Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Life of a K100D Super - 117.706 SC -and counting!

Today is a very special day for me. I met an 'old friend' of mine, a K100D Super, but not just any K100Ds, this is The K100Ds, this is actually my ex-camera, my first DSLR, my very first Pentax. I have written the a bit of a story on how I first got this camera here. I bought this used from a friend who at that time was upgrading. There were newer bodies on sale, but I can only afford this K100Ds. He he told me that this is in fact his first Pentax, too and that he also bought used it from someone overseas. After getting a K20D, I sold this camera about two years ago to a friend, jumping up from pocket cams. My friend then, upgrading also to K20D, sold this K100Ds to his friend who are looking for a better options than taking pictures with cellphone cameras. The 'story' continues as this camera was sold again because it's owner upgraded to K-x, and was bought by another person, also new to photography at that time.

I was invited by a friend to join his photo shoot session today, and there I met the 'the last' guy who owns this K100Ds and still using it till today. He is now the leader of the biggest photo club in my region, thousands of members. I offered him to switch camera for the whole session and I shoot hundreds of frames the whole afternoon. I even waited for sunset and snap a few frames.

An amazing camera indeed, this K100Ds still impress me with sharp images, beautiful colors, and great handling. It look just the way when I first held it in my hands, still performs flawlessly, still gives and still going strong! I have to say that for a while I was a bit ashamed. I admit I was getting a bit more 'gear oriented' lately, thinking that newer, more expensive gears is the only way to improve my photography now, that I probably need a newer and better camera, a Full Frame perhaps.. Today's encounter with my old friend reminded me again that gears are merely tools, and sometimes I blame them for my own incapability.

Earlier tonight while copying the pics from today's photo shoot I got curious about the shutter count of that K100Ds, so I check it with PhotoMe. I was kinda shocked with the s.c. of the last image: 117.706! Boy, I don't know how much more this camera can give, but looking back though time I do know that it already given me -and off course all of it's owners- so much.

09-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Nice! I do miss my K100D Super as well. That and the K200D were my first 2 dSLRs. Bring back the top LCD!
09-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting story! That's great how many people that one camera is introducing to digital SLRs. A K100d super was also my first digital SLR! Great bang for the buck is what caused me to buy, along with being a Pentax guy from film days.
09-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a great story and an impressive shutter count. My K100D (24k shots) belongs to my wife now, but I still get to sneak it away sometimes.

09-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
GREAT story!
When I got my K20D I feared my K100DS (first DSLR, coming from film) was going to become a dust collector, but boy I was wrong. This camera has some "enchantment" powers. I actually use mine as my studio camera, most of the time with the A50 f1.7 Lethal combo!
I truly think of the K100DS as a modern version of the K1000: Spartan in features, humble but a great teacher that carries a big punch when it counts. Somehow, they make you love 'em more than you should Yes, I still have and use my K1000 as well...
Impressive shutter count. Mine is now approaching 28K.

Thanks!
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You do realize that one camera is responsible for a mighty Pentax revival in your area!! Amazing how these things work out! My first DSLR was the K110d Which I then gifted to my daughter. Which she absolutely adores!! I picked up a nicely used K100d and I'll use it till it dies! From the looks of your shutter count my little tank will out live me!! By the way giving my daughter a Pentax makes all my LBA purchases not look so bad. (it's not for me, honest dear)

P.S. I only got 17,600+ on mine

Last edited by Joel B; 09-24-2013 at 05:24 PM.
09-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all!
That K100Ds is indeed a part of history. I'm thinking about 'buyback' now

09-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Thank you all!
Thank you! I didn't know about Photome. I downloaded it last night and it's so cool!!!!
09-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wanted to show more of this very camera, I think I'll start posting more pics here
Okay, these are from yesterday's strolling:

FB links, mind not the quality

09-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Amazing photos!!! Plus I want that house, it's beautiful!! Got any refrigerated warehouse jobs there?
09-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #11

Pentax istD

Just downloaded Photome and.....my ist-D shutter actuations: 6483. Quite fresh still...
Nice and solid cameras with excellent CCD sensor.
09-26-2013, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EA4BL Quote
Just downloaded Photome and.....my ist-D shutter actuations: 6483. Quite fresh still...
Nice and solid cameras with excellent CCD sensor.
Yup! CCD sensors are something different alright

Here's something from yesterday's session:

09-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Very nice story That K100Ds is rocking and taking great pictures. I'm sure it's one happy camera.

In my case my old K100D (my first SLR) is with my brother and he's upgraded to my K20D. Not sure what will happen to the K100D, perhaps I will meet it again. I would recommend my brother to carry two bodies though. K20D and K100D makes a good combo.

CCD sensors 4 life
09-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Very nice story That K100Ds is rocking and taking great pictures. I'm sure it's one happy camera.

In my case my old K100D (my first SLR) is with my brother and he's upgraded to my K20D. Not sure what will happen to the K100D, perhaps I will meet it again. I would recommend my brother to carry two bodies though. K20D and K100D makes a good combo.

CCD sensors 4 life
You should quickly conduct a search operation on that camera!

Here's from this afternoon:

..looks like it needed a sensor cleaning
09-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Forum Member

I still think that some of the best pictures I've ever taken were with my k100d! Loved that sensor...