looks like you already made your choice. Enjoy the camera!
Andi, you brought up a very good point, with the Canon camera, you can almost always find an adapter (Nikon, Sony, Yashica, Fujica, Minolta, Exakta etc.) that you can mount on the camera and be able to use it. The only thing is: does it have features (aside from SR) that would enhance the shooting experience using manual focus lenses?
09-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Andi, you brought up a very good point, with the Canon camera, you can almost always find an adapter (Nikon, Sony, Yashica, Fujica, Minolta, Exakta etc.) that you can mount on the camera and be able to use it. The only thing is: does it have features (aside from SR) that would enhance the shooting experience using manual focus lenses?
I'm not sure actually. I know some people on this forum to shoot m42s on Canon cameras, maybe we can wait for them to chime in

One day I hope to get a Sony A850 with broken AF mechanism to run all my M42s, that's be the ultimate M42 machine.