Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sensor Cleaning In Vegas!!!! Where Is The Best Place To Have It Done??

Ok folks, I have now been back in Vegas for three weeks now and am looking for a good camera repair store for my K-5.
I went up to Mt Charleston this weekend and did a little shooting and when I got back I started to notice that my sensor needed cleaning due to all the spots in the same spots on every shot, I did a dust check but none showed up, however I did an "old school" check and found many spots in the image.
Please....if you are from Las Vegas, steer me towards a good reputable place to have a sensor cleaning done, as these spots are driving me batty, I am already planning on heading out to B&C camera even though it looks like they dont even sell anything much that is Pentax (just the little WG-2 cameras, I could go to Target to get one of those if I want one)
Thanks in advance....

OH! it sure is awesome finally getting back in Vegas! Just loving it here enjoying life without ALL THE BUGS!!!!!

09-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried the built in sensor cleaning? That works quite well on the k-5. And if it turns out you actually need a complete wet cleaning most shops can do that, they don't have to be Pentax specific.

Dust removal procedure in order:

1) Use the camera dust removal system (shaker) There is a menu setting to turn on/off. If you have dust run this several times in a row and then check for dust again. I leave mine on "run on startup" and think that is best so you don't have to worry about it.
2) Use a 'rocket blower' or equivalent to blow off anything the shaker will not get rid of. Do not use compressed air or canned air. Some folks report it is OK to use canned air if you are careful, personally I'm not taking any chances.
3) Use a wet cleaning kit. This is the last resort, and on two cameras with over 25,000 actuations in all kinds of environments I've never had to use one yet. Get this if all else fails but don't go there unless you are sure you need it.
4) Send in for professional cleaning. Pentax extended warranty (in the US) includes one 'free' cleaning. Not sure about anywhere else.
10-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have found the rocket blower technique useful on my k-5 when the onboard system was not. I cleaned my GX-10 sensor with a kit I bought on Ebay. That worked well also.
10-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I live in Vegas but unfortunately I know anywhere to get that done. Sorry.

10-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I have tried all the sensor cleaning techniques mentioned above, however when I have the sensor exposed so that I can inspect it, I see what looks to be water spots on the sensor, I am sure a cleaning will take care of that.
I am going by the B&C Camera place today, I will post my results.
10-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok folks....I got the K-5 into B&C camera, they had a friendly older gentleman there that really knew what he was doing, however the sensor cleaning may seem a bit too much, but I got it done for $70. I usually have bad luck cleaning my sensor by myself seeing as I would need to actually touch the sensor with some sort of cleaning swab....when it comes to things like that, I usually break something as delicate as a camera sensor, in the past I have just blown the dust out, but this time it looked like there was water spots that needed more involved cleaning procedure that I felt was best left to a professional.
It also turns out that the actual store was really nice even though they had absolutely no Pentax ANYTHING there, but I managed to pick up a nice new Op/Tech USA strap there, which is way nicer than the stock strap that came with my camera, i got it at a nice price too.
They have tons of accessories such as camera bags/cases, tripods, lighting equipment....etc.
I am still looking for something local that carries Pentax, and if and when I do I will post it here.