Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should really hope that the Pentax does not compare with the the Mk III. There is quite a tirade in this month's Chasseurs d'Images towards Canon's treatment of the absolutely disastrous builds of an entire series of Mk IIIs. The Mk III resale price is tanked. It's not a wonderful camera when it works, it is a wonderful camera if it works.

03-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for kind words Actually I was not expecting that no negative posts will follow mine, that only proves that this forum is incredible place to stay!

QuoteQuote:
You should have tried the K20D - in-camera jpegs are incredible.
Well, when it will eventually become available, and it's price will drop to normal level, I'll try one for sure. We have a terrible situation with Pentax distribution here in Russia. I think I'll be able to actually see a K20 in May, and that's the best expectation.

QuoteQuote:
how does the olympus feel, ergonomically, to your old k10d?
Well... K10 is built like a tank, I cannot say that about E510 unfortunately. But as a compensation for this - it's like twice lighter. This actually does not matters really for me. The caps of Oly (memcards cap, battery cap) look fragile, they REALLY could make them better.

The ergonomics itself is very good. Tons of settings accessible with one-button press, and even more with large and detailed on-screen info table. Even thigs like Sharpenss, Saturation, etc. can be accessed VERY fast. E-510, unlike K10, has only one control wheel. So when I got to manual settings, I discovered that that wheel contols the exposure. I usually don't read the manuals So i just thought, how it WOULD be comfortable to change aperture with only one wheel available? I tried what came to my mind, and guess what? It worked! That was very pleasing, a really well thought out interface.

Generally it's more versatile then K10's, more changes can be made very fast. But as for really often changed parameters - it's like K10's interface, very similar feel.

One thing that really is better in 510 then in K10 is AE metering. Olympuses autoexposure is extremely accurate in different conditions, with or w/o flash, no matter. At least it is so with the kit lenses.

The E-510's AF is much more primitive then K10's. Only one cross-type point - the central one. And the other two (yes, ONLY 3 points) are horizontal. I usually use central one, so it's not an issue for me, but not for everyone perhaps. AF works much like K10's - if it says it's locked, you get a sharp image. If it's unsure, it does not lock. Same flash strobbing in dark conditions. As for AF speed, I did not feel any difference.

The VF of OLY is really small. This could be a big issue for a person wearing glasses. But it's very bright (they had dim ones in previous cameras). Somehow the colors in OLY's AF seem more natural then in K10's, no idea why.
03-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What ever works for you...

Ben
03-28-2008, 04:21 AM   #19
Inactive Account

get a Holga

03-28-2008, 04:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Enjoy your new toy and drop by once in a while to say hello.
03-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for a short review of E510 and good luck with your new camera. I used to have film Olympus and despite the weird shutter speed adjustment near the lens mount I really liked this camera. Especially that I paid only $3 for it (owner thought it was broken but all it needed is new battery for the light meter).
03-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Well good luck with your Oly.
All I can say is when I tried it (here in equatorial and sunny Singapore), the Oly has a tendency to clip highlights in scenes with very bright sunlight, an indication that the dynamic range isn't very wide. May not be a problem where you're located.

03-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

"Traitor"? What??

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
People, I must admit, you can call me a traitor now.
Pardon? You're just a *consumer*! "Traitor"? Is a brand a religion or something alike? :-)

QuoteQuote:
But still, pictures from Oly E-510 were in-camera JPEGs with default settings, while mine took alot of time for PP.
I don't like PP as it wastes me a lot of time, even with fast computers. I'd better to use the time to do something else in my life or just to take more photos.

I like DSLRs that can deliver good to at least acceptable results without requiring any PP.
03-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Using the best?

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
I haven't used the K20D but I still don't think it compares to something like the Mark III and that can be a problem if you want to be using the best.
You haven't used the K20D, you are shooting a K100D - and you want to be using the best? I don't understand. For many people the K20D is the best (within a certain budget).

I have seen many Canon users switch to Pentax (search the forum) because of many of the features that Pentax has. A short list: in body SR, the legendary lenses (not all - but there are several that are fantastic), cost of lenses are much less, etc.

I have a K20D. Yes, I looked at the 40D and the D300. After comparing the K20D picture quality and price of each system, I decided to upgrade my K10D to K20D, and I am very happy with the K20D. The picture quality of the K20D is much improved! It isn't the 46% additional pixels, it is the IQ itself that has improved visibly!

Besides, no camera will make you a better photographer...
03-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Use whatever works for you.

I've used so many brands of cameras and lenses over the years that the idea of "brand loyalty" or "fanboyism" makes absolutely no sense to me.

Camera equipment is just that ... equipment. Tools to do a job. Freaking out over what camera and lens a photographer uses is like freaking out over the type of brush and paint a painter uses. If you concentrate on the tools you aren't concentrating on the art.

The only reason to be brand-centric when it comes to cameras is so you don't have to spend a fortune buying a full kit for multiple mounts.

Back in the 90s I was shooting with Pentax 35mm and medium format gear. In the early 2000s I switched to Nikon and Fuji because at the time I "needed" to jump to digital Pentax still hadn't released the *ist D. I sold all my Pentax gear at that time when I moved to Nikon and Fuji.

In 2006 I sold all my Nikon and Fuji gear and switched to Canon because I finally bought into marketing hype rather than my own common sense. At the same time I picked up a *ist DL as a cheap travel DSLR. I found myself using the DL more than the Canon gear ... even for work.

I ended up selling all my Canon gear and moving back to Pentax with two additional K10D bodies and a bunch of lenses and flashes.

The only negative side to all that switching was that every time I switched systems I ended up LOSING money.

There was nothing seriously wrong with any of the systems I used. The only reason I didn't like Canon was because of the ergonomics and user interface, but in terms of the image output the Canon gear was just as good as anything else. The only reason I didn't go back to Nikon and Fuji is because the DL reminded me that Pentax designs cameras for photographers to use (the interface is easy and gets out of your way). However, I'm sure some people don't like the Pentax interface ... just like some people love Canon ergonomics.

Bottom line, use whatever works for you. A camera and lens are tools. When we start thinking that the camera brand is more important than the photographer then we are the ones who are the "tools."
03-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote

I don't like PP as it wastes me a lot of time, even with fast computers. I'd better to use the time to do something else in my life or just to take more photos.

I like DSLRs that can deliver good to at least acceptable results without requiring any PP.
That explains A LOT about your *reviews*...
03-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #27
Inactive Account

I was also considering going another route, like a Nikum, or a Canton, possibly even a Sonigram or an Olympian. But it would mean I would have to buy another hat, so opted for the K20
03-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Yeah, once you've bought a hat you are committed. Good thing the K20 is an amazing camera.
03-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #29
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by 2many Quote
I was also considering going another route, like a Nikum, or a Canton, possibly even a Sonigram or an Olympian. But it would mean I would have to buy another hat, so opted for the K20

THis is the best reason to upgrade to a K20d that I have read so far..
03-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Well,

to be perfectly honest, in another life I had a Oly OM setup and loved it, and sometimes I look if the grass isn't any greener at the Oly site. Until now I still returned to my loyal D. But have to say: the new Oly 420 + 25 pancake looks very tempting...

It's not what you use, it's the pictures you take with it that count. Have fun with the 510 and I hope you won't forget us here...