Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

CHEAPEST DSLR for permanent M42 mount

Hi guys
so when my tak collection project goes smoothly, I'm looking for a cheap body for permanent M42 adapter mounting.
Not very familiar with old Pentax DSLRs (started with K7 and now I have K5, used to own K10D but sold it out)
So it seems *ist, K100D might be budget choices.
So any other ideas for manual-friendly DSLRs?
Thanks

09-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not buy several adapters and attach them permanently to your M42 glass? This way you can use a much better DSLR than the ones you mencioned and will be cheaper..
Or do you also use it on different mounts other than Pentax?
09-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't made it permanent M42 but my Katz Eye equipped K10D is host to most of my manual lenses. I have an almost equal amount of M42 and K mount manual lenses.
09-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-01 would be the best bang for your image quality buck.

09-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
Hi guys
so when my tak collection project goes smoothly, I'm looking for a cheap body for permanent M42 adapter mounting.
Not very familiar with old Pentax DSLRs (started with K7 and now I have K5, used to own K10D but sold it out)
So it seems *ist, K100D might be budget choices.
So any other ideas for manual-friendly DSLRs?
Thanks
If you want to buy something new, maybe look at the K-30? Or a rebel

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an istDS with an adapter fitted that I use with my Taks, I really like the way it renders, I've tried the adapter fitted to each lens approach but have so many other K mount manual lenses that they rarely made it onto the camera anyway, now I have a separate bag with the M42 lenses & istDS ready to go, for when I feel in an M42 kinda mood ! just pick up the bag and go. The only thing I would say is 6MP is a little low if you want to print large, a K10 or K200 could be a better choice. I've recently purchased a K30 so I'm thinking I may relegate my K20 to the M42 roll.
cheers
09-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Also remember that the *ist series were the last Pentax DSLRs able to use the older TTL flash system.

I have no idea how it works, or why it's different to P-TTL (Flash photography is a black art to me)

But maybe read into if that feature will allow easier flash usage with the M42 lenses.

It might not make a difference at all, but in case it does it's something to remember.

09-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K10D, Me Too!

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I haven't made it permanent M42 but my Katz Eye equipped K10D is host to most of my manual lenses. I have an almost equal amount of M42 and K mount manual lenses.
Same here, that would be my choice. 10mp, great sensor, easy functions and menu, sturdy build. A digital K1000.
They run about $200 USD here and eBay, well worth it!
JMO,
Ron
09-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I have no idea how it works, or why it's different to P-TTL (Flash photography is a black art to me)
same here, I understand it when its purely manual, but when they automate it ???? - Could be the definition of irony " the black art of flash photography"
09-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #10

There are many options for a cheap DSLR for mounting M42 lenses, I use a Pentax K10D and it works OK, but if you really want the CHEAPEST solution, I can reccomend you an Olympus E-1. Really, if you are OK with 2x crop factor and 5Mpx, it's a wonderful body with superb handling, IQ and VF. I recently bought one for next to nothing and am amazed what few bucks can buy you:-)
Edit: don't stone me to death for such a blasphemy...
09-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Cheapest? Get a used NEX. It's better too. Especially if you're going to use faster lenses.
09-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have plenty of M42 lenses, something with large bright viewfinder would be the most useful for manual focus.
K10D - still use it
K-7 do not have it any more
K-30 use it, love it!
all the rest would start getting expensive.......
do not forget, catch in focus - very convenient on some occasions
09-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This is my original number 1 ist ds, the e-wheel has failed again after I took it apart and repaired it 18 months ago.
The number 2 ist ds here is still working 100%.

I was thinking to machine a simple m42 mount copying the Yashica's mount alongside but with the 5 hole mount pattern to suit the number 1 ist ds.
It seems to work ok in Av mode on a K lens with the lever removed.

Wow, the k-01 had some fun taking this shot in the angled sun onto the white cloth, clacking and whirring, oof, over and under exposed.
I had to put the thing in Manual..... still didn't get it focussed right...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
09-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you strike out going the Pentax route...EOS

Steve
09-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want to buy something new, maybe look at the K-30? Or a rebel
After hanging out with my friend's 550D, I just give up the NC's entry level dslr. Just cant stand the plastic feeling.
And thanks for the K30 part but it's beyond my budget and my girlfriend will kill me