Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #1

Now I'll be known as a traitor...

People, I must admit, you can call me a traitor now.

I've changed the system. Now I am not a Pentaxian anymore, I am Olympusian. While getting my first DSLR I had a really really hard choise between GX-10 and E-510. That time I decided in a favor of GX-10. After all, lower noises, better final possible picture, and all people around yelling "K10 is a semi-pro for a very good price" made me decide.

Yet... On Sain't Patrick's Day I've managed to shoot 30-40 minutes with an Olympus E-510. And then I saw the results. And, frankly speaking, my lazy soul fell in love with that camera... Yes, the results were SOMEWHAT worse, then the final results from my GX-10, which was with me as always. But still, pictures from Oly E-510 were in-camera JPEGs with default settings, while mine took alot of time for PP.

And the E-510 ergonomics is above all expectations. Everything is 1-2 clicks away, very nice, even without second wheel, which I became to be used of.

So I sold my GX-10 and got E-510 Double Kit... Or course, I used it just a bit, but still I can say already, that pictures from it require almost no PP. Extremely usable pics from camera directly, which is VERY appealing to me...

What I really will miss, is this community. Seems like Oly has no such great place to share information. I want to say THANK YOU everyone in this forum, this is a great place and a great community to live in!

As a gift... A picture of a rose, which grows in my house, made with my new camera. In-camera JPEG, internal flash, kit lens, no PP except for resizing.

03-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Best wishes on your new system. Use what works for you! Beautiful shot too...

Regards,
Marc
03-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

wow, i knew the 4/3rds system produced smaller pictures.. but.. that's just tiny. :-P
03-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
Oni, that's a resized picture of course. 10MP is 10MP, no matter what system is it, the pixel count is nearly the same

03-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No issue with the choice. You have to be comfortable with the gear, make it an extension of your vision so that when you use it, you don't have to think about the camera. If you're not confident in the equipment (no matter how good others say it is), then the results will not be as good.
You might want to have a look at the roof though. Seems to be a lot of water on that indoor flower.

Don't be a stranger. Come back to see how we roast yer ass in effigy
03-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am afraid I may have the same problem in
the future. In the future when I will need a very fast
and versatile camera I may need to change to Canon or something
because Pentax just doesn't make one. I haven't used
the K20D but I still don't think it compares to something like
the Mark III and that can be a problem if you want to be
using the best.

Comments Welcome.
03-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SC
No need to apologize...In the few conversation we have had, you have always been a very respectful person and even in your OP here...May God bless you and may you keep shooting for the stars, and please come around....
javier

03-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Yes, the results were SOMEWHAT worse, then the final results from my GX-10, which was with me as always. But still, pictures from Oly E-510 were in-camera JPEGs with default settings, while mine took alot of time for PP.

... Or course, I used it just a bit, but still I can say already, that pictures from it require almost no PP. Extremely usable pics from camera directly, which is VERY appealing to me...

You should have tried the K20D - in-camera jpegs are incredible.

03-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
Oni, that's a resized picture of course. 10MP is 10MP, no matter what system is it, the pixel count is nearly the same
haha, i was just picking on the thumbnail size.. but.. in all seriousness, tell that to Sigma. they do some funky things to fudge their numbers, slightly.

how does the olympus feel, ergonomically, to your old k10d?
03-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
using the best.

Comments Welcome.
I don't understand why you would compare the K20D with the Canon Mark 3. Those are catering to different segments, and thus apple to orange comparison. We should look at the similar price range/MP range offer from other brands. From what I see, at around $1200, we have the Sony A700 and the Canon 40D. Sony is known to have slow AF as well so I don't see the problem there. The Canon might have faster AF, but some say it's inaccurate. Also being inferior in IQ, I don't see why the Pentax K20D isn't the winner. From Nikon camp, you have the excellent D300, but it's more expensive, so that's almost like a trade-off for the faster AF. IQ-wise, it's probably similar to the K20D.

