Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Digital Base for 35mm Lenses

Hi Pentax users!

I need help! I have a 20 year old Pentax K1000 35mm camera. I want to find a digital base to go with the removeable lenses that I love. I've been to electronic stores but they do not fit the olympus, nikon, cannon & etc. cameras. Can someone please help me???

Thanks,
Rosamary

03-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Banned

If I understand you correctly you have a K1000 with a set of K mount Pentax lenses for it? if so you are going to need a Pentax digital SLR. what is your price range? you can choose from a K110D, K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K200D, K20D. You are not likely to find pentax cameras at your local electronics stores, you will either have to find a dedicated camera store or purchase online.
03-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now that's just sad. It's so unfair that big stores never stock Pentax cameras.

Rosamary, welcome to the forums, first of all!

You can try finding a Pentax DSLR in stores such as Adorama, B&H, or even Amazon. You might even want to try the Pentax Webstore, but there are cheaper places to shop from.

Best of luck with your search! Hope to see you around some other time.
03-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rosamary,

Welcome to the forum. There have to be some local camera stores that carry Pentax DSLRs. IF there is nothing else, try a Ritz Camera Store. They probably won't have a large selection but they should have at least a K100D Super and some basic lenses. Do your best not to let them try to talk you into a Canon or Nikon. You won't be able to use those great old lenses if they do.

03-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rosamary Quote
I need help! I have a 20 year old Pentax K1000 35mm camera. I want to find a digital base to go with the removeable lenses that I love. I've been to electronic stores but they do not fit the olympus, nikon, cannon & etc. cameras. Can someone please help me???

Rosamary,

I'm not sure I understand your question. You've got Pentax lenses? Then you need a Pentax camera--or a Samsung. Different makes of camera mostly use slightly different "mounts". It's a pain, but that's the way it is. Actually, with some makes of camera it's worse than that, as the same brand of camera may be using a different mount today than it used in the past, so old lenses like yours wouldn't be compatible with newer digital bodies. It's one of Pentax's strengths that the newer digital bodies can use almost any Pentax mount lens made since the mid-1970s.

As others have pointed out, since Pentax isn't one of the two biggest-selling brands (Canon and Nikon), your chance of finding it at your local camera store is not so good. So you might have to buy online. I buy mainly from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more and B&H, but I've also had excellent experiences with Adorama. There are other good stores online, but there are also places that appear to offer the cheapest price but actually end up selling you gray-market goods, or taking advantage of you in other ways, so if you aren't 100% sure, I think most of us would recommend that you stick with one of these very reputable dealers. Make sure that you understand the return policy before you place an order.

This is a great time to buy a digital camera. The latest models for Pentax are the K20D and K200D. I would recommend getting either a K20D or a new K10D (which will cost only slightly more than the K200D and is a better camera). But you can't go wrong. You can still find older Pentax models for sale, like the *ist DS, or the K100D (which has shake reduction) or the K110D (which is identical to the 100 but lacks shake reduction).

Good luck.

Will
03-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You do not have to shop online. Go to Ritz. They do carry Pentax in most stores. If they don't have em in Charleston, go to Huntington. You should not buy sight-unseen via the internet untill you have more experience with the cameras.

Just my humble opinion...