Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
I have an istDS with an adapter fitted that I use with my Taks, I really like the way it renders, I've tried the adapter fitted to each lens approach but have so many other K mount manual lenses that they rarely made it onto the camera anyway, now I have a separate bag with the M42 lenses & istDS ready to go, for when I feel in an M42 kinda mood ! just pick up the bag and go. The only thing I would say is 6MP is a little low if you want to print large, a K10 or K200 could be a better choice. I've recently purchased a K30 so I'm thinking I may relegate my K20 to the M42 roll.
cheers
That's what I thought. A M42 adapter mounted cheap DSLR + bag of M42 lenses.
I check the profile of istDS---manufactured during 2003 (10 years old already...), and using CF card?

09-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
That's what I thought. A M42 adapter mounted cheap DSLR + bag of M42 lenses.
I check the profile of istDS---manufactured during 2003 (10 years old already...), and using CF card?
That's the *ist D. The *ist DS was the cheaper version released maybe a year later, using SD cards. It had a single control dial, fewer features, same sensor. When I got mine in September of 2005, it was half the price of the D.

I would avoid the *ist DL for this because it had a pentamirror instead of pentaprism viewfinder, and they don't seem to last. The DS2 is less common and has a larger rear LCD. Firmware upgrades for the DS added the DS2 features.

One reason to go with the D or DS is the focusing screen seemed to produce better exposures with M42 lenses. The K10D and K20D had problems with green button metering and M42 lenses. The TTL flash feature might be useful.
09-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The cheapest solution is to use the DSLR you already have and ignore the other glass.
09-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Why don't you want to use your K-5?

09-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
I have an istDS with an adapter fitted that I use with my Taks, I really like the way it renders, I've tried the adapter fitted to each lens approach but have so many other K mount manual lenses that they rarely made it onto the camera anyway, now I have a separate bag with the M42 lenses & istDS ready to go, for when I feel in an M42 kinda mood ! just pick up the bag and go. The only thing I would say is 6MP is a little low if you want to print large, a K10 or K200 could be a better choice. I've recently purchased a K30 so I'm thinking I may relegate my K20 to the M42 roll.
cheers
Hummm I bid a 8K shutter count ist DS on ebay, $90! can't wait for it
09-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-01 for manual focus/screw lens

I really like my K-01 for all manual focus lenses, screw mount as well as K-mount non-autofocus lenses. Camera price is low, $200 or so without a lens, image quality is outstanding, and focus-peaking makes manual focus simple and pretty accurate. The camera is not water proof, but then neither are any of the screw mount or non-autofocus lenses that I have seen. Probably the worst downside of the K-01 in this application is screen visibility in bright outside situations.
09-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K10 is the perminant M42 body, because the lens locking pin and AF screw drive failed on the body.

I have a diagonal split image focusing screen in it.

My *istDwould make a better body because compared to the K10 it meters better with legacy lenses, can have a perminant EV comp set in metering (even for manual mode) and supports TTL flash.

The *istD is much better suited for manual lenses if you can live with 6mp and a slloooowwwwww camera

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 09-27-2013 at 05:13 AM.
09-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I use my k-01 quite often for m42 lenses (good but too bad it does not have viewfinder)... but I am trying to get a used k-30 from Japan...which will be my primary m42 lens mounted camera. I believe k-30 would be perfect since I can use liveview and focus peaking and also the viewfinder to shoot.
09-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
My K10 is the pe ruminant M42 body, because the lens locking pin and AF screw drive failed on the body.

I have a diagonal split image focusing screen in it.

My *istDwould make a better body because compared to the K10 it meters better with legacy lenses, can have a perminant EV comp set in metering (even for manual mode) and supports TTL flash.

The *istD is much better suited for manual lenses if you can live with 6mp and a slloooowwwwww camera
I don't care 6MP actually. and yup, I go tthe *ist DS.
09-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Personally, I would just buy a bunch of cheap eBay m42 adapters for a couple of bucks each, remove the spring lock to prevent them sticking to your camera and use what you have. Just keep them permanently mounted to the lenses and voila... your m42 lenses are now all PK mount. Much faster and more convenient to attach to your camera, too. There's no downside to this method, IMO.
09-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want to buy something new, maybe look at the K-30? Or a rebel
Adam, I understand the m42 to Canon adapter is much cheaper, so people can use the m42 lenses on the Rebels series camera. May be the reason why the m42 lenses are not as cheap as before because all the Canon folks are hoarding the m42 lenses on fleabay. Is there any features on the Rebel camera that will give the user more advantages over the K-30; I mean specifically features CIF, focus priority on shutter release, focus comfirmation and focus peaking, center weigh metering etc. One feature that I wish Pentax would implement for use of manual focus lenses would be to allow the use of other focus points aside from center point for use of MF lenses, that would be perfect. I also prefer m42 lenses over k-mount MF lenses since I can use stop-down metering and not having to use 'green' button. Thanks...
09-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Adam, I understand the m42 to Canon adapter is much cheaper, so people can use the m42 lenses on the Rebels series camera. May be the reason why the m42 lenses are not as cheap as before because all the Canon folks are hoarding the m42 lenses on fleabay. Is there any features on the Rebel camera that will give the user more advantages over the K-30; I mean specifically features CIF, focus priority on shutter release, focus comfirmation and focus peaking, center weigh metering etc. One feature that I wish Pentax would implement for use of manual focus lenses would be to allow the use of other focus points aside from center point for use of MF lenses, that would be perfect. I also prefer m42 lenses over k-mount MF lenses since I can use stop-down metering and not having to use 'green' button. Thanks...
With manual lenses you can't take advantage of many of the rebel's cooler features. So you are probably better off getting a K-50 because of the bigger viewfinder, which is what matters the most IMO when using manual lenses. But the t3i is cheaper than the K-50 or K-500 (new), so that's why I mentioned it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With manual lenses you can't take advantage of many of the rebel's cooler features. So you are probably better off getting a K-50 because of the bigger viewfinder, which is what matters the most IMO when using manual lenses. But the t3i is cheaper than the K-50 or K-500 (new), so that's why I mentioned it.
Thanks, Adam, nothing against the rebel's series, they are good for what they are and cheaper too. Aside from smaller viewfinder on the rebel, would it give me option to choose focus point using the manual focus lens? I think a k-30 would be great not only as a back up camera to my k-5 but a dedicated m42 lens camera as well. With the imminent announcement of the new Pentax flagship APS-C camera, I hope to see an even lower price on used k-30 in Japan. Thanks again...
09-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Thanks, Adam, nothing against the rebel's series, they are good for what they are and cheaper too. Aside from smaller viewfinder on the rebel, would it give me option to choose focus point using the manual focus lens? I think a k-30 would be great not only as a back up camera to my k-5 but a dedicated m42 lens camera as well. With the imminent announcement of the new Pentax flagship APS-C camera, I hope to see an even lower price on used k-30 in Japan. Thanks again...
No idea- but don't the rebels only have a single cross-type point? That isn't going to get you very far regardless

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Personally, I would just buy a bunch of cheap eBay m42 adapters for a couple of bucks each, remove the spring lock to prevent them sticking to your camera and use what you have. Just keep them permanently mounted to the lenses and voila... your m42 lenses are now all PK mount. Much faster and more convenient to attach to your camera, too. There's no downside to this method, IMO.
I know what you mean... but unless you secure the cheap m42 adapter onto the lens, it may still get stuck in the camera. Then, again, you may not want to drill holes to your good lenses.