For me, as soon as the Pentax AF starts to hunt, I switch to manual and shoot like normal. Admittedly, I use manual 90% of the time, so it's not really a big deal for me. I don't shoot pro sport so I can't comment. But with junior/kid sport event, I can comfortably do manual. The only time I wish I would have a fast AF system at the moment is probably for my insect macro. Those bees are just so darn fast, flying in and out, that I really have hard time to track them. But I doubt the fast AF would really solve the problem.
03-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
I don't understand why you would compare the K20D with the Canon Mark 3. Those are catering to different segments, and thus apple to orange comparison. We should look at the similar price range/MP range offer from other brands. From what I see, at around $1200, we have the Sony A700 and the Canon 40D. Sony is known to have slow AF as well so I don't see the problem there. The Canon might have faster AF, but some say it's inaccurate. Also being inferior in IQ, I don't see why the Pentax K20D isn't the winner. From Nikon camp, you have the excellent D300, but it's more expensive, so that's almost like a trade-off for the faster AF. IQ-wise, it's probably similar to the K20D.

For me, as soon as the Pentax AF starts to hunt, I switch to manual and shoot like normal. Admittedly, I use manual 90% of the time, so it's not really a big deal for me. I don't shoot pro sport so I can't comment. But with junior/kid sport event, I can comfortably do manual. The only time I wish I would have a fast AF system at the moment is probably for my insect macro. Those bees are just so darn fast, flying in and out, that I really have hard time to track them. But I doubt the fast AF would really solve the problem.
True comparing the K20D to Mark III was wrong.
What I meant was that the K20D is right now the best camera
from Pentax and the Mark III is from Canon. So I was comparing
the best from those companies, since I would want to have the best
from any company.
03-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have fun with the new camera. The E510 is nice. Have used one briefly. Also own E300/330 in addition to the Pentax dslrs. Must say the K20D is a match for anything I have seen from the Olympus cameras (in jpeg). Pentax has really improved their jpegs with the current models. Olympus has really improved their control layouts. The E300 is a chore to work vs the 330 or 410/510. Haven't tried an E3 yet. All cameras get better. Use what works for you.
thanks
barondla
Try fourthirdsphoto.com. Very similar feel to this site (same Jelsoft software even). Check in on us once in a while here. You can always have two systems!
03-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #13

Traitor! Just kidding, whatever system makes you comfortable is the best system to buy. And very very nice photo of the rose. Good luck!
03-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The main issue I had with the E510 was the small and dim viewfinder. That is one area where the K10d blows it away. The E3 fixed that but is a lot more than the E510. I like the look that you get with the 4/3rds system, and you should go and buy the 12-60 lens. It is one of the best zoom lenses in the market - bar none. That lens was enough to make me seriously consider going Olympus. I looked at the E3 but found the ergos to not me to my liking (very small buttons and some odd arrangements).

The reality is you can make stunning photos with damn near anything. Just learn the system and shoot. But seriously...get the 12-60 lens.
03-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
People, I must admit, you can call me a traitor now.

I've changed the system. Now I am not a Pentaxian anymore, I am Olympusian. While getting my first DSLR I had a really really hard choise between GX-10 and E-510. That time I decided in a favor of GX-10. After all, lower noises, better final possible picture, and all people around yelling "K10 is a semi-pro for a very good price" made me decide.

Yet... On Sain't Patrick's Day I've managed to shoot 30-40 minutes with an Olympus E-510. And then I saw the results. And, frankly speaking, my lazy soul fell in love with that camera... Yes, the results were SOMEWHAT worse, then the final results from my GX-10, which was with me as always. But still, pictures from Oly E-510 were in-camera JPEGs with default settings, while mine took alot of time for PP.

And the E-510 ergonomics is above all expectations. Everything is 1-2 clicks away, very nice, even without second wheel, which I became to be used of.

So I sold my GX-10 and got E-510 Double Kit... Or course, I used it just a bit, but still I can say already, that pictures from it require almost no PP. Extremely usable pics from camera directly, which is VERY appealing to me...

What I really will miss, is this community. Seems like Oly has no such great place to share information. I want to say THANK YOU everyone in this forum, this is a great place and a great community to live in!

As a gift... A picture of a rose, which grows in my house, made with my new camera. In-camera JPEG, internal flash, kit lens, no PP except for resizing.
It's all good. Shoot what makes you feel good.

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
using the best.

Comments Welcome.
The best what? If Canon makes you feel good then shoot it. I hope it makes you more money because those Mark IIIs are expensive. I make my living with photography and before I put food on the table I have to balance income with expenses. I do need good equipment, yes, but I also have to balance the cost of that equipment with the amount of money I make with it. If the gear goes up 300-700% my income has to go up by the same amount in order to still put food on the table. My clients are not going to pay me more money just because I bought a new camera. I can't say, "I am raising my prices by 300% to cover the cost of equipment that I think is better, but you probably won't notice a difference in the product I present to you."